SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lg82611

Soon-to-be Step Parent

lg82611
8 years ago

Ok, I've got a difficult situation here so stick with me. I am infertile and cannot have children. Infertility caused a lot of emotional and financial stress on my marriage. We decided to call it quits on trying to conceive and it caused us to be unsure of what we wanted in life. We decided to take a break and re-evaluate what we wanted.

During our our break we both slept with other people but ultimately decided to get back together. We are much happier and solid in our marriage. However, shortly after getting back together, a woman he slept with turned up pregnant.

This woman wanted to give the baby up for adoption and was asking for my H's consent. A normal woman probably wouldn't want anything to do with this baby but as an infertile woman, this will be the only chance my H ever gets to be a biological father.

So after much deliberation we agreed to take the baby *even if it isn't his*. Birth mother will relinquish rights at birth and I will step-parent adopt. She's 30 weeks pregnant right now so we only have two months to go and I have some concerns.

1. H's insurance obviously can't cover this woman since I am his wife and the woman is on Medicaid. Will H have to pay back the money for the birth? Even if his insurance immediately takes over for the baby when born? We live in Missouri.

2. The birth mother is currently in a custody battle for her son (12). Will willingly terminating her rights hurt her in her fight for her older son?

3. Will H have to undergo a paternity test since he is married to me or can he just sign the birth certificate?

4. Any idea what a step-parent adoption will cost us with birth mom willingly terminating her rights?

Thanks in advance! I know this is confusing.

Comments (5)