SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wekivak

Kitchen Layout- starting from scratch

wekivak
8 years ago

We are doing a total home rehab (gut job), and trying to decide the most functional layout for the kitchen within given parameters. Right now, the windows can be moved or removed, and the plumbing will go where we need it.

Things I must have: gas range (if finances allow, professional), very large island with seating for at least 5 (we have 5 children and homeschool, this space will be frequently used for eating as well as many other activities), and a large sink.

Pantry and stairs stay put - the house is 100 years old and these are some of the few things that are in condition to be saved, so I am saving them.

The kitchen is wide open to the living and dining area, and the wall on the left of the drawing (with the window) faces the back yard. I would like to have the sink under that window if possible, but am more than happy to move it if there is a more functional layout. I would prefer to NOT have a main sink in the island, as we don't want dishes piled up taking away from the space. A prep sink would be fine, just want a larger one along the perimeter somewhere.

I welcome any thoughts, ideas, and questions!

Comments (29)