SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edlincoln

Stop Recommending Shrubs for People who Ask for Trees!

edlincoln
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've noticed a lot of times someone will request a tree on these forums and others will recommend a shrub saying "it will take up less room".

In my experience it is NOT true that a spreading multi-trucked shrub necessarily will take up less room then a tree. Quite the opposite. A large single trucked deciduous tree will usually only use up the space for the trunk...perhaps a foot in diameter. You can walk under it. The spreading multi-trucked shrub will use up all the space under it's canopy. It may be a better choice near a structure or under power lines, but it uses up more yard space and is a worse choice near a road. (Cars can go under the branches of a tree).

Growing up, the big rhododendron used up WAY more space then the honeylocust. There was nothing to stop you from planting bulbs beneath the locust.

If I want shrub advice I go to the shrub forum, not the tree forum. And there is a fundamental aesthetic difference between a shrub and a tree. They aren't interchangeable from a design standpoint.

I've also long disliked how many sources don't clearly delineate the difference between a small tree and a shrub. To me, there is a huge difference between the places I want to put a single-trucked deciduous plant that loses it's lower branches and a good spot for multi-trucked shrub that keeps all of it's lower branches...but most online sources don't clearly delineate between the two.

I've also noticed a lot of people come here with a perfectly good spot for a tree and everyone tries to talk them into buying one of the same two or three overplanted shrubs.

Are there folks who come to this forum as part of a crusade against trees? I seem to remember someone had "treekiller" in his screen name...

Comments (10)