SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Trouble already?

8 years ago

I am appalled. I just bought a house back in october,but I haven't moved in yet,although I have moved some furniture and non essential to daily living things in already. I wanted to have part of the land fenced for my doggies and a shed built before I moved completely. My SO went to drop some things off and noticed that there was red mud all over our driveway and on the carport, even on the steps leading up into the house. He checked the game camera we put up and their were 4 men lurking around. They were poking around the carport, trying to look in the windows (I have blinds and curtains on all of them) and in one shot they are loading a four wheeler onto a truck.(I don't have one,so I assume it was theirs) I know the people who own the land behind us very casually..I don't know even how to contact them. But i do know that they do not allow four wheeling,hunting,or ANYTHING on their property. Not even family. They wouldn't even let the power company on their land to fix their power unless they could follow them the whole time. This has really shaken me. To get to my house, you have to make a weird turn and go up a hill, so how did they know it was there and unoccupied? If they were there to go four wheeling on yet another piece of property that does not belong to them, why are they poking around in my carport? I moved out to the country because I thought it would be safer, not to be overrun with trespassing bumpkins. I guess I'm also a little uneasy as I live in the deep south. My SO and I are an interracial couple,and for all the progress this country and the south has made, we have gotten more than our fair share of side glances and outright dirty looks out there. I have never seen so many blatantly hateful tattoos on people in my life. Hanging man on someones calf, noose on a womens arm with the phrase"hangin with the homies" and of course confederate flags everywhere. (Please don't rag on me about that, I don't believe that heritage not hate crap. I have lived here my whole life and am well aware that hate is deeply ingrained in the history and "heritage" of the south, so don't start. If you are wearing or flying that flag, you may not be racist or hateful in any way, but that's the way the rest of the world sees you. I don't think that it's a coincidence that noose girl and hanging man on the calf boy both had confederate flags on their pickup trucks) Anyway, I guess I'll have to move ahead of schedule, and make sure my guns are cleaned. My sister lives nearby,.and many other lovely people,I should add. Most of the people we have encountered have been very nice and welcoming. But there is always that one group isn't there? And this group out there seems bigger than most I have encountered,even here in the south. She thinks that they'll stop once they know someone lives there,but I'm not so sure. I have enough stuff outside to make it obvious that someone lives there. I can only hopey sister is right, and that I won't have any problems. I would hate to hurt someone,but would not hesitate if they ask for it. I hope everyone here has a safe and happy holiday!!!

Comments (62)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida