SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

Happily cataloging my roses

It has been three years, perhaps more, since I did this. I used to have an Excel spreadsheet with all my roses, with fields for class, where I got them from, and notes. Well, we got a new computer and it didn't come with Excel. I was too cheap to buy it, particularly because I was under the impression that now you have to pay for it annually (I don't know if this is true), and so the rose list languished, though the rose collection did not. Varieties died; others got added; others were found to be different kinds than I had thought, and so on. I made vain efforts to update the rose list manually, but with something like 300 varieties it was too hard to keep up with them.

Finally I took the advice of a neighbor and downloaded a free software suite, LibreOffice (not pirated, by the way: it's legitimate), and it is dreamy. After three years of WordPad, which is just about good enough to write a letter with, I am so happy! It was actually not being able to add page breaks on WordPad that finally pushed me into downloading the software, and now I'm flying like an eagle. Normally I don't get this happy about software, but I there was too much I wanted to do, and couldn't, and it was frustrating. I was able to write a letter to a friend and insert numerous photos (of the garden, of course); and now I'm working on the catalog. It's a text document, not a spreadsheet, as I had before, as I had suffered from the lack of room for text. And it has page breaks. It's up to about fourteen pages at the moment, with a long way to go.

I'm really enjoying myself. Finally I'm putting my records in order, listing varieties and where they're located and what their histories with me are. It's an opportunity to think about classification--I have an orderly mind!--weighing the characteristics of my plants. I'm not, for now, putting in descriptions of the roses unless it's relevant to the identification or classification of the rose: perhaps later on. I love my roses for their blooms, of course, but I find it more interesting to consider their habit, canes, foliage, hips, and so on. Writing in general for me is a tool to help me think.

Comments (20)