SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

urgent- tile layout advice needed asap

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Hi all-

I'm in the middle of dry-laying the slate floor for our mudroom. I did the whole chalk-line thing, using the middle of the room as a starting point as the books say, which left no slivers on any of the walls... But the room is small, and the most visual aspect seems to be the long view of the doorway (no door) from the kitchen. See photos below.

Should I re-lay it all so that the three tiles are centered in that doorway? If I do that, it creates just one problem area: in the corner that is adjascent to the basement stairs door, I would have to cut one of the tiles so that it had a little "finger" that wraps around the door jamb, only 1 1/8" wide. Is that too fragile? Or is it not a big deal because it's such a "short" "finger"? See the second photo.

Or- do you think it looks just fine the way it is and leave it be (a lot less work than re-laying it all!)

What would you do?

Thanks!!

View from the kitchen:

The problem that would arise if I shifted it all to be centered in the kitchen doorway: that tile in the upper right corner would shift DOWN 1 1/8", requiring the tile at the top of the steps to have a little skinny finger wrapping around that door frame....

Comments (3)