SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahai6

Separate fridge and separate freezer

sahai6
8 years ago

Hi,

This is a cross-posting in kitchens and appliance sections.

I am in the design phase of my kitchen. I am selecting appliances right now before getting ready for kitchen design.

I am seriously considering separate fridge and separate freezers. I think they are also called column fridge and freezers. Right now, Electrolux and Frigidaire are the brands which are within my price range. My questions are...

1...how is the performance of both of these appliances? I have read about mixed reviews about both of these brands.

2....I have seen some pictures on Houzz for both of these brands giving as a built-in look to the appliances. How do they reverse the handles for installing both fridge and the freezer? Is it a custom feature and does it cost extra?

3...I am assuming that combined width of these appliances (after installing as a built-in appliance) will be around 65 inches. That means I will have to loose one upper and lower cabinet in order to work around 65 inches wide appliance. Is it really worth it?

I am not asking from money point of view, but I am asking from functionality point of view of both of these units. If the freezer is a separate unit, does it really reduce the chances of a fridge malfunctioning on a regular basis? I have heard so many horror stories about ice maker malfunctioning when it is a part of a traditional fridge. So I am trying to avoid that hassle.

4....Both of these brands' fridges are quite small in size. They are close to 18-19 cubi feet. We are a family of 3 adults. Will it be enough for us? I love to cook fresh meals every day.

If this column fridge/freezer idea does not work for my kitchen (because loosing 2 cabinets is a big issue for me), then I am also considering GE Monogram fridge. My 3rd choice will be GE Profile.

Any input on GE Monogram or GE Profile fridges will be appreciated also.

Thank you,

Mindy

Comments (3)