SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_in_kennett

Getting the Built In Look Without Pricey Sub-Zero. FAIL!

Kate in Kennett
8 years ago

While planning our kitchen renovation, I became smitten with the look of a built in refrigerator. Then I went to the showroom and fell even harder... Just opening the door of a Sub-Zero felt like I was opening the door to another world, a secret club of refrigerator awesomeness. Well, DH wasn't having that hefty price tag. No way, no how. Total buzzkill.

So next price tier down offering the 36" panel ready doors were the Kitchen Aid KRFC30 for $3,400. Our appliance store quoted it at $2,800, plus the cost of the panels from our cabinet maker. Apparently the Bosch B22CT80SNP is the exact same fridge, it just costs more. Cringe! So back to that Kitchen Aid. It looks nice on the website, and nice in person at the showroom. Only problem, which was major for me, is that it will never be flush with the cabinets or walls next to it. It sticks out about 2 inches, and there is a black panel on the sides of the doors. Our cabinets are a khaki color, so a 2 inch black strip would stick out like a sore thumb. Our lovely rep was very adamant about making sure I understood this. There have been many angry consumers who purchased this fridge, expecting that flush built-in look, and got this:

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/major-appliances-1/refrigerators-2/refrigerators-3/-[KRFC302EPA]-5520097/KRFC302EPA/

Read those reviews.... definitely misleading of KA to offer this. Also, our rep stressed that your cabinet maker needs to triple check the specs, as this fridge sticks out even more than most and is not a counter depth.

See! It sticks out, like a sore thumb... SO sad. I couldn't get past it, and scrapped the whole built-in fridge dream and picked out a stainless one. After all, most of the kitchens I fell in love with, didn't even have a built-in. That made me feel a little bit better.

Before it was scrapped, our KD said we could build a black cabinet surround and order black panels, vs the khaki. Adding a little bit of distressing to the finish to make it look like it belongs in a 250 year old home. I did like that idea, but DH didn't. Ugh.

As far as the major price jump goes between the KA and Bosch versions, on up to the Sub-Zero, Liebherr, and others, its a good chunk of change. Double the price of the KA & Bosch. There used to be some in between, but everyone else figured if Sub-Zero is commanding that price, so can we. Our rep said that if you are going to spend that much for a fridge, just buy the Sub-Zero.

I read a ton of posts on here in hopes that I could find reason to justify buying a SZ, and I found a lot of good ones, just not enough to convince DH to make that leap. One plus, is he said maybe down the road when we are making more money, we can get one. I can get behind that!

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County