SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherine_in_jasper

Need Advice ASAP-Rooster Rescued Sunday-Possibly Injured

Hello -

Is anyone online to offer advice? I live back in a wooded area and a rooster has wandered up. I can't reach them or anyone else.

I finally managed to catch him, because I was concerned about his safety and he had literally a horde of flies tormenting his rear end and maggots too, so I couldn't just bear to do nothing while he suffered. They were 'so loud' that I was in disbelief. When I went inside for towels to catch him in he disappeared into the brush, and all I had to do was listen for the fly uproar in order to find him.

He was very hungry eating the wild bird seed I threw for him. I caught him in a towel, and wearing rubber gloves, have gently water sprayed down his entire rear area trying to get the thousands of fly larvae off. After awhile, I still couldn't get them all off (having only two hands, plus holding his neck gently so he wouldn't get away, although he was very cooperative). I didn't want him to get shock, not knowing how exhausted he might be. I then smeared swat, a fly repellent wound treatment as best as possible. But there's no blood or open wound per se, just that clot of maggots and stuff. Something's wrong somewhere, causing it.

I didn't see anything that from my knowledge of pet birds, horses, and mostly dogs and cats would cause those flies to have taken hold. But - I know zero about a rooster's hind end and have never seen one underneath the feathers. What I did see looks nothing like the pet birds, macaws, cockatoos, smaller birds I've had, which is basically dry skin and then the opening.

Trying to say it delicately, I am worried because he has a large, dark moist (slimy-ish) area visible during the bathing that is the area the maggots were covering. Or else they're inside?? and coming out and latching on there. What is causing the fly and maggot nest? It's horrible! I want to do something, but what?? I could never leave an animal like that.

So now he's in a wire dog crate open to the ground for safekeeping until I hopefully hear from who I think owns him. They have a batch of chickens and roosters that hang out near the road. I went out to check on him and give him more food and water. After washing off everything loose, and there was stuck in the feathers what looked like a bunch of sawdust, but may have been tiny maggots - I don't know - the maggots are all back covering that large rear area, so the flies are back as well.

He has had some relief from the bath and treatment. For sure - I truly cannot afford a vet bill unless it's a genuine emergency, and then that means taking money away from my dog who is waiting for a harmless tumor to be removed as soon as the more urgent bills are covered.

*What is going on with that fly business?? Is he suffering from the flies like I imagine he was?

He appears fine in the shade in the crate, pecking at the ground. I will go take him so more food after I post this. But something sure isn't right.

Comments (9)