SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dgeist

Planning DWV lines in new basement bathroom

dgeist
8 years ago

Hi, I'm planning a 3-fixture 5'x8' bath in my basement and having trouble envisioning the best layout for the drain and vent lines. It would help to have a few basic questions answered it possible. Here are my criteria and questions:

- Intended layout is lav/toilet/bath along the left wall in order looking from door to back wall. The existing stack/drain goes through the back wall and down the RIGHT edge of the space. Waste flow is from back of room to front.

- Existing path in ceiling for venting is in approx center of room.

- Would also like to stub-out a sink on the opposite side of wet wall for future kitchenette in that room.

- When burying the waste lines, is it better to arrange them in series tying in each fixture as it snakes to the drain or to extend each of fixture outputs to series of "branching points" where they combine with wyes and proceed towards the building drain, or does it depend...?

- If my "in-floor" fixtures (bathtub and toilet) are nearest the wall opposite the intended drain, how can I safely tie in vents? I have to have a min-45 degree kick-up on on a wye on the horizontal to tie in a vent, but if it's several feet away from the wet wall, that won't help. As I understand it, It's both not good and not permissible to have a section of vent buried on the horizontal.

-Once the vents are tied in (somewhere), I'd like to combine them and have one path going up to the existing chase above to reach the attic. Is there anything other than necessary diameter and fixtures served when combining them?

Using a single wall for most/all of the venting would be advantageous but I'm having trouble envisioning the best layout to do that. I've attached a rough layout o the fixtures below and would love some input from folks who have done this before. BTW, I'm covered by 2012 IPC.

Dan

Comment

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH