SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vipassana

One Year Down the Adenium Rabbit Hole

vipassana
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello everyone. I've been messing with Adeniums for a year now. I've been lurking this forum, enjoying the community and knowledge base, for about 8 months now. I've learned a great deal in that time; the regulars here are to be commended. I thought I should join up and share my (meager) collection, and with an account, I can finally ask some questions.

I planted my first Adenium seed almost 1 year ago to the day. My most recent batch was planted this past December. In that time I went from florescent shop lights with a tray warmer made from Christmas lights, to outdoors in the AZ sun, to a tent/mat/LED setup (inspired by several of you on here). I'm learning by trial and error.

I also had the opportunity to attend a lecture at the local C&S society by Dr Mark Dimmitt, which was excellent.

I enjoy pictures so there will be many.

Here is my first seedling, Ad. obesum

You can see my "heat mat" setup. It worked well. In hindsight, my initial choice of soil was very poor.

They grew well despite my best efforts.

The laboratory:

I repotted them after 3-4 months. In hindsight, they were much too small and the pots they went into were much too large. But I got the soil right!

The next several months the collection was left outside, under some bushes in the Arizona heat. They were largely neglected due to training for a cycling race that consumed 10-15 hours a week. Some made it, most didn't. Surprisingly, it wasn't the 100+ degree heat they did them in, but rather a pair of Cactus Wrens that loved the uproot them and destroy their caudexes. This was frustrating.

I finally finished with the training and the race and the weather got cold. After much reading on here, I bought a 30"x30"x60" tent, 3 Mars Hydro LED lams (2 x 300w, 1 x 450w), and 2 heat mats. My ragged outdoor collection was moved into the tent just as the temps started to get into the 40s.

My next seed crops were planted throughout November and December. Obesums and Arabicums.

Here are some Arabicum seedlings, ~1.5-2 months old. I'm now starting in community trays and then transplanting.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor