FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
skw27

Farmhouse kitchen layout

skw27
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Just wanted to ask opinions on windows in kitchen vs upper cabinets. Just to list the changes I'm making: moving the wall next to the side entry back 2' so I'll have an extra 24" of cabinet space next to the fridge, either on the left or full length cabinet on the right. This will make the kitchen 15x13. I'd prefer a pocket door in the pantry (dimension cut off but it is 4-6x6-4)-it will be a frosted glass door to let in light from the pantry window. I'm considering removing the work sink for extra island storage. I've never had a work sink so I don't think I'd miss it. I know many people don't like corner sinks but I love where the sink is. We live on 80 acres in East Tennessee and the views from our property are beautiful. The dishwasher/fridge cabinet wall is on the east.

I'm trying to figure out if having windows on each side of the cooktop would work or if that would dramatically reduce storage, I know it's not a huge kitchen. I considered transoms above the cooktop wall upper cabinets for light but there are 9' ceilings and won't be much room above 42" uppers. This is a farmhouse with a full covered front porch. I think windows next to the cooktop would help the front elevation but I'm just not sure about storage or symmetry with the corner windows already in place.

Front elevation-windows will be larger than shown.

Inspiration for windows next to cooktop, I understand this kitchen is much larger than mine.

Elbow Park · More Info

Corner window sinks

Whole 1st floor plan

Thanks so so much in advance for taking the time to read my post!

Comments (9)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

The second and third pics you posted show wider windows than in your drawing. With wider windows, trim, (on both sides) and a hood 6" wider than the cooktop, that should take up all the space between the corner and the range/hood. You could put a window on the other side, to take up the space between the range/hood and MW cab. I think that would be beautiful. You have a separate pantry for storage, and if you use all drawer bases, you can increase storage in the kitchen.

I think most folks don't care for a corner sink because they take up more space than a standard sink cabinet, and in a smaller kitchen that can be significant. Another reason is that a DW cannot be located beside the cabinet, because there is not enough room to stand comfortably while loading it--imagine the DW door open, and standing in that small triangle in front of the sink. I'd recommend that you put the DW beside the fridge, with the narrow cabinet between it and the sink. Good luck!

• skw27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you mama goose!! Yes, the windows will be much larger than drawn- I appreciate your input! I got a rendering back from the cabinet company with the bid and the windows were drawn tiny with no hood so it wasn't a good representation of the storage capabilities. I feel like the pantry is a great size (anything is better than the storage in rental we have) so I think I'll go for more windows instead of cabinets. Yes, we will definitely have a narrow cabinet between the dishwasher and the sink. Thanks so much again for commenting.

• Related Discussions

Kohler farmhouse vs. Shaw farmhouse sink

Q

Comments (4)
    I’ve had a 30” Shaw at a second home for 10 years and still love it but decided on the 33” Kohler Whitehaven for our new kitchen reno at home - it was such a price difference and looked so similar. I actually like it better! I especially like the slight slant of the bottom to the offset drain. Much easier to rinse scraps into the disposal. It’s still new but it does seems like the Kohler finish is easier to keep clean. We removed the Kohler logo (which was crooked anyway) so it’s just all white and looks great!
    ...See More

Living Room Design/Layout Ideas (Modern Farmhouse)

Q

Comments (2)
    Don't put the TV over the fireplace. Your necks will thank you, and you've got a great spot for it on the back of the garage wall. I also wouldn't buy a sectional. It will limit your furniture arrangements and no one ever sits in the corner anyway. Two sofas or a sofa and chairs are much more versatile, and the kids are going to want to lay all over the floor and on poufs.
    ...See More

Farmhouse Kitchen Layout Help Please!

Q

Comments (4)
    Since no one else has responded, I'll post this U plan, which is not exactly what you want. Maybe the counter to the right of the DW could be open underneath, for a couple of seats for the kids, then when they no longer want to be in the kitchen to do homework (probably sooner than you think), you could slide in some cabinets. You can vet your whole house plan on the Building a Home forum, maybe continue the hallway, rather than direct traffic through the kitchen:
    ...See More

Kitchen Swap and Layout help in a French Farmhouse

Q

Comments (3)
    A project this ambitious, complex, and expensive, needs in person help of an architect and kitchen designer. It’s too involved and too costly to not be working with the right professionals! You’ve got the architect. Now hire the Kitchen Designer. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • skw27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is the rendering from the cabinet company, the sink is drawn way too narrow for the 36" Kohler apron sink we bought. Making the windows the proper size would lose an upper cabinet next to the fridge but 24" is being gained by extending the kitchen in my proposed change. I would have really narrow uppers by the hood anyway so maybe windows would be better. The drawing also doesn't show storage under the cooktop since they drew a standard range.

• skw27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, thank you so much! It's so helpful to see it like that. The rendering was terrible, I would absolutely want drawers in base cabinets. So much more efficient. And yes the island would need to come out with the kitchen being longer. I have been so set on having that corner sink but your drawing has me majorly second guessing that. I would still have views to both directions which was what I wanted. Plus I love symmetry and the front elevation bothered me a little with having nothing on the kitchen side except for that corner window. No upper cabinets at all makes me a little nervous though. Wonder if I could put tiny spice rack sized ones next to the range hood (will be cabinet style) or if it's worth borrowing a little space from the pantry. That 36" sink is huge and would be a space hog in the corner. I like the idea of uninterrupted work space by moving the sink but wonder if I'd have a dead corner there. Corners are tricky regardless I guess. Thanks so much again for your help.

• funkycamper
    5 years ago

I really like how Mama Goose moved your sink/DW to the fridge wall and changed your windows. One of the reasons I like it is because if gives you a lot more room between sink and cooktop. This will make it easier for one person to cook while another preps and/or cleans up without bumping into each other.

I am usually a huge fan of prep sinks. However, in your case, since you love your view, I wonder if you need one. With the extra prep counter moving the sink gives you, I wonder if you would do more prep looking out the windows than standing at the island. If so, I think you would benefit from as big of a sink as possible so someone can use one end of it for clean-up duties while someone else is washing food for prepping on the other end. Something to think about. It depends on how you intend to use the space.

If there are often two people cooking, or maybe someone is baking while someone else is cooking, then I would definitely do a prep sink. Even, if not, it could be handy to have a prep sink for washing hands, to use while entertaining to set out drinks, fill with ice to serve chilled dishes, etc. You could always have a cover made for it matching your counter so you could use it or cover it depending on your need that day.

If you decide not to put in a prep sink, I think you should still plumb for it and put a cabinet there that can be used with a sink. While you're building, it's just a few more bucks to run the plumbing there and this gives you flexibility to add one if you decide you need it later.

I have no upper cabinets in my small kitchen but I also have a pantry. I do have some open shelves with glass jars with beans, rice, and baking staples. But you actually have a bigger kitchen with more lower storage than I have and a bigger pantry so I'm confident that you can get by without any uppers. You really need to measure what you have and the space you need to be sure.

Considering your wonderful views, I would do anything possible to eliminate the need for uppers even if it means a big purge.

I know I was kinda rambling and don't know if any of this will be helpful but I just wanted to give you different things to consider. Hope it has been of some help.

skw27 thanked funkycamper
  • kiko
    5 years ago

It seems like your pantry is really far from the garage. Also it seems like some of the plans give your prime living areas (in the great room, at the island, etc) a direct view of the bathroom. I really wouldn't like that. Are you set on the corner sink and corner fireplace ideas? Sometimes they are a homes only option due to existing space, but I'm not sure about building a house like that on purpose. You really have competing focal points with the TV and fireplace. Is your style more modern or traditional? If modern:

• skw27
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Funkycamper, I appreciate the input and your opinions very much! Super helpful, thank you. I've tried to map the cabinets to figure out what I'd put where but honestly we've been in a 900 sq ft rental for so long figuring out this construction that I've forgotten what I have because it's all in storage! Serving pieces and seldom used appliances can go in the pantry, that was part of the plan for that. With having such a small rental, my husband and I don't cook at the same time now, it's miserable. That doesn't mean that we won't in the future and I want to make the kitchen as efficient as possible, both with storage and work zones.

kiko, I'm reconsidering the corner sink but the corner fireplace stays because 1. I like them and 2. There's nowhere else to put it. I don't want to use the back wall-that will take away from window space, plus the furniture will be facing away from the heat. I don't want to use the TV wall because I do not care for TV's over fireplaces. The focal point from the front door will be the fireplace and the back French doors, not the TV. I mentioned in the original post that the wall next to the side entry is extending 2' making the kitchen longer and that will eliminate the bathroom view issue. I'm perfectly ok with the distance between the garage and the pantry. I put all my stuff down on counters, I don't walk my groceries into the pantry.

• funkycamper
    5 years ago

Yeah, that makes it harder when it's been all boxed up. Somewhere buehl, one of our most amazing experts, showed a layout of her storage and, IIRC, it included the sizes of the drawers and cabinets. It might be one of the links in her "New to Kitchens - Read Me First!" thread which should be somewhere on the first few page here on this kitchen forum. It floats around but we all try to keep it on or close to page 1. I think if you read through all of the Read Me First, you will get good ideas and, hopefully, you will find that particular discussion. With luck, someone will pop in here and provide a link.

skw27 thanked funkycamper