SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Help asap - dropped ceiling above sink area only?

bluekitobsessed
16 years ago

Let me see if I can explain this without benefit of photos.... Kitchen and family room together, open floor plan circa 1988. Kitchen had 6 inch dropped ceiling with panel of fluorescent lights (floor to ceiling is 7.5 ft); FR has standard 8 ft ceilings. Original concept was to get rid of dropped ceiling in kitchen to have 1 ceiling throughout kitchen and FR (retexturing drywall as needed), replace fluorescent panel with recessed lights. On west wall of kitchen is sink/window centered together, flanked by 2 upper cabinets (pretty standard layout). New kitchen has essentially the same, 39 inches tall, prepped for glass insert. All uppers are 39 inches tall with 3 inches crown molding. Cabinets arrived yesterday and cannot be returned. I live in California.

Problem: when we opened the ceiling, there are too many plumbing drain pipes in the dropped ceiling, all clustered near the window. Very hard to raise ceiling. Choices:

1. Keep ceiling dropped above window only, install molding. Upper cabinets will extend pretty far down (below eye level, and I'm short) and backsplash will be 12 inches max. Dropped ceiling will extend about 42 inches out. I think it would look weird but my GC is voting for that.

2. Same as 1, but delete crown molding (or possibly order 1 inch molding if there is such a critter), backsplash will be 15 inches.

3. Hassle with raising the ceiling throughout kitchen (per original concept), which involves notching beams and more $.

4. Keep dropped ceiling throughout whole kitchen (back to original construction) but have a large 6" "raised" area (8 ft ceiling) where the fluorescent panel used to be. Several of my neighbors have done this. I think it looks weird.

Help!

Comments (10)