SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forneysp

Help with my community garden- newbie

Scott
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have enjoyed reading and learning from you all. I was wondering if I could explain my garden situation, and then ask you all for advice on my next plan of action. Sorry for the long post

About my garden: I rent a plot at a community garden. It is 20x60 feet. I live in zone 6, Ohio. It is full sun and can be very windy. I am in the organic section. This is my second year, coming back to the same plot this year.

When I started last year, the first thing I noticed was the HUGE amount of Johnson grass (Sorghum halepense). This was my first experience with this horrible invasive weed. Some other people at the garden told me the only way to get rid of it was to pull out the rhyzomes completely.

Being young and new, I had great plans of doing "no-till" to be best for the soil. (it seemed everyone around me was tilling) So, I began trying to pull out all the roots of this johnson grass, by hand/fork, for my 20x60 foot garden. (I bought a broad fork that worked great). Hours and hours, days of pulling, and I managed to get about 1/3 of my garden cleared.

It got to the point that the johnson grass was growing way faster than I could pull it out. The grass reached a point of being taller than me by the end of the season and began to seed. I COULDN'T KEEP UP!!

So, this year....

Option 1: I was thinking about trying to till up the area of the garden that I was unable to work last year. (I am now open to using a tiller for the first year and after that trying to not disturb the soil) The soil is not good, so I need to improve with a cover crop of some kind. I don't have enough compost to cover this amount of area. In the fall, I want to collect a lot of leaves and spread.

Option 2: Solarization- (I saw another guy do this to his garden last year and might want to try it). He tilled his garden, then put two giant blue tarps over this entire garden for the entire summer (At first, I thought this guy was crazy). Then, in the fall, he pulled up the tarp and NO WEEDS. After this, he planted Daikon Radishes, everywhere. I just went a week ago to see that now he has a sea of white radish tops and withered greens. I can't wait to see what it will look like in the spring.

Option 3: Give up and go somewhere where there is not Johnson grass!

Any thoughts?

P.S. I didn't even get into the deer problem there, but I didn't have a fence last year and the deer at all of my tomatoes and chopped off 30 plants to a foot above the ground. I think this year I will have to spend money on a deer fence.

This whole community garden thing has turned into a way have to spend a lot of money (and I don't have a lot to spend) It was fun, though. I do actually enjoy it.

Your help if greatly appreciated and I apologize

If I didn't explain anything in the best detail.

Comments (18)