SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

School me on custom built-in library shelves

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We are going to have shelves custom made for our library and have identified the craftsman for the job. Before he comes out to discuss specifics, I'd like to be armed with more knowledge myself. We will have them installed on this long wall, where you see the small (overloaded) bookshelves:

And they'll be very similar to this unit that the craftsman built for another customer. We won't have a scalloped bottom though, and may want the "columns" separating each unit to be a bit more substantial, but this is still very close to what we want.

When it comes to installing built-ins like these, what is typically done with existing baseboard? I assume it's cut out and discarded so the built-ins can fit flush in the space? (Baseboards are about 5".)

And what about the carpet? Somewhere down the line we may wish to recarpet or install hardwood. Is the existing carpet and pad cut away from beneath where the built-ins will sit? If not, then if we ever go to replace the carpet, would it just be cut out right up against where the built-ins start? Does this even make sense?

Height-wise, we like the looks of the example pic, with a bit of space left between the top of the unit and the ceiling. Our ceilings are 9 feet tall in this space. What would be a reasonable height for the cabinet and still allow for that space on top?

Finally, DH wants to make sure that the craftsman leaves the existing electrical plugs exposed, I assume he can simply do a cut out in the cabinet to accommodate them.

We know the craftsman uses hardwoods and no MDF. We want ours painted white like the unit shown above. Is there anything else we should be mindful of before meeting with him?

Comments (79)