SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Griulled Cheese

jude31
12 years ago

Do I even need to say "sandwich"? Bob and I went to Hendersonville, Tn this past weekend to visit DD#1. Robbie took me to lunch on Saturday at Marche`s in Nashville. She and I had, without question, the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever put in my mouth. Fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil, grilled on Sourdough bread. The cheese was just barely oozing out of the sandwich. Yummmm!

Rob333, have you eaten there? I also picked up a loaf of brioche bread to bring home. A place I'll visit again when I have a chance, and I'll probably order the same thing!:)

What's your favorite grilled cheese sandwich?

jude

Comments (38)

• jude31
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Don't you just cringe when you see the misspelled word and there's nothing you can do about it. Maybe the thread will go away soon!:)

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Jude:
    I have made similar but use Provolone Cheese.

Sometimes, I'll put in a slice of Turkey Bologna and grille it in the Waffle Baker.

It makes a nice design.

Makes a good summertime quick lunch.

Thanks for reminding me.

Lou

• User
    12 years ago

I knew what you meant. Don't worry about it Jude. It happens to all of us.

There is a new restaurant Cheesewerks opening in Toronto in September and it is going to specialize in Artisan cheeses, and gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Leave it to your girls to ferret out a great dining place. It does sound like something that needs to be replicated.

I love Griulled Cheese and I'm willing to explore new versions.

• glenda_al
    12 years ago

Love this!

Grilled apple cheese sandwich

2 slices whole wheat bread
    1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    1/2 Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
    1/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Directions
    Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Lightly brush one side of each slice of bread with the olive oil. Place 1 slice of bread, olive oil side down into the skillet, and arrange the apple slices evenly over the top. Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the apple, then top with the remaining slice of bread, olive oil-side up. Cook until the bread is golden brown, then flip the sandwich over, and cook until the other side is golden brown and the cheese has melted, 1 to 2 more minutes.

• User
    12 years ago

Oh that does sound good! My favourite is Canadian Cheddar, peameal bacon and sliced tomato on whole wheat.

Ann , sounds interesting I'll have to check it out!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

I have not been. Robbie asked me the same thing, maybe she and I can meet there later.

The best grilled cheese sandwich I have had? Mixture of cheeses with mushrooms on sourdough. mmm. I keep thinking, maybe a pimento cheese made into grilled cheese.

Does that sound good, grilled pimento cheese sandwich?

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

And here I thought that was how they pronounced it in TN ;-D

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Man I love a grilled cheese! For me, the quintessential is sourdough bread, butter as the outside coating, and extra sharp cheddar on the inside. Nothing better.

But hey! I also love extra fillings or different kinds of cheese or bread. Whatever I happen to have on hand will do. It's such an easy meal and so good.

Apples sure do sound good Glenda! So do mushrooms, Robin!

• claire_de_luna
    12 years ago

Oh yeah! What's not to love? I like to mix pimento cheese, gruyere and provolone, with pretzel bread as my new favorite. I'm mixing together some pimento cheese this very afternoon.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Best grilled cheese I ever had was at a bakery in Cadillac, Michigan. We used to go to Cadillac to trade in our Top Value Stamp books every year at Christmas, and we'd have lunch at this tiny bakery. They made their own cheese bread and used Michigan Pinconning cheese on their fresh cheese bread, buttered and grilled until toasty and the cheese melted and would pull out in strings when you took a bite.

I've never had one as good since, although perhaps my memories made that once a year treat more exceptional than it really was. Nah, it really was exceptional, LOL.

Now my favorite is Dubliner on caraway rye, buttered and grilled to toasty perfection. Apples sound good too, as do mushrooms, and I might try some homemade mozzarella on whole grain bread with fresh basil and tomatoes when the tomatoes are ready.

Annie

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

I've been holding back but here goes---I love bacon on my GC. Lots of crispy bacon, thick sliced cheddar, sour dough, smeared with butter.

• jude31
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Coleen, that was bad!:) Funny thing when I noticed how I spelled it, I thought of how southerners (supposedly) add an extra syllable!lol Me thinks you're pretty sassy since you had an 0 birthday, but I had one too, you know.

Apples, mushrooms, pimiento cheese. several cheeses...they all sound good to me!

Cathy, I admire your restraint! But how bad could bacon be...especially if it's extra crispy!!

jude

• nancyofnc
    12 years ago

My family likes grilled sandwich bread with mild cheddar and jam, usually strawberry, as an accompaniment to tomato soup. My dear late MIL liked Velveeta on Wonder Bread with yellow mustard. I think any bread grilled with any cheese is a perfect sandwich, and any other additions makes it more than perfect, if that is possible. LOL

Nancy

• rachelellen
    12 years ago

Mmmmmm...grilled cheese! One of my ultimate comfort foods.

Any kind of good bread, any kind of good cheese...generous amount of butter in the pan not on the bread.

Possible additions depend on mood. Sliced tomatoes straight from the garden, bacon, fresh herbs, grilled onions or mushrooms, leftover roast chicken, pecans (brie w/pecans on sliced French or light whole wheat) sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers, thin shaves of good ham...the possibilities are endless.

Haven't tried apple yet, but it sounds delish.

• caliloo
    12 years ago

I'm with Mustangs on the bacon on the grilled cheese. YUM! A grilled bacon, tomato and cheddar is a gift from the culinary gods and if it is one sourdough then it is even better!

I love grilled cheese

Alexa

• jessyf
    12 years ago

This is bringing up memories of the Virtual Dinner 'Grilled cheese and Tomato soup' project!

• cherigw
    12 years ago

jude31, the thought of that oozy cheese, tomatoes, and basil completely obliterated the "u"!

• Rusty
    12 years ago

Lots of butter, in the pan.
    Oat-Nut bread,
    Longhorn (or Colby) with Monteray Jack cheese.
    2 or 3 slices of deli ham (Shaved, very VERY thin)
    And a very thin slice of sweet onion.

That's what my family always asks for.
    There are several combinations here I want to try.
    They all sound so-o-o-oooo good!

Rusty

• Chi
    12 years ago

I used to love grilled cheese. I tried Pioneer Woman's sandwich and it's really amazing (I didn't use the green chilies). The thin coating of equal parts dijon mustard and mayo really make the cheese flavor pop. I added some paper thin red onion slices and it was awesome. I highly recommend it.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW's Grilled Cheese

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Here is a Grilled Cheese on Wheat Bread with Bacon and Tomatoes.

Or is it a Panini ?

Lou

• rosesstink
    12 years ago

A really sharp cheddar on rye bread (outside buttered for frying). Served with either pickled hot peppers or tomato soup. Yum!

• cynic
    12 years ago

Bacon, ham, pepperoni, turkey or whatever meat is around. A burger or brat patty will do. mozzarella, swiss and maybe some provolone, pepper jack or other cheese. I'm not a huge fan of cheddar normally, but in a pinch, it'll do.

Ann, by chance is that place being opened by the guy who was on America's Next Great Restaurant?

• murphy_zone7
    12 years ago

Once again you guys have taken a basic food group and elevated it to awesome new heights....in this case the basic grilled cheese...bread, cheese, butter.
    Just love this forum!

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

Gee you guys. I am drooling here from all the good ideas. We just had grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner last night. We used American cheese on Marble rye which was really good. I am waiting patiently for my home grown tomatoes to turn red so I can put them in with crispy bacon! food of the Gods!
    Joann

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

This is a combo I had at a local deli a long time ago and I frequently make it at home:

Pumpernickel
    Major Grey's Chutney
    Thick slices of sharp Vermont white cheddar
    Thinly sliced roast beef

Butter the bread and pan grill on both sides until the cheese is gooey.

yum

seagrass

• riverrat1
    12 years ago

We went to a local restaurant last week and I had an exceptionally good Grilled Cheese Crawfish sandwich. It was so large that I brought the leftovers to a friend! Three slices of buttered sourdough, applewood bacon, crawfish and cheedar cheese! yum.

• Lars
    12 years ago

I add minced jalapenos (or Serrano chilies) to mine, but I do not have it very often, since I tend to make quesadillas instead. I guess my favorite grilled cheese sandwich would be made with corn tortillas, Jarlsberg cheese, and minced jalapenos. We eat a lot more tortillas than we do bread. I do like a good Reuben sandwich, however. When I buy bread for sandwiches, it is usually Pumpernickel or rye, unless I can find sourdough sandwich rolls.

Lars

• jude31
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So many yummy suggestions/variations! Guess I'd better cut and paste because I'll never remember them...or maybe I'll just save the entire thread.

jude

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Does anyone here live dangerous ???

I thought someone would try the Wafflebaker.
    Spread on some butter and give it a go.

A Belgium Wafflebaker might work better.
    Lou

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

Was watching a food show last night where the presenter was touring France and one chef there made a toasted sandwich with thinly sliced Gruyere cheese and thinly sliced Iberian ham, two layers of each. He buttered the bread on the outside and baked it in the oven until golden so the cheese melted slowly. The bread came out shatteringly crisp and it looked awfully yummy :-)

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

Lou, I've grilled a sandwich in a waffle maker. I found it a passable way to disguise inferior bread, but otherwise not worth the effort of dragging it out of the cupboard. I prefer to use my cast iron pans, which I'm too lazy to put away after use, so they live on the stove top all the time.

I made grilled cheese for my family tonight as we bought a loaf of an artisan sourdough when we were out this afternoon. We've decided that life is too short to eat poor quality bread. I used the "special sauce" that Pioneer Woman described, but much better cheese than she used. No one wanted tomatoes or onions - just cheese and lots of it. DD had aged cheddar and the rest of us had friulano.

• ritaotay
    12 years ago

Call me what you will but my favorite grilled cheese sandwich consist of store bought mushy white bread, Kraft Singles ( 1-1/2 slices ) and Smart Balance completely covering the outside then cooked on the griddle until GOLDEN brown ( butter makes it a dark brown )... The finishing touch -- pry open the hot sandwich and insert thinly sliced dill pickles ( preferably the ones from White Castle ) then chow down, with or without canned cream of tomato soup... lol

Rita

• Bizzo
    12 years ago

Best I've had was at Bleu Squid in Mystic Village in Mystic, CT. YUM!!!!

My favorite is the The Original Grown-up Grilled Cheese (a mix of Havarti, Fontina, extra sharp Cheddar & Muenster cheeses) you can add tomato, and it's wonderful, but I usually don't.

They are also known for their lobster grilled cheese, with chunks of fresh lobster... oohhhhh!

I think i need to go there for lunch tomorrow!!

I do have to say, I will not turn down Rita's menu. It's my husband's favorite, too... kraft singles, squishy wheat bread, and campbell's tomato soup. I think it's childhood comfort food.

Personally, I think sourdough is the best foundation for a good grilled cheese :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bleu Squid... check the menu tab and drool

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

My arteries are filling up. They all sound wonderful!!

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Bizzo:
    I did one on Wheat Bread for you,
    with Ham, Cheese and Tomatoes

LOU

• Rusty
    12 years ago

Lou, I haven't tried the Waffle iron yet,
    I did try the Pizzelle Iron once, though.

Something got me away for a few minutes while it was baking,
    Took me FOREVER to get all the cheese off the iron,
    Where it dribbled down the sides,
    Onto the handles, etc.

Needless to say,
    If I try that again,
    NOTHING will divert my attention! ! !!

It did seem like a good idea at the time, though. :>)

Earlier today I stocked up on several different breads, cheeses, etc.
    I need to stop reading this thread!
    Now, to combine a grilled cheese
    And a BLT,
    As some of you already have, sort of. . . .. .
    Hmm-m--m-mmmm.

Rusty

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I like the idea of the waffle iron too but I really hate cleaning mine. (I have several good ones too)
    A teflon pan and a bacon press is easier.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!