SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whoopdedeaux

Help a newbie TX gardener plan a rose garden!

whoopdedeaux
15 years ago

I'm hopeless - I've been in my house 6 years and the walls are still white. I'm just as incompetent about planning a new bed for roses. PLEASE GUIDE ME, (and forgive the long post).

I'm in Central TX and have a heavily shaded (oaks and cedar elm) 1/2 acre backyard. I chase the fleeting sunlight at the very back and have lovely young roses along the fenceline - Climbing Pinkie and a gorgeous MAC share a cedar arbor, a Perle d'Or graces a morning sun spot near the pond, a ZD is growing but not blooming after I moved her into more sunlight at the far end of the fenceline, Red Fairy outlines the sunny vegetable garden, and a young Mrs. Dudley Cross will own the only bare patch of good sunny area back there as she grows. There's no more room for sun-loving plants in that area.

We've removing the turf and strip composting, (lasagna gardening), an area 70' long and up to 18' wide to extend the planting bed near the back patio - this will get FULL Texas sun all day for most of the area. There will be a wide pathway through the middle which could accomodate a large arbor. WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE? (I'm no-spray).

I have babies in pots growing out - Gruss an Aachen, Ducher, Louis Phillipe, Fabvier, Climbing Clothilde Soupert, Westerland, and a I-Hope-It-Likes-Me Austin Abraham Darby. I can add more of any of these or add any other varieties, but I need the help of sane and decisive gardeners! Any and all guidance will be GRATEFULLY accepted. Signed, What-Have-I-Done?

Comments (20)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm