SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smorlan

Storage closet over basement stairwell. Is it possible?

Sandra M
8 years ago

We need extra storage, so here is what I am contemplating... Upon entering our home, you face a small wall. IF a doorway was cut through that wall, you would be looking down over the basement stairwell. If a floor were installed about 2 feet inward from that opening (which would also have an added door) and a wall put in to close off that space, a very nice storage closet would be had. As it currently appears, looking down our basement stairs and straight ahead (see photo) you see a straight wall which leads all the way to the ceiling, which is pretty high. It is THAT wall in which I can envision a doorway. The wall to the left has a ledge and the wall to the right has a railing. It is between those two walls that I would want a closet floor built and

a NEW wall installed to close it. I measured and a two foot deep closet would allow people to get to the basement without hitting their heads on the new wall. So, is this idea of mine doable? Also, approximately what would this job cost me? Thanks!

Comments (15)