SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Singer touch and sew problems

bkay2000
8 years ago

I have a singer Touch and Sew portable 778 that I bought new back in the 70's. I've never used it much because it doesn't sew evenly. I sent it to the shop, but it didn't make any difference, so it's pretty much set in the closet for years.
A couple of months ago, I decided that I wanted to make a quilt. I didn't want to use the portable, so I bought a used Touch and Sew 758. (I had forgotten about the even sewing problem.) It's the same machine, only in a cabinet. It has the exact same problem.

I don't know how to describe the problem, so I've attached a photo. I've tried all the thread tension settings and it doesn't help. If you sew something like a curtain, and sew up on one side and down on the other, it will be skewed. If you sew two same length pieces, the bottom one will come out short. The seams just don't lay flat.

I just replaced the feed dogs on the purchased machine with similar smooth plastic ones similar ones came on the machine. I noticed that there are some metal "toothed" ones (plastic toothed ones,also) available at parts places. (I'm not sure that has to do with anything - just throwing it out there.)

Any ideas on how to solve the problem or where to go for help?

bk

Comments (13)