SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

Closets and Basements and Garages - getting ready to sell

pixie_lou
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm relatively knew to this forum, but have been on GW for years. A re-districting of the schools in our town has prompted us to consider moving across town. So our child will not have to switch elementary schools. I have a preliminary meeting with my realtor tomorrow morning. I already know that I will need to rent a storage unit and move half of our belongings into storage. And rent a dumpster to throw the other half away. And clean. And clean. And clean again.

My question is about the basement, garage and closets. How "empty" should those be? For instance both the garage and basement are lined with stainless steel storage racks. The areas are "neat", but all those racks are full of boxes. The garage is full of sports equipment and yard and garden supplies. The unfinished basement is full of tools and holiday decorations. The finished basement is full of computer supplies for dh's consulting business. The cedar closet is full of off season clothes. All the floor areas are empty - it's just all these shelving units are 90% full.

I know these are the areas where most of the stuff would just go in a dumpster. So I'd love to take the time to go through it and make informed decisions. I don't want to just move the boxes to deal with later - why pay movers and pay for storage for stuff I will eventually trash? I can get the rest of the house cleaned and decluttered and packed in less than a week. I'd like to take a couple weeks to go through this stuff properly.

FWIW - we live in Boston MetroWest. Of the 24 homes currently listed for sale in town, only 7 are priced below $1million. We are in the lower end of the market, I'm guessing we will list in the $600k range. Homes in our price range are typically under contract within a week.

Comments (12)