SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yolande_1951

Layout help needed asap

yolande_1951
16 years ago

Hi all,

Sorry to post this again, but I thought the subject line might me clearer. Been lurking here and reading the posts and hope all you knowledgeable could help tweak my design.

Here are pictures of my current kitchen that I love. We are hoping to redo it to get rid of the wall that houses the angled pantry (picture 042jpg). We have a design from a KD, and I want to do a white kitchen again with oak floors, black granite, and I would even use the same tiles if I could find them (they are discontinued from "Country Floors" - any ideas?). My goal is to get rid of the wall and to have an island for more usable counter space. I also would like 2 ovens, if possible and a reasonable place for the mw. I am undecided as to gas or induction - have a 25 year old electric coil hotpoint stove right now that is still working fine. The kitchen would then be 14 ft x 14 ft.

Once we get rid of the wall, we will be minus the 2 pantries on it. Fortunately, on the north wall that you can see just beyond the angled pantry in 042jpg, there is a large closet that runs under the stairs and therefore goes from full height to about 2 feet high. In the KD's design he put 1 or 2 ovens in the high part of the closet along with the mw; to the left there is a type of pull-out pantry and then to the left of that, as the cupboard gets lower, there would be drawers or some other rollouts to fill the space.

I do not want my mw so far from the fridge or from a counter and I don't want the 2 ovens that far from the cooktop. In the design, the cooktop is on the south wall and a large clean-up sink is on the west wall. There will be a prep sink in the island, where I expect to do most of my prep: facing out into the family room and outside to our lovely garden.

We have toyed with exchanging the large sink/dw with the cooktop.

Some alternatives that we have thought of are:

1. Still on the south wall, use a range instead of a cook top to give us one oven, and then rearrange the closet/pantry on that north wall so that the high part would be a more efficient pantry, with rollout drawers or vertical pullouts. A second oven would then go into the lower part of the closet, wherever we could fit it. When we moved into the house 24 years ago there actually was an oven in this position.

2. Still on the south wall, use a cooktop, either gas or induction, and then put a wall oven into a lower cabinet either under or adjacent to it, and continue the closet/ pantry as in 1. above.

3 Where does the mw go? ? in the island?

Hope you can give me feedback and help with my layout. People on this forum have great ideas and wonderful experience.

Thanks,

Judy

wall that is coming out with angled pantry and wall containing closet/pantry 0042jpg North wall

wall (with pantries)that is coming out

south wall and door to diningroom

tile that I love.

tile that I love. Want to get more, but it's disc

south wall of kitchen

west wall

view into kitchen to the west; south wall on left, penninsula ahead

KD's design

Photobucket

Comments (17)

• Buehl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Judy, How much are you willing to change your kitchen around? No, I don't have something in mind right this minute, but I'd like to look at it on and off today (when I need a break from all this documentation!) and this evening.

FYI...I did look at a few single wall ovens and they all need more than 24" in height for installation...even the 24" ones.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Any chance you could post a layout of the current kitchen?

I don't see how you'd prep and face the family room? It wouldn't be convenient to stand at the end of the island to do that.

The sink area seems tight...The aisle from the dining room is only about 30", and if the dw is open, it blocks the cook's access to the fridge.

I missed any other posts, so don't know how many cooks or what size family this kitchen serves.

• Related Discussions

Layout help needed ASAP!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    Whoops, wrong link. Hope this works:) Here is a link that might be useful: Layout
    ...See More

urgent- tile layout advice needed asap

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't think it's a big deal to have the tiles not centered in the doorway. To me, it's more important to avoid slivers and weird cuts. The "finger" won't be too fragile to lay, but you may break a couple tiles trying to cut it on the wet saw. Also, the "proper" way to lay tiles around doorways is to cut the door jamb with a jamb saw and run the tile underneath it. That would avoid the finger.
    ...See More

need help choosing sink color need to order asap! (pic)

Q

Comments (9)
    I had a similar situation in my kitchen with a dark golden brown countertop and a Silgranit sink. I went with the Cafe Brown color even though nothing else in my kitchen was brown and the trim was all white because the sink blended with the counters better. I love it. I think you'd be really happy with the black for that reason. Also, my dark sink really does hide stains, discoloration, etc. I almost fear ever returning to a white sink!
    ...See More

Need a recessed light layout for bathroom ASAP!

Q

Comments (3)
    the two should be fine. in my spare bath I have one over the shower and just the vanity light,,,(has 4-60w bulbs). plenty of light. 2 cans over a vanity, plus your vanity light, seems a bit much. example of your size bath (give or take) with only vanity light and shower light two smaller shower lights, vanity light
    ...See More
  • yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buehl: thanks, we are planning to gut the whole thing and take out that waall. and I am willing to look at all suggestions. Are you saying that we could not put a wall oven in a bottom cupboard? or are you speaking o the one in the closet wall- we can be flexible to place that one where it fits in the closet and work the pantry around it.

Rhome410: I will try to post a layout in a few hours. I think the aisle at the point where the dishwasher is located is 42 in wide from the island. At the entrance from the dining room, it is 36in. Those lines in the KD plan indicate number of drawers, but sort of obscure the 6 inch mark.
    We have finally found a reasonable quote for the construction from someone who has worked for us before, so now we are really anxious to get things settled.
    Thanks,
    Judy

We are now 2 people but my kids like to cook so when they are home we are 2 perhaps 3, but that doesn't happen much. I would put the prep sink in the middle of the island opposite the stove, and can still look out towards the garden.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

No...I was just mentioning that the oven would not fit in a 24" high space, that's all. You'll have to go far enough over to fit somewhere in the vicinity of 30"...I think. I'm not sure, so don't quote me on it! I don't know the slope of the steps for certain so I don't know how far over you would have to go. If it's too far, you may not have enough room to put in a wide enough pantry. Just some things to think about it, that's all. (BTW...what's next to the ovens...to the left? The item w/an "X")

Oh, does your proposed island go right up to the step down to the FR?

When you post your layout, please also let us know the height at each end of the area under the stairs and the width that's available to use.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the current layout showing the west wall on the left. on the far right of the page is the step down to our family room. The bottom is the south wall with the door to the dining room. At the top is the door to the hallway.
    We will take out the wall with the angled pantry and reveal the wall that has the closet under the stairs.

Thanks,
    Judy

Current kitchen layout

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

What is the purpose of removing the wall with the pantries? It sounds like you have a lovely kitchen that you enjoy working in -- I'm trying to understand the reason for the structural change?

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are 2 entries to the family room,which is bizarre. the counter at right angles to the penninsula is never used except as a place for buffets, because it is out of the kitchen work area. removing the wall would open up the room to the backyard.

The island goes right to the step. The item to the left was a rollout pantry. I want to rearrange the area to use the high part for pantry, and as low as we can go for the 2nd oven. I also don't want to put the MW in the island or this closet, so we are looking at beside the fridge on a shelf other thoughts?

We can always make the island a little shorter to give more room to the fridge/sink/DW wall. My husband wants to change the shape of the island to be a little different: starting out at 48-54 at the end near the fridge/sink/DW wall and tapering to 36inches near the step - an odd shape, but pretty. We also are thinking of a cappucino bar where the step and the new pantry wall would meet.

Here are the dimensions of the closet.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, I am anxiously awaiting some advice. Anyone have time to give me some ideas? THanks a million.

Judy

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Maybe you have stumped us! Or maybe we, at least, have nothing to add that will improve things...

My problem is that currently I see a lovely, serene, gracious looking/feeling kitchen, but the plans make a new small kitchen without the same homey feel. I can see the challenges, though, of your current kitchen when I look at the floor plan. In the new plan I want to move the sink out of the traffic path to the dining room, but not sure where...Swapping the pantry and ovens? Maybe. I guess it's my only suggestion. Even where it is, it's better than having the range and sink in the path!

The plan looks a little short on counter space, but when I study it, I think there is enough, and in the right places...So that's what counts.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response, rhome410. Do you think I shouldn't do it?

What do you mean swaping the pantry and ovens?

I just went to a large store in Toronto and looked at lots of wall ovens installed under the counter. THey are much too low! So i want to put a microwave/ oven combo on the south wall. THis will take some counter space away. What do you think? I can't think of anything else to do.

Alternative: If I put 2 ovens in the angled closet on the North wall. is that too far from everything else? I thought so, but it is difficult to make all the choices and compromises. I would then have to find adeqate pantry space. If we are doing it I want it to be terrific.

Thanks,

Judy
    Judy

• rhome410
    16 years ago

So sorry about the thinking faster than typing...I meant maybe swap the sink and dw with the pantry and ovens, creating a whole wall of tall things, so that only things opened momentarily will be on that aisle to the fridge from the range, and to the dining room.

If you are talking about doing a micro-oven stack, I don't know how you'd fit that on the south wall with the range in the new plan. You need all the counter space there is there.

Are we just confusing each other?

One thing we sure agree on...I wouldn't want my oven that low, either. I gave up on ranges for our new kitchen. I've had them all my life, but wanted the oven up higher.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am getting more and more confused. But, i'll think on all your suggestions. They are interesting and creative. Thanks.

Judy

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Just to clarify my only 2 points, since I know things got all jumbled:

1) With the new plan you have, couldn't you stack a microwave and oven on the north wall where you already show the microwave and oven? Why would they have to move to the south wall?

2) BUT, I worry about the dishwasher and sink being in the way of the west aisle, and wonder if you couldn't move those to the north wall and move the ovens and pantry over by the fridge.

I hope that's clearer.

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes. That's clearer. My problem with the north wall is the distance from everything else.

But if I actually put the mw/oven in the spot on the west wall where the sink is drawn in, and put a large sink/ dw in the island, although I would lose some island space, and the smaller sink, it might be the better arrangement. I could make the island 9 feet long and 48 inches wide and move it a few inches closer to the north wall so that there would be a 48-50 inch space, so we could cook at the cooktop and wash/prepare at the sink simultaneously. What do you think?

It is good to think with others, and I appreciate your time.

Judy

• bmorepanic
    16 years ago

It makes a better work flow. Nice suggestion rhome. I think you have almost 18" you could "use up" between an increased aisle between range and new sink location and extra depth on the island.

The last cabinet in the island seems to be hanging partially over a step?

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Sounds good if you'll think you have enough room (and enough sinks) for the 2 of you and when the kids are home and working with you in the kitchen. Don't want to redo and have everyone vying for the same spot on the floor or at the same spot at the counter. That's something only you can figure out...We all do things differently and have different amounts and kinds of 'help.'

• yolande_1951
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks, rhome and bmorepanic. The kitchen designer from the cabinet makers was here today and she is going to do a 3d mock up with the mw/oven on the west wall, and one larger sink in the island. We will see it a week Monday. I'll keep you posted.

Judy