SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjay2u

my vinyl floor NIGHTMARE! learn from my mistake

msjay2u
16 years ago

I had started a thread on need vinyl flooring advise which I can't find now. Good Lord it is hard to find your old posts on here. They get buried so dang fast. Anyway I wanted to update you guys and switch from kitchen to bathroom. I put a vinyl floor down in my kitchen following the advise given to me about using the glue with the self stick tiles and it went down like a charm. It came out perfectly. I went to the Habitat restore and found these nice tiles for 25 cents a piece. they did not have any glue on them. so DF goes out and buys this big bucket of Roberts 3000 glue for the tiles. He says that there was not enough of the glue from the kitchen. Now the bathroom floor is only like 5 x 8 of some rediculously small area. Yes this is a BIG bucket!

{{!gwi}}

I told him even though the tiles were not self stick he should follow the same instructions as in the kitchen but nooooooooo just like a man he said "WILL YOU LET ME HANDLE THIS?" so I did. Mistake... big mistake!

okay he cuts the tiles and shows me how they are gonna look. Just beautiful. He got his cuts perfectly. Then he puts the glue down and lays the new floor. It looked so beautiful. Well looks are deceiving cause that was Saturday and as of today (Wednesday) there is still glue seeping out the seams with EVERY step you take in the bathroom.

{{!gwi}}

Okay so I read the bucket. THIS GLUS IS NOT FOR VINYL TILES it is for sheet vinyl and carpet!!

I tried to call the company but obviously they close early. I think we are going to have to take the tiles up, somehow get the glue off of them and the floor and start over.

I did learn a neat trick in the process though. If you get unwanted glue on tiles and it is a sticky mess here is how to get it off without messing up your tiles. I used GOJO hand cleaner, rubbed it on the tile by hand let it sit then used a sponge with hot water rung out and wiped it off. The glue came off the top like a charm and did not effect the finish at all. I would try it on the back but I do not know if I will be able to get any glue to stick to the back after using my miracle treatment.

Thanks for listening and if you have any advise on how to fix DF's mess up PLEASE let me know. He tried!

I hate to lose these tiles because they look so nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: you can keep up with my rehab projects here

Comments (13)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012