SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skw27

Farmhouse kitchen layout

skw27
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Just wanted to ask opinions on windows in kitchen vs upper cabinets. Just to list the changes I'm making: moving the wall next to the side entry back 2' so I'll have an extra 24" of cabinet space next to the fridge, either on the left or full length cabinet on the right. This will make the kitchen 15x13. I'd prefer a pocket door in the pantry (dimension cut off but it is 4-6x6-4)-it will be a frosted glass door to let in light from the pantry window. I'm considering removing the work sink for extra island storage. I've never had a work sink so I don't think I'd miss it. I know many people don't like corner sinks but I love where the sink is. We live on 80 acres in East Tennessee and the views from our property are beautiful. The dishwasher/fridge cabinet wall is on the east.

I'm trying to figure out if having windows on each side of the cooktop would work or if that would dramatically reduce storage, I know it's not a huge kitchen. I considered transoms above the cooktop wall upper cabinets for light but there are 9' ceilings and won't be much room above 42" uppers. This is a farmhouse with a full covered front porch. I think windows next to the cooktop would help the front elevation but I'm just not sure about storage or symmetry with the corner windows already in place.

Front elevation-windows will be larger than shown.

Inspiration for windows next to cooktop, I understand this kitchen is much larger than mine.

Elbow Park · More Info

Corner window sinks

Whole 1st floor plan

Thanks so so much in advance for taking the time to read my post!

Comments (9)