SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw123

Okay, what's the trick for flipping a grilled cheese sandwich?

Sooz
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

For me, making "toasted cheese" or "grilled cheese" sandwiches (they mean the same thing where I come from) or grilled ham and cheese, or grilled BLT & cheese, or grilled cheese, bacon and onion, etc etc consists of buttering 2 pc of bread, placing the buttered side down on the heated surface of the pan, adding cheese etc on top of that (sometimes sliced cheese, sometimes shredded), then adding another piece of buttered bread, butter side up until it's flipped.

When the first piece of bread starts getting to grilled or toasted perfection in the pan (I peek), I use a spatula to flip the sandwich.

Sometimes things fall out! Sometimes there is a sliiiiiide of bread away from the rest of the sandwich after the flip. Sometimes, by the time the bread is perfect and ready to flip, the cheese isn't all melty. I don't get consistently good results 100% of the time. I've started with a cold pan, I've started with a warm pan,and I've started with a very warm pan. I've used melted butter on the bread, and used softened pats of butter on the bread. One of my friends suggested using mayo instead of butter. That might be a bit too different for me, as I didn't grow up with using mayo instead of butter.

Any suggestions? You'd think I'd know how to do this by now! LOLAM!!! Thanks in advance!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (27)