SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Optimizing closet storage

Tmnca
8 years ago

This isn't about our kitchen, but I know there are lots of people here great at organizing storage space!

We are about to get a gift card for 15% back on our Ikea kitchen purchase due to the sale - so we will have about $1000 in a gift card to use for closet organization systems and some furniture for the nursery/guest bedroom (probably a sofa bed for example). So we're looking at the kea systems and Pax isn't great for framed closets, so we're probably going to go with Algot the wall-mounted system.

We have a 2 bedroom condo and no garage or other storage space. There is a coat closet downstairs and 3 storage closets upstairs - each bedroom has a reach in closet and in the hall we have a laundry closet. The second bedroom is currently an office and houses our computer networking equipment (router etc) printer, files, and our basic tools and home repair supplies. However the office will soon be turned into a nursery and guest bedroom (family member may be coming to stay and help a while when the baby arrives).

The closets are framed and the bedroom closets have 2 bypass doors per opening (ie the master bedroom has a total of 4 doors). I have no idea why the frames are all different sizes, but here are some pictures of the closet dimensions. The laundry closet has curtains to allow full access.

Current closet setups and items to store:

1. Nursery/Guest Bedroom: currently an office and houses our computer networking equipment (router etc) printer, files, in wooden freestanding shelves and our basic tools and home repair supplies in an old dresser. However the office will soon be turned into a nursery and guest bedroom (family member may be coming to stay and help a while when the baby arrives).

2. Laundry: currently LG FL washer but "regular" dryer, soon to be replaced with front-control/stackable dryer. We have space to stack the washer/dryer and free up more vertical space, or we could leave them side by side but with front controls we could build shelves down over the set.

3. Master Bedroom: small dresser inside for less-often used clothes (we have a larger dresser in the bedroom but not enough wall space for another). We barely own any hang-able clothes so most of the closet is storage with stuff in rubbermaid bins and the vacuum and carpet washer live in there, too. Vacuum is an upright but I want to go back to a canister since we have hard floors with only area rugs. The access to the attic is a trap door in this closet, so we can't block that.

4. Small linen closet in hallway contains towels and bed linens, and some cleaning supplies.

So, I'm thinking that we should move the tools and home maintenance supplies to our master bedroom closet. The computer stuff will need to stay in the guest bedroom closet because the ethernet and incoming cable for the modem are there and it's all networked. Unless we move it all to the living room, but there's not really space!

I thought if we stack the W/D we could put the vacuum in that laundry closet along with some shelves for cleaning supplies, etc. If we switch to a canister vac though it could scoot under hanging clothes.

Please help me plan my closets so I can make the most of our limited storage!

Comments (10)