SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjcc123

Please tell me what is in my cabinet--a plumbing nightmare?

C C
8 years ago

Hi all--first-time poster, a fond lurker, and very much interested in what you may have to tell me about my cabinet situation.

Quick house bio: medium-sized farmhouse in mountains of NC, original part built in 1936, expanded and remodeled by prior owners over the course of the late 80s-early 90s. We have owned it for 5 years, slowly correcting the moronic mistakes of said remodel and renovation while raising small kids. Next up: kitchen!

As we plan our cabinets and improvements, we are somewhat stumped by the contents of this cabinet. We know enough to know this is a vent of some kind and a shut-off--but why here? Is there any changing it? Is it dangerous and/or a huge code violation? Do we repeat the cabinet hack performed here when we install new cabinets? For reference--this kitchen wall (refrigerator is on this wall) separates the kitchen from the laundry/mudroom, which has the washer, laundry sink, and water heater on the same wall. We have enough cabinet space that we've just happily ignored this cabinet for 5 years, but I feel our blissful ignorance must come to an end now.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)