SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelli9579

Fireplace surround

kelli9579
8 years ago

Looking for thoughts/suggestions for a fireplace surround. I really like the look of the herringbone design with the trim going all the way up to the ceiling, but worry that it's not a classic look as this will be our forever home. Or do I go with a classic brick similar to what is used on the outside of our home with white trim going up to the ceiling? Our home is an open concept space with a vaulted ceiling in the family room. The kitchen will have white shaker cabinets and a white subway tile backsplash. I am going to have the subway tiles layed in a herringbone design behind the stove. There will be dark hardwood floors throughout. The walls will be painted with Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray. Please see attached photos. Thoughts/suggestions/pics please? Thanks so much!

Comments (48)

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Inspiration photo

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Exterior brick

• Related Discussions

Fireplace surround with no fireplace?? pics?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'll take a couple of photo's of electric tomorrow for ya'll. I have two of them as well as two propane and two real. I seem to like two's :) Oh and two wood LOL Ok so I have a couple of fireplaces. I don't like the electric. They look fake. I'd like to remove both of mine but one is sort of built in so I'll have to wait (it's in a guest room) and the other in our family room is an old one that is half way decent, and puts out a bit of heat and we can't replace it with a propane because of the chimney height (if it's over 30' they can't do it unfortunately). The coolest electric I ever saw was in a house built in 1914 that was done with special light bulbs. It was so so so cool...obviously fake but in such a vintage way it was worth having. I wish I could find one of them...way fabulous :) Anyhoo, I'll take a couple of shots for ya'll with the cell phone tomorrow and see how you like a couple of electrics...and then fly down and take mine LOL
    ...See More

Medium to dark wood fireplace fireplace surround/built-ins?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'd suggest looking at houzz.com. You'll find lots of inspirational photos there...search on built ins in living rooms.
    ...See More

Inspiration needed! Fireplace surround

Q

Comments (11)
    Any reason why you would not want a glass door. Glass doors are specifically made for wood burning. Main reason being that when you burn a fire you normally leave the damper open all night as the fire dies out. With glass doors, you can close them when the fire is dying out and leave the damper open, so you don't get all that cold air coming into the home at night. Glass doors will normally have mesh curtains or backup wire mesh doors behind the glass so you can burn the fire with the doors open. Some glass doors can also be burned with the doors closed. Not that other types of screens might be appropriate, I am more curious why you think glass doors would not be good for wood burning.
    ...See More

ceramic tile fireplace surround for zero clearance fireplace?

Q

Comments (19)
    Omg I LOVE Rookwood tiles! Yours are just gorgeous. Yeah, situation with the contractor is bizarre! Rookwood is fabulous. I spoke with their designers and they were able to design the layout fo the tiles for me based on my budget and what I was wanting with the roses and leaves. It's not bizarre. it's either that he hasn't a clue how to lay tile or more likely doesn't want to spend the money on a talented tile installer. My tile installation if I recall took a full day just for the tiles. Then grouting took another bit of time.
    ...See More
  • Katie S.
    8 years ago

I agree with you. The tile is gorgeous (and I normally don't like tile fireplace surrounds), and the brick is more classic. I would do the brick, for the exact reason you stated. Use the tile somewhere else. Beautiful home.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much, cas81611!

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also, forgot to mention that it will be a real wood burning fireplace.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• zorroslw1
    8 years ago

Bricks, you can't go wrong with brick. You won't grow tired of it and very classic/traditional.

• jaimeeap
    8 years ago

I agree with the others...brick.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone!

• Lizzie
    8 years ago

Actually, I'd go with the marble tile, but not in a herringbone pattern. Although I love it, herringbone is pretty trendy right now. I'd try a more classic marble design. The look is lovely.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Something like this, maybe...thoughts?

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Lizzie! I also love the look of the herringbone, but it is very trendy and I'm afraid it will go out of style. I also love the look of the marble with the white trim.

• nanj
    8 years ago

Here is a link about what Maria Killam has to say about fireplace surrounds. She calls most brick/stone fireplace surrounds "bossy", meaning they have so much personality that it will always dictate the rest of the room's decorating.

How to choose the color for a fireplace surround.

Relate fireplace surround to kitchen.

Pretty house!

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

I agree with nanj and Maria Killam. A red brick fireplace is going to be the boss in the room. Red brick looks great outside, but can be challenging to match inside. I would want to go with the marble or something less bossy than red brick. I agree the herringbone could be a bit trendy for the classic long term look.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much, nanj and ontariomom. I never would have thought of that idea of the brick being the "boss". I'm so glad I posted on here!

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I want to keep the room light and airy. I love the colors gray and white. I have dark leather couches that I will be using in the room that I hope to be able to lighten up with accent pillows, etc. So I guess I would want the fireplace surround to be something light in color? Love all of the thoughts, please keep them coming!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Brick doesn't have to be red. There are some wonderful softer shades of brick that will work very well with gray and white.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, cpartist. Do you have any suggestions of certain brands or colors of brick? I know when we were choosing one for the exterior of our house it was very overwhelming. I couldn't believe there were so many choices.

• Iowacommute
    8 years ago

Herringbone is a classic pattern so if you like it use it. If you're afraid of something going out of style try to make it blend in with other elements like similar shades of color. At some point you have to stop worrying about trendiness and do it.

kelli9579 thanked Iowacommute
  • kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very true, Iowacommute!

• nini804
    8 years ago

I adore marble, and my surround is marble...but I wouldn't use it with a wood burning fireplace. Wayyyy too messy for white marble. I would use maybe a softer colored brick or slate. Here is mine...we had originally intended for the FP to be wood burning with a gas starter, but when I saw the marble I decided gas logs were the way to go! Our outside fireplace (wood burning) is white brick and it is impossible to keep pristine.

I do love that herringbone tile, though! Personally I would use it and do gas, but I've always been a form over function gal! ;) Here is my marble...my trim looks similar to your 1st inspiration pic. (This was taken right after we moved in...room was not complete! Looks very different now!)

• Callie Ward
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Our's is a tray ceiling and we don't have it extended up to it, but I've attached a few pics of ours. We have dark floors and used Repose Gray from Sherwin Williams, which isn't far off from Aggreeable Gray. Sorry the lighting is bad. They look stretched out, click on the picture and they look normal.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

I agree that anything that's trendy right now -- like herringbone and marble -- is going to look dated in time, and your fireplace isn't something that's easy to change. Go classic with your fireplace and bring in trends in your draperies and throw pillows.

I vote for either brick or stone for your fireplace. Remember you can paint brick white, which would make it "quieter" ... or you can go with a tan or brown brick instead of a more common red. I think the nicest picture on this thread is Kelli's picture of the neutral-colored stone and the arched fire box; that's not a look that's going to go out of style (think about how we all like Cotswold cottages). I'm planning something much like that stone for my new house.

I don't think red brick is always "bossy", though that is a great descriptor. I have red brick on my large fireplace (and red brick outside my house too) ... but then, I'm definitely a "red person" ... and in the room I have burgundy with a bit of green Waverly drapes, barely-khaki green carpet, and two brown leather sofas. Rather than fighting with anything else I chose, rather than making me choose certain things, my red brick plays right into my wheelhouse. I can see that if I had wanted a blue or purple living room, the red would've been a real negative.

• maven19
    8 years ago

My style is very similar to yours and we are going with a white stone fireplace, something like this:

natural stone fireplace with tv · More Info

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

I've some photos of historic homes that had the brick inside the fireplace box laid out in a fireplace box in herringbone. Most people don't get creative with the way brick is laid out on brick fireplace but people can get quite creative with how they would lay out brick on a brick fireplace. Just Google historic brick fireplace and you'll see some brick fireplaces that blow your mind regarding what people can do with brick.

I do really like the photo you posted but I would get some samples and experiment with what happens when you get soot and smoke on them if you plan to have an open wood burning fireplace. It would stink to spend a lot of money on such lovely tile only to find that it eventually gets permanently discolored.

kelli9579 thanked tcufrog
  • kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm leaning towards the brick...but not "red, red" brick because of function. Since its going to be used frequently I'm afraid of ruining the tile with ashes and soot. But is brick still in style? Why do I keep seeing people painting over their brick to cover it up? Thanks

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

I think it's because there are so many badly designed builder grade brick fireplaces done with cheap brick with chintzy mantles. A well designed brick fireplace with the right mantle can stand the test of time.

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

I think many people paint over their brick when the brick is in an obvious colour as opposed to a neutral colour. So many tans, are a bit pinky beige and that clashes with other beiges (Maria Killam writes a great deal about this topic on her blog if you are interested in the trouble with tans/pinky beige) . Brown is not light and airy as you requested (and brown trend is over anyway). I think a brick in a few shades of grey might be nice (not a uniform grey). That should hide the soot better than white tile. I agree with the poster above that marble is not a good combo with a wood burning fireplace. So, I have changed my mind on voting for marble (which is gorgeous for a gas fireplace). Brick does seem to go well with a wood burning fireplace.

Do you like the new grey trend in decorating. Grey brick should be available.

Carol

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, tcufrog and Carol! Yes, Carol I love the white and gray colors. I'll have to look around for a grayish colored brick. Callie, beautiful fireplace...thank you for the picture! Do you remember the name of the stone that you used? I'm all over the place with what I would like, ha. I need to get my act together. At this point I'm thinking the marble tile is out because of function.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

tcufrog, look at this fireplace

• tcufrog
    8 years ago

@kelli9579

I love it. It has classic lines but the herringbone adds interest and the slightly whitewashed look keeps it from looking dated. The built-in to the left makes it look more finished and upscale than what you'd see in a tract home.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Do you think I could do herringbone just around the fireplace door? Instead of going all the way up to the ceiling with it?

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Trying to pinch pennies, lol.

• mrspete
    8 years ago

But is brick still in style? Why do I keep seeing people painting over their brick to cover it up? Thanks

No, brick isn't a style or a trend -- it's a standard, a classic. Right now tile fireplaces are trendy, but trends pass. White everywhere is also a trend, and it's a trend that doesn't necessarily mesh well with red-red brick.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, Mrs. Pete That's what I think I should go with, "a classic".

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

This is a sample that we are doing for our fireplace. The photo makes the lighter grey look more purple than it is in real life (I see no purple in real life). It is actually stone. I also love the grey trend. I liked it 20 years ago, when everyone was doing brown and beige, so I know I will not tire of grey even when a different neutral comes back in style.

A simpler grey brick would also be wonderful. I believe in our area, grey brick tends to be a concrete brick as opposed to a clay brick.

Carol

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Carol, I love that stone! Thanks for sharing! Do you know the brand and/or name of that stone? Thanks!

• nini804
    8 years ago

I think using brick in a herringbone pattern around your firebox would be lovely! You don't have a lot of room on each side of the firebox so get the very smallest size of brick you can find so enough of the pattern shows.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Love that idea! Thank you, nini804!

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

Not sure about the availability in your area as we are in Canada. The picture of the stone I posted above was a combination of two colours. It is made by Brampton Brick. The images below shows a close up with the name of the two colours (vivace charcoal being one, and vivace cortona being the lighter grey one). You can see in the close up that purple undertones are not present (not sure why the combo picture has them). I put in a few more photos I had of the stone (some showing the couch, chair and curtain fabrics). However, for your application, I still like the idea of grey brick too, You will have to see what kinds of grey brick you can get in your area.

Carol

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very pretty, Carol! Thank you so much for taking the time to share! I have a lot of great choices to pick from now, thank you everyone!

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

I'll be the voice of dissent here. After living many years in a house with a classic red brick fireplace, both the brick and the grout showed obvious staining from soot that could not be removed (trust me, I tried). For me the only finish building material I would now use around a fireplace is something easy to maintain, like polished granite tiles with minimal grout lines.

• cpartist
    8 years ago

But kudzu9, granite around a fireplace is so not trendy! (said tongue in cheek)

And the reason I said it tongue in cheek is because as stated over and over, DO WHAT YOU LOVE! If you love brick in a herringbone pattern, do that. If you love granite tile, do that. If you want river washed stones, do that.

The only thing that you should not do is doing something because it's trendy.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's what I finally decided on. Still needs some trim pieces, but here's the idea.

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• ontariomom
    8 years ago

That looks great, kelli! I gather that is tile you used for the surround? Is it marble or porcelain? What did you use for the hearth? Are you going to finish the box of the hearth in trim?

Carol

• kelli9579
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much, Carol! I was down to the wire and had to make a decision fast. My builder wanted to get started on it and I had waited too long to order "special order" tile. I actually found one at lowes that I liked but was a little nervous about what the end result would look like. We used a piece of blue stone for the hearth. And yes, the box will be finished with trim as well as a couple of trim pieces added to the sides...to outline the tile. Here's the tile from Lowes.