SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Dining room finally usable. Blank slate. First steps?

DYH
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Finally! My dining room is free of my temporary kitchen -- the microwave, mini-fridge and baskets of food are gone. The chairs are on the floor instead of stacked up!

I've not yet added the china cabinet mentioned in this thread on heirlooms.

The little cafe curtains are temporary, on tension rods. That's a huge investment of $12 until window treatment time.:-)

I want to get the furniture right before windows, but I'd like input on window treatment style. Unfortunately, there's a 1939 working air return in the floor under the front window. I worry that because it draws air in, it will draw dust to long drapes.

The walls are original paneling and wainscot (it was already painted when I bought it. I had the entry into the kitchen area and foyer widened and the floors refinished. Added a light fixture. That's all that's been done to this room.

The chairs are Crate & Barrel outdoor -- want to hold on to those until my grandchildren (a 2 year-old girl and 2 boys coming this spring) are older.

I like a cottage, simple look. Where to begin? What does this all-white room need? Let me hear your thoughts!

Thanks.

The arch you see leading into the new vestibule used to be the arch into the dining from the foyer -- but it was too low for building code! We saved it, raised it and moved it.

Looking into the kitchen area. The window isn't centered on the wall. The house was built so that something could go in that space to the right. That's the only space where I can place my mother's china cabinet.

Here's the link to my Houzz Ideabook for dining rooms.

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21