SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess74_gw

Overwhelmed - kind of a blank slate

jess74
15 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for quite a while and I LOVE all your homes, but sometimes don't know how to incorporate your great design tips into my typical suburban home.

Here's the scoop. It's less than 2 years old and I *desperately* love white trim but the homes I looked at in this area in my budget were all oak, so that's what I've got. There is so much I would love to do with an infinite amount of talent and the budget to match, but in reality, I have neither.

My "ideal world to do list" is so long I don't even know where to start. To make matters worse I'm completely indecisive.

- I'd love to have white trim but trying that on the whole house when I've never done it before really freaks me out.

- I'd love new kitchen countertops but I think the cost would prohibit me from doing much of anything else, even though I wouldn't mind a darker nice laminate.

- I'd put on new cabinet and drawer pulls if you think that would improve on the kitchen's look and could suggest a style. I looked online at ORB options and saw tons of nice choices that I couldn't narrow down.

- I finally picked up some paint chips (or whatever those cards are called) so I'd like to move forward with painting but haven't decided on colors. Though greens look good with oak I'd prefer to stay away from green b/c the couch & loveseat and green and it seems it would be overpowering. Other colors in the open space are red and a camel/wheat color in the drapes and accents. I'm leaning toward Kilim Beige on most walls with Nomadic Desert on the fireplace or Believable Buff on walls with Whole Wheat on the fireplace. What do you think?

- I have no idea how to arrange or decorate the living room. I regret that the fireplace is in the corner because it seems to make things harder to work around. Putting the sofa or loveseat with its back facing the dining to separate the areas would probably make a strange first impression when entering from the front hall b/c you'd just see the side arm of a couch. (?) The TV cabinet is close to the same height as the fireplace. I do have an armchair that matches the sofa and loveseat in case it would help in re-arranging.

- I'd like to do a photo wall collage of black & white or sepia family pics after I figure out the furniture arrangement.

- I'd like to do something in the hall entrance. Can't decide between a nice, older dresser with a lamp on top and mirror/art above it, or a bench with baskets, or a simple console table. Suggestions?

- I'd also love to expand the maple floors from the hall and dining/kitchen area into the living room but I'm pretty sure that would be out of my budget for now.

As you can see, there's a lot I dream about but I haven't done a thing because I have no idea where to start or which minor improvements will have the most positive impacts so I basically panic and do nothing at all. I've included pics of the space below - if I manage to post them right - so please, oh PLEASE, give me your impressions of the place and what you'd suggest. Thank you!

P.S. Let me know if the room and/or furniture dimensions would be helpful.

P.P.S. I adore Photoshoppers! ;)

Comments (29)