SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garyg_gw

1st electric bill with new 14 SEER unit

garyg
16 years ago

Maryland electric rates have gone up 65% thanks to de-regulation and no competition. To combat this, I replaced a functioning 21 year-old, 7 SEER, Trane heat pump with a new 14 SEER Goodman unit. I estimated cost savings of 45% for cooling and heating (heat pump only) based on a comparison of the Running Load Amps on the condensor data plates.

House is all-electric, fairly well-insulated, 1800 square-foot split foyer in Baltimore built in 1986. It's just the boss and I, no kids. I have the hot water tank set to 125 degrees - who needs a piping hot shower in the heat of the summer? We have 2 fridges - one for beer, soda, and Snapple. I have a programmable t-stat set to 80 while we are at work, 74 when we come home at 4:30, 73 at night and before we go to work. I use celing fans to help circulate the air and sometimes run the air handler fan 12 hours/day.

July was not as oppressive as it can get in B-more - August is pretty nasty so far. Total kilowatts consumed in July was 838 for a monthly electric bill of $112. I think the 2 level style of the house helps greatly - there is no stuffy 3rd floor that traps a lot of heat.

Comments (15)