SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdamy

Help me choose paint color for my new kitchen

Amy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are deep into the process of a DIY remodel of our kitchen, and now I seek advice and ideas about wall color. I have read other threads seeking paint color advice and I'm always astonished at the very fine suggestions that I would not have thought of myself. Thanks to the generous people who contribute their expertise and creativity. Our dominant colors are grey floor, natural cherry cabinets, and grey or black counters (details below).

The attached image shows the layout and a very rough approximation of floor, cabinet, and counter color - limited by what the IKEA planner lets me control.

Relevant information:

Floor: Marmoleum Click, Eternity color, a medium gray.

Cabinets: Natural Cherry Shaker-style (from Semihandmade).

Counter: Medium gray to black, Quartz, leaning toward black but undecided. Backsplash will be 4" tall strip of the same material as the counters.

Appliances: Stainless.

Layout: 9.5x11.5 foot enclosed u-shape layout.

Windows: Large windows above counters on south and west walls provide good light.

Door and Window Trim: Considering cherry to match the cabinets, open to suggestions.

House style: 1948 post-war slab-on-grade 1000 sq ft suburban Bay Area tract home, the rest of the house is decorated in a simple, modern, unadorned style. Everything in the house was yellow (carpets, tile, interior and exterior paint, curtains, countertops) when we bought it years ago, and we have gradually replaced everything so that we no longer have anything remotely resembling yellow. The kitchen is the final step in our yellow-elimination program and we will not consider anything that resembles yellow!

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice. Amy (and DH James)

Comments (17)