SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smalloldhouse_gw

Recommendations for a stackable washer/dryer?

smalloldhouse_gw
8 years ago

I've been digging through the archives but haven't seen this question asked and answered recently, so forgive me for posing what I imagine isn't a very original query.

Our dryer died on Christmas night just as we were getting ready for a trip. It's a 12yo low/mid range Kenmore, and while it might just be a belt, we're thinking this is a wakeup call to get the whole shebang replaced. We live in a small, old house (hence the user name) just outside DC and our laundry area is an unfinished utility room just off our galley kitchen.

In the next few years that location may change; we've got to redo 2 bathrooms, one of which is disproportionately large and could house a laundry closet. Or I may finally persuade my husband to do an addition of a master bedroom and bath that could include the laundry machines. Whatever happens, our space constraints will remain relatively tight. So stackable seems like the way to go.

(If I'm wrong there - if there are people who hate stackables - please tell me. I realize that there's a lot of hate for front loading washers, but given how many they make, somebody must like them, right?)

Fwiw I'm middle aged and fairly basic on technology. I almost always use the same setting for whatever I'm washing or drying. I don't need a billion different settings or cycles or any special stuff. I have looked at the Speed Queen options given how many fans they have, but I'm not sold on their stackable unit.

I do research for a living and spent an embarassingly long time on GW planning our small kitchen reno. I picked all the appliances based on input from here and so far they are all winners (KA CD fridge; GE Cafe dual oven range; Bosch dw.) My husband wants me to go out TODAY and buy a new washer/dryer, I'm holding him off for at least a day or two, but I am going to have to get smart fast.

So I'm looking for any basic advice for a total newbie. Thanks for any input!!

Comments (19)