SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sashacb

Old Singer Touch and Sew bobbin trouble

sashacb
9 years ago

Hello!

I've inherited a great old Singer Touch and Sew 620, and it's been running great until just recently. The bobbin thread got all knotted up one day while sewing, to the extent that I needed to cut out some of it to get it clean. I noticed that the bobbin was broken, so I put in a new one and went to wind it the usual way. Nope!

1) When I run the machine, the needle hits something metal in the bobbin casement.

2) I can use my hand to turn the bobbin casement so that the needle doesn't hit the metal, but it doesn't stay shifted that way long. It really seems like the machine wants the bobbin casement to be turned in such a way that the needle's going to hit it every time it comes down. For instance, if have the casement shifted so the needle doesn't hit the casement, and then I release the bobbin winding lever to put it back in "sewing" mode, the casement shifts back to the bad position where the needle will run into it.

3) Nothing down in the bobbin area moves much. It shifts a little, but when I go to wind the bobbin (even when I've shifted the casement so it's not being hit by the needle) nothing happens. The bobbin doesn't spin like it's supposed to. It's really pretty still down there.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be wrong, or what I should try to fix it? Thank you!!

Comments (23)

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

Did you clean out well around the bobbin? It could be that the bobbin is hanging on some lint and not turning enough for the needle to go in right.

• sashacb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I think I cleaned it out pretty well. I used a cue-tip to clean it and tweezers to get out a couple of stuck threads. After so many other efforts failed, I tried a can of air too, to dust things out in there.

I haven't tried to take things further apart than removing the bobbin and its casement. Not sure if I can take it further apart than that, really.

• Related Discussions

Singer Touch and Sew 600

Q

Comments (11)
    Do you have the bobbin winder disengaged? It is the little silver knob on the right hand side of the machine. Down is engaged. I sew everyday on a 600. You can take the top and bottom off and put lube on the metal gears and oil everything else that moves. Take the bobbin shuttle out and and the throat plate off. Dust really good there and put a few drops of oil where the bobbin shuttle goes. Good Luck, Susan
    ...See More

Anyone use Singer Touch 'n' Sew?

Q

Comments (241)
    childstar, I have some questions. i have several machines, including 2 Singer Touch & Sews. One is a 600E, which i think was made in 1966. The other is a 626, made in 1967. The 626 has nylon gears that fell apart in my hand when i undid the bottom to check. But the 600E has metal gears. Is it worth fixing the 626? And, if i see metal gears in the 600E, does that mean it is a good machine worth keeping?
    ...See More

Touch and Sew flat bobbin HELP to reload it please!

Q

Comments (1)
    Middle of the page, bobbin winding. Here is a link that might be useful: Touch 'n sew 700 series
    ...See More

tangling on bobbin singer touch & sew mod 603e

Q

Comments (1)
    First thing I check is that the bobbin is loaded properly in the correct direction. Second is that the needle is inserted properly in the correct direction. You manual might contain some troubleshooting tips if that doesn't correct the prob. If you do not have the manual, you can usually find them online.... http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals I did a search for 603e - there is a free downloadable file
    ...See More
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Look in your manual if you have it...or look on line. It sounds like the bobbin case is not positioned properly and something isn't sitting properly if the bobbin isn't moving.

• sashacb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! The manual doesn't really cover troubleshooting, or anything like that. It tells me how to clean the machine, which I've done, hoping that would fix it. And it tells me how to wind the bobbin of course, but not what it might mean when that's not working.

I've tried looking online, but everyone I've found with a remotely similar problem seems to have a sufficiently different kind of machine that their solutions don't fit up with the parts of my Touch and Sew. I could be overlooking something somewhere, especially since I'm new at sewing and I don't always understand the terminology. I ended up registering for this site specifically because in all my searching, this seemed like the friendliest and most knowledgeable forum.

OH and just to add a detail: when the original problem started, my needle froze up for a while, and wouldn't move. I think I eventually got it to move again by easing it back and forth on the hand dial.

The only thing I can think from matching up my problem to the vaguely similar problems of other people with different machines, is that it might be a timing problem? (Whatever that is...) Does that sound plausible to anyone here? Any idea of how to confirm if that's what's going on or not?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Timing certainly could be an issue. Timing has to do with things like when the needle goes down where the shuttle on the bobbin is and so on...everything has to sync up properly for the machine to sew and if it doesn't it could be a real mess.

• ratherbesewing
    9 years ago

Have you replaced the needle? If it is bent or dull, it can create big problems.

• sashacb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The needle is slightly bent just at the tip, but I'm pretty confident that the bend is a result of the problem, not the (sole, at least) cause. The needle hitting the metal of the bobbin casement area ruined the sharp tip, by bending it just a little. When I put in a fresh needle, I can tell by using the hand wheel that the needle would hit the metal again if I let it. I switched the needle with the ruined tip back in, so I don't ruin any more needles before I get this figured out.

I am still wading through other forums online, hoping for an idea that applies to my machine, but I haven't found anything so far. I hope I can still figure it out, but I'm maybe a few weeks' frustration away from shelling out for a repair! My husband wants to take the machine apart and take a look at the insides, but without a sense of what it's supposed to look like in there, I don't know how much luck we'd have at identifying any visible problems, and I certainly don't want to risk messing anything else up. I think I'd rather pay a professional.

Thanks to anyone with ideas or suggestions!

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

I agree that the problem may well be the needle. Sometimes only a slight bend can cause stitch problems. Also you need to make sure your needle is the correct length and that it is inserted properly. After all it's an easy step to try and might well correct your problem. I always heard "Start with your simplest problem first.then go from there. Good luck with it. I also have a Touch and Sew but mine is a 758.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Yes, Liddy... start simple. You just reminded me of another issue I experienced many years ago. My repairman got very frustrated with me when I brought my commercial back for the third time.

He would check it out, test the stitches and tell me I was good to go. Back at the shop after several minutes of sewing the stitch would fail.

Come to find out.... He took a good long time to meditate on the problem... the actual bobbin case was very slightly bent. New bobbin case --> no more problems.

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Thonotorose, I once had problems with my car. It would DE-cylerate
    when I pressed the pedal to go faster. I spoke to a friend of mine who knew mechanics. He said "What's different and have you changed anything?" I said "nothing, but we did buy a new gas-cap" He said, "That's it". Believe it or not that WAS it. It was a vent-less gas cap and it wasn't like the factory issued cap. We changed out the gas-cap and had no further problems. My whole point is this....It may be something that you think is absolutely unrelated that may be causing your problem.

• sashacb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello!

Thank you all so much for your helpful ideas and explanations. Life has been pulling me away from my sewing machine for awhile, but now I'm back and ready to solve this problem!

Thonotorose, I took things apart like you said and it helped me understand exactly which part wasn't behaving like it normally does. The hoop or ring that has the hook in it, that's my culprit. (What is the name for that ring? It's been hard to research solutions and communicate about my problem when I don't always have the right names for things!)

I did like you said, and turned the hand wheel to move my (new!) needle down toward the hook... but the hook doesn't move at all. When the needle is in position, the hook is maybe at 11 o'clock. Too far from the needle, and not available to catch the thread.

I can move the ring that the hook is on manually, and it will start to rotate more like it ought to, and I can even manually force it to catch the thread loop... but even then it still doesn't move exactly like it ought to, because it only moves for one or two cycles of the needle, and when it stops, it's positioned under the needle such that a solid metal part of the hook's ring is directly under the needle... thus my previous two bent needles.

I also tried it with and without a bobbin in place, and then with a new bobbin, just to be sure it wasn't a bobbin issue.

Now I'm thinking... sounds like probably not timing related? Maybe the gear or whatever it is that usually causes the hook ring to move is not doing its job.

Any thoughts? Or is it time for a professional repair person? Or should I start (carefully) unscrewing things in the hopes that it's just a piece of lint stuck deep down inside something?

• KATHERINE OWENS
    8 years ago

I was stumped by the same problem for a while. I have a 626, so I'm not sure if it is exactly the same, but mine was just a matter of turning the casement clockwise manually... It seems to stay put now, but my bobbin won't spin at all, so I'm not sure if it's really "fixed". It took me about 10 needles before I figured that out... Hopefully this helps in some way!

• davisslim4
    8 years ago

I have the 755 touch and sew! I rewound the bobbin and now when I try to sew, it looks ok on the top stitch but the bottom stitch looks all wrong! Then the bobbin gets all stuck in the material with a gob of thread in the bobbin! What is wrong? Can anyone help this dummy?

• Christina Renfer
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can someone help me and see if this is something that can be repaired. It hasn't been used in many, many, many years.

• thonotorose
    8 years ago

What are you referring to, Christina? You have not posted to the above thread. Is this about a different problem than is addressed above? If so, start a new thread with your specific machine in the subject line and give us more details on your issue so we can help.

• sunshinezblue
    8 years ago

Hi everyone.I have a singer 626 T&S. when I turn the wheel by hand towards me and the bobbin hook is at about 1 o clock, the wheel gets tight. I continue turning, its ok until I get to same spot. its been getting Jammed. the bobbin case seems a little loose. I timed it. the hook picks up Loop".Before" I put Bobbin case & bobbin back in machine, "it all works fine", & doesn't get stuck".As soon as I put bobbin case back in with bobbin", it gets stuck. I even turned right screw under slide plate, but it doesn't help. I've clean, oiled, re-threaded, put new needles in.I've tryed so many things.it was working good months ago, then, one day, it got jammed. Nothing in machine Looks broke. when I filled bobbin with thread, it filled about half way, then slowed down & stopped. It seems like its the Bobbin case, but it Looks like it's in great condition. I can't figure it out? Does anyone have any ideas to Help? Thank You.

• sunshinezblue
    8 years ago

I just decided to take out the feed dogs, since that is around the area its getting jammed. I tried to wind Bobbin, and it worked perfectly. I know you need feed dogs to sew, but I closed everything, put on sew position, stitch width on 3, tension dials on 3, put material in, and it started to sew,(it made 1 stitch on both sides), but wouldn't move of course, since I don't have feed dogs in, but, it did "NOT" get Jammed!! what could be wrong with the feed dogs? I've been working on this machine for three months,not giving up, DETERMINED I'M GOING TO FIX IT, somehow. Does anyone know what next??

• aumalthia
    5 years ago

Sashacb, did you ever get the bobbin case issue resolved? I'm having the same issue and yours is the only thread with reasonable input.

• Karey Skinner-Steiner
    5 years ago

I just picked up a Touch and Sew Delux w the same bobbin issue. I have done some oiling and found when I took the bottom door off one of the plastic gears was broken :(

• Robbie Medlin
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've owned the same touch and see 600E for 50 years. I had a problem with jamming too. I tried adjusting the tension...that didn't help. I changed the needle...didn't help. Tried a new bobbin...problem solved. Also, the bobbin case should not be loose. Remove the black clip that holds the case in place and adjust the little tension bar on the clip by opening it slightly outward. No need for tools. Replace the clip and try to move the case with your finger. If it's tight it should be okay. If none of that works, the timing might be off. Also, always use the same thread on top and the bobbin. And make sure you're using the right needle for your particular type of fabric. Sometimes, trying to use a needle for woven fabrics on knit fabrics could also cause jamming problems. Good luck.

• blkbar1946
    3 years ago

Don't use bobbins that are not Singer. Bobbins made in China will cause problems. Ive got to take my 620 Touch & Sew to the shop for the 2nd time using those bobbins.

• HU-996059312
    3 years ago

My Singer Touch and Sew 635 is one of my most prized possessions- problem:

there Is no tension when inserted in the machine seems there may have been a spring or something that secures it in place to hold the bobbin casing in place Any ideas?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner