SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebodymom

adopting a dog with hip dysplasia

homebodymom
13 years ago

My family is actively looking to add another dog to our home. I had to put down my 12 yr old lab this past May. Although we all miss him dearly, it has been hardest on my 3yr old Lab Riley. He is spending way too much time sleeping for a 3 year old dog. I take him for walks, and throw the ball endlessly, but he truly misses a dog friend.

My vet does a lot of dog rescue and has a dog she would like me to adopt. He is @18months old, and he and Riley got along great when they met lst week. He ( they are calling him Little Man) and his mom were turned into a local shelter together. When their time ran out, my vet went and got them. Little Man, and his mom both have hip dysplasia - confirmed by xray. If he is showing signs of trouble already at this young age, what can I expect for his future? I already know he is a good match for my dog Riley, but I want to make sure I am Little Man's best choice for an owner. Do these dogs always need surgery? Long term medications? He is a total sweetheart and I am very torn about this. Thanks for any insight/advice you can offer. I want to make sure I can care for him properly before we bring him home.

Comments (7)