SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

Getting ready to sell~how far would you go?

patty_cakes
17 years ago

I'm in Ca and readying my home to sell. Everyone knows that prices are 'outta sight' here, and because of the amount of homes on the market, buyers are expecting more for thier money. I'll be pricing my almost 1600 SQ FT, 2 BR, 2 1/2 BA condo at about $425, but feel at this price granite countertops shouldn't be expected, nor should items like crown molding, and new kitchen cabinets, the big ticket items.

Over the past 3 years I've had engineered flooring installed in the sitting room(off kitchen), kitchen/eating area, powder room, and living room~this is probably a little over half the SQ FT of the condo. New Italian porcelain 20" tile set on the diagonal was installed in the foyer at the same time.

I updated the cabinets by painting them a creamy white and installed black knobs~i'm still debating on counter tops, but am leaning toward a laminate. I wanted to do a black, and posted that question here, but was given a very strong 'NO'. How about a laminate that looks like granite, cream, black and a bit of tan? Appliance are only a few years old, and almond colored, but don't look bad with the tan walls. Repalce with white or stainless??

All the walls will be a warm, light tan, and trim/doors the same creamy white as the cabs. Old linoleum is still in both baths and not lifting, but am installing tile to bring the floors up to date somewhat, but nothing fancy. I've changed out the 1984 light fixtures, and put in new undermounnt sinks/fixtures in all bathrooms~counters are cultured white onyx, and in good shape.

All windows will get new screens, faux wood white 2" blinds, and a good professional cleaning.!LOL

Outside patio will get the floor repainted in a faux tile design, security gate freshly spray painted black, and outside door re-stained, as that's what is 'required' by HOA. Will add a few nice big, plants/flowers to make the outside inviting.

Last but not least, will be re-carpeting the DR, stairs, and two bedrooms~IMO, I feel the MBR sink/vanity area should be tiled with the shower/WC area, but DD thinks I should just re-carpet. Thoughts on this please?

My question is, have I gone far enough to update, and possibly bring in a winner? I looked at two very comparable condos in my complex yesterday. One did put granite in the kitchen, but kept the old, dark wood cabs, but refreshed them with a good waxing. Bathrooms were redone with standard 6" white tile(as was the foyer), fixtures/lighting had been redone, but nothing special. It was move-in ready with new paint(gray/blue!), and off white carpeting. The DR/stairs had new Pergo installed, but IMO, it looked cheap. New white moldings/crown was also installed. New verticals were on the windows. This particuliar unit is alomost 200 SQ FT smaller than my unit and the asking price is $439. The other condo is getting absolutely no upgrades as the family just wants to sell it due to the death of their mother/grandmother. This one is also smaller, and they're asking $412. I want my condo viewed as more elegant, and classy, something i'm not seeing in a low price range.

I should also mention that both these units are centered around other buildings, whereas mine sort of stands alone, has a canyon view, and green areas on each end of the four-unit building.

Sorry this is so long, but i'm in a frenzy as to how much up-dating really IS expected. I'm in San Diego, so maybe some of you locals can give me a few tips, but advice from ALL forum members is greatly appreciated!! TIA ;o)

patty_cakes

Comments (14)