SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjeaners

Need help ASAP w/ whether to add pantry to kitchen area

kjeaners
8 years ago

Not having a pantry has nagged me since we started with this plan and now we are too far along (FRAMING) to change without taking space from the dining room. A few things to consider, then I'll list my ideas:

1. "Dining" room may be used in different capacities at different stages in our lives. For instance, as a secondary playroom (we have 3 young children) or office. If used as dining, would only be needed for parties/holidays, as we have a breakfast area and large island which we would use daily. Husband is concerned about people having to walk around from kitchen through foyer to get to dining if we closed off direct doorway access from kitchen.

2. Builder is concerned any modifications will make dining room too small.

3. Husband is concerned mods making entry into dining smaller (than current 6' cased opening) will make you feel like you are "staring at a wall" when you walk in the front door. I feel, upon entry, person's eye would be drawn to large windows on back of house which showcase a lake view and/or to the staircase to the right which will be open and a nice architectural feature.

4. This is a Craftsman-inspired house on the lake. Mid-to-lower-high-end ;) finishes. Family of five, plus a dog, with a casual, lake-loving lifestyle but a slightly neurotic mom (me) who likes everything to have a place!

5. We are keeping resale ramifications in mind to an extent; however, barring something major, this will be our forever home.

Now, on to my ideas (one window location in dining would have to be shifted over with ideas #1-3):

1. Closet-style pantry with door between wall ovens and refrigerator, with a coat closet at end with door entry from foyer. Approximately 2' of useable depth but with drywall, etc. around 3' of space taken from dining and would reduce dining room to approximately 12'5" x 11'2" and dining entry to approximately 4' cased opening.

2. Butler's pantry with open doorways (preserving direct access) from kitchen to dining, with a coat closet at end with door entry from foyer. Same dimension changes as #1.

**See my very crude drawing of ideas 1 and 2**

3. Small closet-style pantry in upper left-hand (looking at plans) corner of dining. This would only take that corner of space and necessitate shifting window but would not reduce size of dining room other than that. The 6' cased opening to enter dining would be preserved, as would direct access from kitchen to dining. However, this would be a smaller pantry space and I'm concerned it would look like a weird closet stuck in the dining room haphazardly (but maybe wouldn't look so strange if room used as playroom or office??).

4. Very shallow closet-style pantry along upper right-hand dining wall (between opening from kitchen and opening from foyer). Basically just deep enough for shelves that would fit a typical cereal box. This would require a smaller reduction of the 6' cased opening from the foyer. I'm thinking a barn-door style (though in keeping with Craftsman aesthetic) door that might give enough visual interest so as not to make pantry look like it was slopped in there last minute (even though it was).

5. Keep plan as is and hope our cabinet people can design a practical pantry cabinet within confines of kitchen itself. We have one in our current home and I'm not a fan--it takes me forever to unload groceries because fitting everything in it while still being accessible is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle! However, we had a different style of pantry cabinet in our previous home that I loved, so I know it can work if designed well.

Phew! Sorry for the novel--just trying to put it all out there. I hope it makes sense! Anyone who made it through my dissertation there, please take a look at my pics and let me know your thoughts! THANKS!!

Comments (9)