SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Need help quick on how to fit 2 large sofas in a smallish living room

CJ Mac
8 years ago

We need new sofas badly. A local store is going out of business and has a good price on 2 sofas that sit nice and high and firm which is what we want. But our current configuration is one 75" sofa and one 60" loveseat in an L-configuration. We could definitely fit one 84" sofa, but adding another the same size will make it a tight squeeze to enter into the living room space.

There are 3 large (Jesper) bookcases behind our longer sofa. If we could move them, then the sofa could go against the wall and allow more room for a 2nd large sofa in the L-config. But where to put those bookcases is the problem. If put on the opposite wall where the TV is, we would only have about 40-inches to add a TV stand. Jesper does make a TV unit, but last time we checked it was about $2000 and we're not sure we want to do that.

The wall by our front door could just barely hold all the bookcases--but we think it would look odd to have them right there.

We could break up the set of three and put one on either side of the current TV cabinet, but since the cabinet doesn't match exactly, I'm not sure how it would work--and then where to put the 3rd one.

Okay, enough talk. Here are some pictures. I'm not creative with furniture so hoping someone out there will have ideas.

That measuring tape shows how much further an 84" sofa would stick out--and that's with having the other sofa about as close to the bookcases as possible. It could be pulled back further, but it would still be awkward to have such a narrow space to enter into that area.

Here's the sofa we're looking at: it came out looking beige but the color is "celery." It's definitely green, but a lighter green than our present sofas--and I really had wanted to go darker or have a print (we have 2 cats). The store is telling us (naturally) that someone else is interested in at least one of these sofas, so we'd better decide fast. We like the fit/feel but maybe we should forget about them? Don't know where else we can buy this brand, though (Masterfield).

Thanks for your help!

Comments (10)