SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clovely

Badly needed kitchen update - Issues

Cynthia L
8 years ago

I need to update this kitchen. My dad gave me $ for Christmas to force my procrastinating hand. Great of him, yes. But now I'm completely stressed out. Here's what I'm starting with...

Seems straightforward enough - new countertops, paint the cabinets. I may be overthinking it but I have sticking points...

1. White appliances stay. I just bought the fridge and he didn't give me THAT much money. (I debated stainless I just think I prefer white, may have made a mistake not starting the switch over with the fridge, I don't know.)

2. My main gripe is that, since we put in the dark bamboo floors throughout the house (in place of white tile), my whole house seems so BROWN. I want to totally get rid of the browns, gold, tans every where. But this view of the kitchen in essentially what you see from the family room and living room - it's a very open floorplan (good and bad). I'd love to swtich it ALL to grays. That would involve a lot of painting + all new living room AND family room furniture. I could do that over time I suppose. But see why I'm overwhelmed?

3. I'm afraid of dark countertops because you can see straight to the kitchen bar from the front door - dark, I fear would be very awkward. I'd love but can't afford marble - and I know I'd regret it pretty quick (I juice beets every morning, lol).

What would you do with these cabinets, countertops, backsplash, and surrounding walls?

Comments (78)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio