SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Getting ready to sell our condo

cpartist
8 years ago

We will be building a house nearby in SW FL so have decided to put our condo on the market now. Our feeling is we'll move into a rental until the house is ready and feel better if we sell now since we know right now the market is good.

So with that in mind, here are lots of pictures from my condo. It's a 3 br, 2 bath 8th floor condo. We have views to the bay and the city. 1923 square feet and 4 balconies.

We are not painting, changing floors, drapes (which are custom because they are floor to ceiling and full wall) etc, especially since everything was only done 5 years ago, but if you see anything small I might have missed, please let me know. With MLS we are limited to 25 pictures and we need at least 5 of the condo, pool, etc. Do I need to show the washer/dryer? The master closet? Any photos you wouldn't include? I actually have lots more.

I'll add as many pics as I can over 2 or 3 posts.

Comments (64)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thank you scone. The color scheme has NO black in it at all. You might want to recalibrate your computer. ;) The scheme is tan, red, white, and accents of green and some blue.

I agree about the floors but there is nothing I can do at this point to lighten them. Hopefully someone will come in who loves dark floors.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I tried a few more pics. Let me know if any of these read any better. They are in no particular order and were just taken quickly.

• Related Discussions

Getting Ready to sell home FSBO question

Q

Comments (16)
    quote[I'm buying and I can tell you that price is all the matters right now./ So make sure that you are pricing your house to compete with other houses in your area and make sure you know what it will cost to update / Most of the people I know that are out there shopping are not needing to move, they're looking for deals.] Hello everyone. I'm just new to this forum and all I can say is that I am learning a lot. I am a manufacturing engineer by profession so I really dont know much about real estate, but I try to help out some friends by writing some stuff for them. As for the post above, I agree that PRICE is the name of the game. I've read somewhere that buyers are in it not for moving in but as an investment. With median prices going way, way down, they are taking advantage of the opportunity. Another thing, I believe LOOKS can be a big factor. Add value (not pricing) by getting the house checked through home inspection and other stuff like molds, etc. (check the link below for some resources; note: I'm not connected with them). Anyways, good luck in your home sale, and I hope everything will be well with the home industry this year and the next. Best Regards, Peter Allan Mariano Here is a link that might be useful: home inspection resources.
    ...See More

Getting ready to sell~how far would you go?

Q

Comments (14)
    patty - it sounds like you have done similar renos to what we have done. We haven't listed our house yet, but will be soon due to a job transfer. We live in AZ, so needs are different here. Where I come from, carpet is very common in the FR/LR/DR and bedrooms. But in AZ, tile is the way to go, so we tiled our entire house, but carpeted the bedrooms. We had the entire inside painted, including the ceilings. Walls Dunn Edwards Inside Passage, Ceilings Swiss coffee. New custom window coverings and just had new light fixtures and faucets installed. I got the light fixtures on clearance at a tent sale for a big light store here. Beautiful, for not much money. They were normally $250, I got them for $30. THe difference is amazing. So in all, we changed the flooring, painted the walls, ceiling and kitchen cupboards, new window coverings, light fixtures (for very cheap, but they are far from cheap looking) and plumbing fixtures. We've had compliments galore on the transformation and our realtor expects us to not necessarily get all our money back, but because of the neutral colours and the freshness of the home, coupled with up to date features like light fixtures, our home will most likely sell faster at a better price. It's move in ready and that's what you want. We didn't want to over-renovate for our area either and we're finished. We're not doing anything else. Instead of replacing all the appliances, offer a home warranty which will give buyer's peace of mind if an appliance konks out. Don't go to the expense of appliances. And don't do granite counters either if your area and price range does not support it. I wanted to do countertops and our realtor said it would be a waste of money for our area.
    ...See More

Closets and Basements and Garages - getting ready to sell

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the input. I know it makes sense to get rid of the stuff instead of moving it. So this really becomes an issue of - do I need to empty these areas before I list the house for sale? My husband is a bit of a pack rat (seriously dear - why do we need to hold onto floppy discs? To prove to your clients that you've been working in IT since before they were born?). And I will never get him to agree to throw his stuff (or even the household stuff) out until I can put a dollar value on moving it. The tentative plan is to have the house in ready condition to list. Then start looking at new houses. When we find a house we like, place an offer with a 2 week selling contingency. Hopefully the sellers will sympathize with our school redistriciting issue (it's a hot political issue in town) and when they hear the sub-development we live in now, they will accept our contingent offer. And if they don't agree, we decide if we want to risk 2 mortgages. Waiting to hear back from the realtor regarding comps, then I'll need to talk to my mortgage guy and my RE attorney. Then look at my bank balance. The figure out a plan on where to go from here.
    ...See More

Time to Sell Our Maui Condo

Q

Comments (33)
    In case you are interested in following along with this adventure... Three of the four realtors emailed me hours after receiving my message. yesterday. This morning I messaged all of them about potential viewings and heard back from all three by 6 a.m. Maui time. Two men plan to view the condo today while the cleaner is there for back-to-back bookings. We have another back-to-back Feb. 15; one man wants to show the condo to a buyer hen. (Yes, I know, the old song and dance about having a buyer waiting!) The third realtor plans to view the condo Feb. 15. The local management company we employ will provide them entry door lock codes. I'm laughing, remembering that when we wanted to buy in 2001 I had to resort to contacting owners of 1BR 2Bath Ocean View condos because no realtor would reply to our questions -- even knowing we were doing a 1031 and had to ID something fast! We got two 'just fishing' replies and bought from one of the two owners who really wanted to sell.
    ...See More
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    8 years ago

Picture 1 gives more info on the bath – good, but without
    a picture of the shower, may read as powder room. Could you stand behind the toilet holding the camera over your head, ducking out of the way??? Might have to be a contortionist! My realtor now uses selfie sticks to get the best angles and distances in tight rooms.

Picture 3 at an angle is great for the dining area. Better than just seeing it from a living room
    picture. Picture 2 doesn’t seem to work
    for me.

The first picture of the front hall from the living room
    seems brighter than the new picture 4.

The previous living room shots seem to make it feel
    bigger. Although, this is a nice picture
    – and it doesn’t make the rug seem overwhelming.

I also thought there may have been a lot of black. Your potential searcher base may also see it as such -- but it still looks good to me. You have a great home to photo!

cpartist thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • artemis_ma
    8 years ago

I love many of the photos, but I am wondering wouldn't someone want to see a full exterior shot of the place? Even if a condo?

Just as a weird aside, back in 1999, my parents sold their home to move in an apartment and then to a retirement community being constructed at that time. I took photos for my parents, but the Realtor wanted her own exterior photos (and was rather snooty at the time about it). Theirs didn't come out right, so the agency ended up using mine...

cpartist thanked artemis_ma
  • scone911
    8 years ago

Buyers are not going to recalibrate their computers. The floors come across as black. It's the impression, not the reality, that rules here, because the buyer will see many homes, and they will take away an impressionistic memory. Your condo reads as "that Chinese place with the red curtains and the black floors." It's a very specific look.

If it comes across as dark to buyers, then it is dark, and you will only attract buyers who want dark, or who are planning to rip everything out anyway, which means they will offer a lower price. Whereas, if you style the home to attract the widest possible range of buyers, you have a better chance of getting a good price. Isn't that your goal?

Just do what designers do, put a lighter rug down, even if it's just seagrass. The dark wood frames the light rug and defines the space. Everything I have suggested is cheap and easy, no remodeling required.

If you want, hire a styling service that let's you rent stuff. No big deal. But you have to be objective-- this process isn't about validating your personal taste, it's about making money. It's just business.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you loonlake. Will work further on the pics too.

Thanks artemis. Yes there will be pics of the outside of the condo, the lobby, the pool, and the gym. Those are pretty much stock photos so I didn't include them in this grouping.

BTW: Love stories like that!

Thanks Scone. Let's agree to disagree on what will sell here. I think putting down cheap, light colored rugs throughout the place will tell buyers that there's something wrong with the floors underneath. Buyers here want hardwood floors in excellent condition. The floors are dark (and in excellent condition) so why pretend they are what they are not?

Additionally I am in an very upscale area where people are well traveled. They will realize that the art and sculpture in my condo is from my travels and not just as you say, Chinese.

In fact the furniture, art and sculpture throughout my condo comes from Japan, Bali, China, Thailand, Africa, India, French Polynesia, Russia, Vietnam, England, Netherlands, France, Mexico and even down the street. But having said that, I designed my condo to be what I call craftsman/Asian/contemporary. I'm not about to remove half my furniture to suit a generic middle. By your reasoning, should I also redo my vanities and medicine cabinets in my master bathroom since they too read as Asian.

My sister had a red living room, a blue study, a green kitchen and had buddha's and other even Hindu symbols in her house. Her floors in the red room had bluestone. Sounds awful doesn't it? It wasn't. And guess what? She sold the house in 7 days and had 2 backup offers. And no, it wasn't a hot market. There were lots of other houses in the neighborhood that hadn't sold.

My point in saying this is we can take it too far in trying to meet the generic middle of the road. My concern is that the house looks well designed and that nothing major sticks out. In fact the only thing that does seem to stick out is that ceiling in the kitchen. In the photos, I'm going to try and minimize that since in reality it looks better than it photographs.

Oh and one last point? I am an artist and designer. :)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The last group of photos I posted, I didn't color correct as they were close enough. I was posting them more for how they were shot in terms of the layout. When I actually put them up on the website, I will make sure they are color corrected

• eld6161
    8 years ago

What I see is a move in ready, nicely decorated home. Depending on what else is available the dark floors could be a deal breaker for me.

if your condo is in a class of it's own, nothing else out there with as nice a kitchen and bathrooms, I could over look the dark floor.

What's your competition?

cpartist thanked eld6161
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Ellen. Even though all on my line are the same square footage, each has been altered over the past 30+ years. For example, there is one that is 2 floors above me where they opened what is my office to the living area making it into a den area. Also the room is purple. The master bath has yellow walls. He is asking 30k more than me.

I am the only one who opened the kitchen to the dining room. All the others in my line you have to walk into the foyer hall and around to get from the kitchen to the dining room.

The other problem in my building is that some like mine have been completely redone while others still have original kitchens and baths and the pricing reflects the differences.

• golfergirl29
    8 years ago

cpartist, I recently sold our house while we were building. I interviewed 3 real estate agents, and found that one agent stood out because his own website so was inviting, fast, and easy to use and the pictures of the listed houses looked superb. I am a pretty good photographer, but his guy used wider angle lenses and filters that made our house look warm and inviting. So much better than other photos I had seen. We were under contract within one week, and I'm confident the traffic was based on the photos. I would make sure I found a professional real estate photographer whose work I liked; it will make a huge difference in getting prospects to your door. You can see what he did here:http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12906-Chathlake-Ln-Silver-Spring-MD-20904/37137508_zpid/

cpartist thanked golfergirl29
  • User
    8 years ago

Sounds like you have all figured out....I deleted photos I posted as they are of no use of you. Best luck with your selling.

cpartist thanked User
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you golfergirl. I agree the secret is an excellent photographer and a wide angle lens. Yours definitely looked good but a good part of it was your home too. :)

azmom thank you. My floors are dark and that will be a turn off to many. (It actually would be a turnoff to myself nowadays as I would never pick such dark floors again.) I think more than the corrected color, which needs to be done, I need to get the wide angle shots.

• scone911
    8 years ago

You don't have to "put down cheap rugs all over the floors." Area rugs in any light color will break up the darkness and actually enhance the floors.

The condo does read as "Asian." There's nothing wrong with that, and I never suggested you should rip out any vanities or do any remodeling. Again, we are talking about styling here, and that's all.

Your sister's experience is one anecdote. Just as one swallow does not make a summer, one anecdote does not mean you will have the same experience as your sister. Assuming that your buyers are well traveled and therefore will like your stuff and your choices is not logical. The "typical" Florida look is aqua, palm motifs, and white furniture. Your choices are quite different, and that can work against you. Which doesn't mean you have to chuck all your things and paint the walls aqua, just neutralize.

Now, it should not be about your stuff in the first place, unless you are selling your furniture, but quite often people can't look past the colors and objects. People can, and will, pass up homes because the walls are the wrong color or they don't like the granite. Or maybe they don't like Buddhas.

If they don't like the initial impression, they won't pick up the phone to arrange a showing. You've got just a couple of minutes to get them to pick up that phone. That's not fair, but that's just reality.

Now, you might get lucky and find a buyer who is looking for this exact style, and if so, that's great. But it's just common sense to cast your net as widely as possible, and tone down anything that might narrow your target market. Don't let this become about validating your personal taste-- the market does not care that you are an artist.

I say this as someone who has been involved in design and construction since the 70s, and I've been flipping houses for many years. I have learned the hard way that when realtors say "neutralize the space," it really makes a critical difference, getting you more showings, more offers, and better offers, in a shorter time frame.

Consider that you may be looking at this condo as an artistic expression, and you have an emotional attachment to it. That would be fine-- if you were intending to stay. But you are selling, you are competing with the comps-- that's all. It's about what the market expects and will pay. So if the process is too personal, and you're too close to the problem, hire a stylist for objectivity. Or bite the bullet and do the work yourself-- neutralize by styling. It's not easy, and some money will have to be spent, but it will likely pay off.

Now I'm putting this out there assuming you really want the tough critique and not just emotional support and validation. If I've misread your intentions, please say so.

cpartist thanked scone911
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ou don't have to "put down cheap rugs all over the floors." Area rugs in any light color will break up the darkness and actually enhance the floors.

I understood what you were saying. :) I'm just saying that if I put rugs down all over it looks like I am trying to hide something. An interesting aside. We are building a new home (a house) nearby which is why we are selling. I was at the flooring place and the salesman said that dark floors are very much still a big selling point here. Go figure. I will NEVER have such a dark floor again.

Your sister's experience is one anecdote. Just as one swallow does not make a summer, one anecdote does not mean you will have the same experience as your sister.

Of course it's not. BTW this isn't the first place I've sold either. I've sold 5 other homes throughout my life and all but 1 sold in less than 2 months. The one that took longer sold during the recession in 2010 and ours was the ONLY house to sell in our area within a 6 month period. Plus I've helped stage homes for several of my friends.

Assuming that your buyers are well traveled and therefore will like your stuff and your choices is not logical. The "typical" Florida look is aqua, palm motifs, and white furniture. Your choices are quite different, and that can work against you. Which doesn't mean you have to chuck all your things and paint the walls aqua, just neutralize.

When was the last time you were in a "typical" high end Florida home? I have been in many, many Fl homes and while there may be a palm motif in a corner of one room, not one person I know has the "typical" FL look you talk of, UNLESS they haven't redecorated in the past 30 years.

Now, it should not be about your stuff in the first place, unless you are selling your furniture, but quite often people can't look past the colors and objects. People can, and will, pass up homes because the walls are the wrong color or they don't like the granite. Or maybe they don't like Buddhas.

Absolutely true. Or they may pass it up because it's not aqua and pink or greige or because it's too stark, or not stark enough or because they want white walls, or because they don't like cherry cabinets or... There is no way I will please everyone who walks in. Again the goal is to make the overall look and feel warm and inviting and a bit luxurious. I say luxurious because of the price point I am at.

Now, you might get lucky and find a buyer who is looking for this exact style, and if so, that's great. But it's just common sense to cast your net as widely as possible, and tone down anything that might narrow your target market. Don't let this become about validating your personal taste-- the market does not care that you are an artist.

I think I've done just that. You don't that is fine. IF my RE agent feels Buddha is a negative, I'll take him down. She's a friend as well as our agent so I trust her judgement. I have none of my art hanging although she suggested I do that too. You seem fixated on the Buddha.

I say this as someone who has been involved in design and construction since the 70s, and I've been flipping houses for many years. I have learned the hard way that when realtors say "neutralize the space," it really makes a critical difference, getting you more showings, more offers, and better offers, in a shorter time frame.

Do you also flip million dollar homes?

Consider that you may be looking at this condo as an artistic expression, and you have an emotional attachment to it.

I have absolutely no emotional attachment to this condo. I look at it like selling one of my paintings. Once I've finished with a painting, it's on to the next. It's the same with the house.

That would be fine-- if you were intending to stay. But you are selling, you are competing with the comps-- that's all. It's about what the market expects and will pay.

And trust me when I say my house shows better than the majority of the comps around here in my price range.

Now I'm putting this out there assuming you really want the tough critique and not just emotional support and validation. If I've misread your intentions, please say so.

As I've said, this is not my first time selling either and every other time with the exception of 2010, I sold within 2 months. Meaning from offer to final closing.

Now having said all that, I completely agree about how the photos look. I need to take more wide angle shots that focus more of the rooms vs the stuff in the rooms.

• chisue
    8 years ago

A new listing is like Opening Night. You want to present an ideal of living targeted to the widest audience possible. Have you seen listings with photos that just blew you away? (Have you seen vacation rentals with great photos on VRBO?) Hire one of those stagers/photographers.

A little time and money invested in staging (and de-personalizing) before Opening Night will help you sell faster -- and avoid your condo becoming 'stale' over weeks of showings.

I don't think you have to paint anything. Scone911's suggestions are good and not costly. Pack up your precious things. You want to keep them safe, and they are distractions. Have you chosen a realtor? What does he or she advise?

I think the bathrooms and the kitchen are wonderful. I *like* the dark floors; play them up with light rugs.

The pale green BR is very good, but pull the dark piece. Add a simple bedside table. Add lamps. Pack up the purple bedspread (and rug) in the MBR. (Think of hotel room ads with elaborate duvets, pillows -- the ahh, come and REST look.) The TV room/office needs warming up. Avoid close-ups of the jalousies and the paint sheen on the foyer's closet wall. (I'd skip any close view of the foyer or put it far down in the listing.) Add VIEW photos. Show the walls of glass and your balconies. Sell the idea of relaxing and all the extra *space* out there.

cpartist thanked chisue
  • sushipup1
    8 years ago

The condo looks wonderful, don't do a single thing. After reading this thread, I will NOT be putting my house on this forum when we list it in a couple of weeks. No way!

• scone911
    8 years ago

Look, I'm giving you the tough love because that's what you will get from the market. Your friend the realtor may not want to tell you this stuff, and it's really no skin off her nose if the place does not sell at top price, as long as she gets the commission. And she may have "bought the listing" hoping to get you to climb down later. Hiring friends is not an arm's length transaction, and not recommended. Far better to hire business associates, to keep the friendships.

And then again, your friends on the internet have nothing to lose, except your conversation, so they might as well tell you what you want to hear.

Everyone seriously involved in real estate is very well aware of what's going on in Florida, as well as Arizona, Las Vegas, and California. We all know they have just been through the biggest crash since the Great Depression, and still in recovery. If interest rates go up next year, they could start to struggle again, and your competition could get more intense. You still have distressed and underwater properties in Florida, and that will be a part of the competition.

As for me, not that it matters, I've looked closely at Florida real estate, and concluded there are too many long term economic problems there, demographic issues, infrastructure and employment issues. I won't be investing there.

I would never touch a "million dollar" property, because it can take a long time to sell, and the market can take a dive along the way. It's a lot of capital at risk that could be spread out over several properties and other investments, to diversify. I'm not in this for social status points, and I try not to take risks that may not pay off.

FWIW I think the easy money has been made in this business cycle, the profits will be slower going forward. Rentals are still somewhat attractive, given low bond yields and high stock valuations.

Enough about me. What you have here, realistically, is a masstige remodeled condo with some views. The masstige price point is actually an advantage, since the higher the price, the smaller the market. And the place looks to be in decent shape. All you need is styling, which is cheap. For some reason, you are resisting this approach. That's why I conclude you are emotionally attached to your "composition" and don't want to hear criticism. A pro would already have neutralized the space, and wouldn't need to be told.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't think you have to paint anything. Scone911's suggestions are good and not costly. Pack up your precious things. You want to keep them safe, and they are distractions. Have you chosen a realtor? What does he or she advise?

My realtor came in and was fine with how everything was. She feels it will sell quickly and actually wants to put it on for more than we feel comfortable putting it on for. We would rather take a little bit less and not have it sit on the market.

Once we put it on the market, my Vietnamese figurines, my dogs, etc will be packed away as I don't want any of those things "walking off".

I think the bathrooms and the kitchen are wonderful. I *like* the dark floors; play them up with light rugs.

The pale green BR is very good, but pull the dark piece. Add a simple bedside table. Add lamps.

Again, in person the dark dresser looks fine. I do agree about putting in some more lighting.

Pack up the purple bedspread (and rug) in the MBR. (Think of hotel room ads with elaborate duvets, pillows -- the ahh, come and REST look.)

In person it is red and picks up the red stripe in the drapes. I would love to instead find something else to put on the bed in maybe the same beige as the drapes but I have been looking for 5 years now and it's impossible to find a color that would work in the room other than what is there.

The TV room/office needs warming up. Avoid close-ups of the jalousies and the paint sheen on the foyer's closet wall.

Good idea. I'll be sure to take a wide angle view of the room instead. It could be a TV room but it actually is my studio which is why it's purposely kept a bit bland. I took out my easel and light. Any ideas on warming it up?

(I'd skip any close view of the foyer or put it far down in the listing.) Add VIEW photos. Show the walls of glass and your balconies. Sell the idea of relaxing and all the extra *space* out there.

Yes we have those photos and I'm not concerned about those which is why I didn't bother adding them to the thread here. They really will help sell our place.

The interesting thing is most people who move into this building move in because they know of the building and the fantastic services we have in this building. The majority of people in this building already "knew" someone who lived here before moving in and the renovated places do sell first and for a premium.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Look, I'm giving you the tough love because that's what you will get from the market. Your friend the realtor may not want to tell you this stuff, and it's really no skin off her nose if the place does not sell at top price, as long as she gets the commission. And she may have "bought the listing" hoping to get you to climb down later. Hiring friends is not an arm's length transaction, and not recommended. Far better to hire business associates, to keep the friendships.

Maybe but then again I make it a point to read the listing book daily and to look at the pictures and go to the open houses. I know what is going on in my area.

As for her being our friend, that came AFTER we rented from her our first year down here and AFTER she was our agent when we bought this place.

And then again, your friends on the internet have nothing to lose, except your conversation, so they might as well tell you what you want to hear.

And that is fine too. I can read what you have to say and agree or disagree. :)

Everyone seriously involved in real estate is very well aware of what's going on in Florida, as well as Arizona, Las Vegas, and California. We all know they have just been through the biggest crash since the Great Depression, and still in recovery. If interest rates go up next year, they could start to struggle again, and your competition could get more intense. You still have distressed and underwater properties in Florida, and that will be a part of the competition.

A lot depends on where in FL you are.

We bought our condo at the bottom of the market in 2010. Based on comps and not including the renovation, we will either double what we paid for the condo five years ago or be close to that amount. That is how much RE in our area has risen in the past 5 years. Now granted we bought a place that needed fixing up, but even adding that into the equation we are well ahead of the game.

The reason we are putting it on the market now is because things will most likely change in the next year. If not because of interest rates, because of the election, etc.

I would never touch a "million dollar" property, because it can take a long time to sell, and the market can take a dive along the way. It's a lot of capital at risk that could be spread out over several properties and other investments, to diversify. I'm not in this for social status points, and I try not to take risks that may not pay off.

So what you're saying is your idea of what a property needs for staging is different than what a property in my market needs for staging. Trust me if I was staging a property in a less expensive area, I'd be doing it a lot differently and have.

And while million dollar houses do take longer to sell here, condos sell quite quickly and for cash. It's actually the less expensive homes that take longer to sell as they are a dime a dozen down here.

FWIW I think the easy money has been made in this business cycle, the profits will be slower going forward. Rentals are still somewhat attractive, given low bond yields and high stock valuations.

I agree with you.

Enough about me. What you have here, realistically, is a masstige remodeled condo with some views. The masstige price point is actually an advantage, since the higher the price, the smaller the market.

This building was designed by one of the foremost architects in our area and is considered a landmark for our city. It was built in 1982. But you're probably correct in using the term masstige.

• chisue
    8 years ago

I hope your RE market is much better than ours is for upper brackets. Neighbors sold this fall for *half* of what they paid in 2005 -- after they had followed the market down for three years. (Granted, we thought they overpaid back then, but this was brutal.) Other neighbors have been on almost that long with no price reductions; they just dropped their price to get five dollars below $3M.

At the same time, realtors can't get enough listings in more moderate price ranges. The spring RE market will be 'interesting'. Is there a *best* time of year for selling in your area, CPartist?

cpartist thanked chisue
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here are some photos from an apartment in the same line as mine that is two floors above me. They have theirs listed for $80k more than we have ours listed.

The first is the master bath.

This next one is what is my office.
    This is the master bedroom

Here is the view from the dining room looking into the kitchen. Note that they didn't open the kitchen to the dining room so you need to walk around into the foyer to get to the dining room. I'm the only one who opened it up.

Their living room.

What works better is that they are showing the view outside. This apartment is overpriced. He originally had it priced $95,000 more than it is now and it's been on the market since March.

I absolutely need to show a view from that angle though.

• Linda Doherty
    8 years ago

The pictures you posted of your neighbors are better pics/angles/lighting than your pics. The master looks higher end because of the colors/view/angle. Same with the living room. Your floors are nicer, but you need to get better pics.

cpartist thanked Linda Doherty
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope your RE market is much better than ours is for upper brackets.

This is sort of the lower end of the upper bracket. The condos next to ours starts at $1.5M and the new ones they are building down the street start at $1.5M for less square footage. The condo on the other side of us is a new build and the lowest price condo there was $900k and that was only for 1 on the lowest floor. The average was $1.5M. Of course the new ones are mostly sold because everyone wants new. Down the block, they are building full floor condos that start at $2.5M and they are 1/2 sold already. Across the street is the same thing.

Last year there were 8 or 9 that sold in our building and prices ranged from $600 on up to $1.020 depending on the floor, the view, the size and how improved it was. The year before 17 sold and the highest price then was $995k for a 2 br, 2bth with 1800 square feet on the 9th floor.

At the same time, realtors can't get enough listings in more moderate price ranges. The spring RE market will be 'interesting'. Is there a *best* time of year for selling in your area, CPartist?

Right after the new year until mid April is the best time down here which is another reason we are putting the condo on the market now.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The pictures you posted of your neighbors are better pics/angles/lighting than your pics. The master looks higher end because of the colors/view/angle. Same with the living room. Your floors are nicer, but you need to get better pics.

I agree with you. I need to get better angles and need that wide angle lens.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

To me, it looks move-in ready and upscale.

This is nitpicking, but there are a few things:

1. If the master closet is nice (large), I'd show it.

2. If you have the views, show some more of the rooms with their outside views. (Your competitors' condo is, well, a couple of degrees less appealing, but the pics of the LR/DR and BR truly capitalize on the views.)

3. The lonesome painting in the green bedroom. I'd remove it or replace with a large piece of art; it looks a bit random there. Also, I would remove the rug in that room to make the room appear larger and truly highlight the floors.

4. Also would remove that lonesome cook jar from the fridge. It doesn't really enhance the modern, streamlined look of your kitchen.

5. What is that empty frame under the air outlet on the left of the fridge?

cpartist thanked nosoccermom
  • midcenturymodernlove
    8 years ago

I don't like you second photo, which focuses on your artwork and furniture and not the space. I think you need to remove a lot of stuff.

Remove the rumpled towels in the bathrooms. If you hang towels at all, they should be folded with surgical precision. Same issue with the beds -they are rumpled. Smooth those sheets and blankets out to perfection. It is distracting. You want nothing distracting from the space.

Personally, I don't like photos that are from the viewpoint/height of an 8 year old child and several of these were. I like photos that look exactly like what I will see when I step in, and in order. Outside. View, entry, enter each room with the longest angle possible so you see expanses of floors and the space seems large.

cpartist thanked midcenturymodernlove
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you nosoccermom

To me, it looks move-in ready and upscale.

This is nitpicking, but there are a few things:

1. If the master closet is nice (large), I'd show it.

It's a decent size but not huge. 7' x 11.5'

2. If you have the views, show some more of the rooms with their outside views. (Your competitors' condo is, well, a couple of degrees less appealing, but the pics of the LR/DR and BR truly capitalize on the views.)

As mentioned, I need to take more photos with the same views.

3. The lonesome painting in the green bedroom. I'd remove it or replace with a large piece of art; it looks a bit random there.

Can't remove it because of the hook on the wall. DH had hung it two years ago and I'm stuck now as I don't have the stuff to make the textured walls.

Also, I would remove the rug in that room to make the room appear larger and truly highlight the floors.

I will try that.

4. Also would remove that lonesome cook jar from the fridge. It doesn't really enhance the modern, streamlined look of your kitchen.

I was hoping to put some color up there but it can be removed.

5. What is that empty frame under the air outlet on the left of the fridge?

My electrical panel. All the condos have them in the kitchen like that. We put the bamboo frame around it to hide it.

• alley2007
    8 years ago

Beautiful condo. I am pretty sure that I recognize your view :) (and if I'm right, agree with your comments about the location, market and buyers). You've already received comments about professional photographer, wide angle lens, showing off your views, photographing the space rather than the objects in the space, etc, so I won't repeat and will offer just a few very nit picky things I noticed.

remove the decorative vase from the top of the fridge.

arrange pillows on couch in office and remove the book.

remove hanging towels from all bathroom pictures.

Good luck!

cpartist thanked alley2007
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you alley. I will take yours and everyone else's advice and do so.

If I said to you that my condo is directly across from the marina and the statue would that give it away? ;)

• alley2007
    8 years ago

Yes! ;)

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

:) Are you in town?

• c9pilot
    8 years ago

Your condo is lovely and should sell very quickly if it is priced correctly and exposed on the market. Your style is perfect for many, many Florida buyers - don't listen to to anybody encouraging the palm trees, wicker and pastels - very passe. Your pictures are fine - yes, they could be better and more perfect - but they will get buyers to see your home which is the point. Nothing about these photos is going to stop me from scheduling a showing! (But yes, please take that thing off the top of the fridge)

Over $500K you should be on LUXVT or similar (ask your agent how s/he is marketing luxury and reaching foreign markets) You should be able to get up to 50 photos, including the "lifestyle" photos - view, condo amenities, local highlights, etc, esp that marina!

If you haven't done so yet, collect all the condo docs so that your agent can attach them to the listing. Make this as easy and smooth for the buyer as possible. Docs, by-laws, declaration of condo, house rules, FAQs, minutes from the past 6 mo board meetings. If your buyer needs condo approval, attach the application with your part filled out. Attach the condo rider to the FL contract (you will need to provide some information to fill it out). Attach the seller's disclosure and be as informative as possible with dates for appliances and such.

Ensure your listing is very, very accurate. Nothing makes buyers agents crazier than searching for a specific condo and the listing agents are lazy about checking the boxes. For example, the height of the building (high rise, mid-rise, etc), # floor your condo is on (ground floor, 2-3 floor, penthouse), parking situation (under building, carport, assigned, whatever), stairs or elevator?, that sort of thing. Buyers have very specific needs and sellers can easily meet them if their agents take the time to list them. (Also no ALL CAPS, but I'm sure you know this) **Edit: also clearly state the leasing/renting rules on the listing - a lot of buyers want to know if they can rent right away, seasonal, that sort of thing**

Make your condo easy to show (this falls under "exposure on the market") and ensure your agent puts clear, non-conflicting showing instructions (my other condo pet peeve? "Use showing button, call listing agent, agent must be present to show, easy to show, combo lockbox (but no combo provided), show and go, 24-hours notice required" <<==well which is it????)

Good luck! Wish I had a buyer for you! (actually, what town are you in? I might have a buyer coming in January)

• alley2007
    8 years ago

No, my family has a vacation home on the bay. Wishing I had booked a trip for New Years now!!

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Alley, next time you're down here, give me a holler through messaging.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

c9pilot, thank you for the affirmation. And terrific information. I will ask our RE Agent about all you suggested.

Yes I'll take the cookie jar off the fridge! LOL.

We are preparing all the docs now and once DH's kids come and leave next week, we are listing with our agent.

Please message me and I'll give you all the particulars about our condo. :)

Right now we put up a sign in our condo and had an agent come in yesterday with a buyer and another buyer today. Both saw the 5 pictures in my flyer in the lobby.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Only the *photo angles* are superior in your competitor's listing. (What's wrong with those ceilings? Doesn't look like popcorn, but weird.)

cpartist thanked chisue
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Only the *photo angles* are superior in your competitor's listing. (What's wrong with those ceilings? Doesn't look like popcorn, but weird.)

They are what are called skip trowel I believe. It seems like no one in FL knows how to do a fine, smooth finished wall or ceiling so they fake it by throwing on textures. I hate that texture and I got the next best thing to a smooth wall and ceiling which down here is an orange peel texture.

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

3. The lonesome painting in the green bedroom. I'd remove it or replace with a large piece of art; it looks a bit random there.

Can't remove it because of the hook on the wall. DH had hung it two
    years ago and I'm stuck now as I don't have the stuff to make the
    textured walls.

I'd hang a large piece of art.

Also, could you hang some art over he electric panel?

And instead of the cookie jar, maybe wine or something in chrome.

cpartist thanked nosoccermom
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll see what I can do about the photo in the guest bedroom but I hate the idea of adding a second hook and if I hang something large there it would mean a second hook.

No if I hang something over the electric panel it will interfere with my pantry closet. Plus the panel is about 2 1/2" deep so no art would fit over it. Plus it's actually a selling feature as it is right now. I had an agent come in yesterday and point out what "a good job" I had done in disguising the electrical panel box.

• lan_47fl
    8 years ago

I think your condo looks lovely. Living just south of you, I know your location and I think you will be sold before you know it. Wishing you a speedy sale.

cpartist thanked lan_47fl
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Ian. :) Hopefully the new monstrosity they are putting up across the street won't affect my sale.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

We have a vacation/rental condo in SW FL. When we bought back in the 90's, our agent said to focus on the location and the view -- pretty much everything else can be changed. With that said, the interior is just stunning but I would like to see more of the view for sure. What do I see when I look out the bedroom window, lanai, etc...???

Condos by us definately tend to be decorated in a lighter, brighter, more "Florida" fashion -- but they are mainly vacation rentals. People from the north want to feel like they are in a tropical location when they come down there -- different than at home.

Are people in your building mainly full time residents? Or snow-birds? Renters???

cpartist thanked stir_fryi SE Mich
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you stir. I will have pictures out the windows. Our condo isn't a vacation rental condo. Our bylaws state that we are only allowed to rent out our condo on a yearly basis and only one renter a year who must also be approved by the board. It's a combo of full timers and snow birds. We have 100 units and I believe 7 are rentals. Most of the renters have lived here for many years already

• lyfia
    8 years ago

cpartist - I think it looks good overall. Some of the rugs looks a little wimpy etc. but doubt that will keep you from selling, same as some of the accessories being too many in some spots. Overall impression is very positive to me. Most of that stuff is just nit picks for lack of other things to pick on I think. If you do decide to balance the artwork you might want to look at command hooks. No need to make any holes.

I think with wider angle pictures that shows the rooms it will be just fine. Only thing I would do is leave just the larger accessories and remove any groupings of smaller things - less to pack later anyways and it looks less busy in those spots, for those that like less "fuss".

cpartist thanked lyfia
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you lyfia. I'm planning on having it reshot on Sunday using a wide angle lens. As mentioned we have pics of the views, the condo building, the lobby, pool, etc. I will remove the small groupings as I need to put them away so they don't "walk away" during showings. Once we've (the agent and us) decided on our 25 pictures, I'll post again.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Good luck with your photo shoot tomorrow. Would it be awful to ask you to start a new thread with the new pictures -- with a recap at the top?

cpartist thanked chisue
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I can do that chisue. I removed the cookie jar and all the small knick knacks. Kept Buddha. Will remove the rug in the guest bedroom, chairs, etc.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Thanks, CPartist. I love to 'follow along', but sometimes these threads get to be 'tomes'.

cpartist thanked chisue
  • cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Pictures have been taken, but now I need to weed through them. Also my agent is coming in the morning so I think I'll wait to see what she says too.

• cpartist
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here is a link to my final photos and the listing Condo Listing