SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hojo9098

Hip Dysplasia in 8 mth old dog

HoJo9098
13 years ago

My German Shepherd was diagnosed with moderate to severe hip dysplasia. He is on Rimadyl everyday and I'm giving him glucosamine everyday and he sleeps on a orthopedic bed (which he LOVES). The vet says we can't do anything more until he is full grown. He estimates him to be between 80-90 lbs he is 65 now. He says he will definitely need a full hip replacement - it's not a matter of if he will need it - it's a matter of when. (vets words)

He already seems like he is in so much pain even with the meds. If he gets any exercise small walk or play in yard for a few minutes - he is exhausted and sleeps for hours non stop then cries and has difficulty getting up. He only eats when he really has too which is every other day. When we want to play with him he prefers to do it laying down. (even with other dogs)

I guess my question is - is this fair to him? When he was first diagnosed a week ago I thought he was fine and just going through growing pains but I have really been starting to look at him differently now and wondering is it fair to have him feeling so uncomfortable. When it's time for surgery I don't think we would be able to afford it. (it would be both hips) and how bad would he be then. I just don't know what to think anymore - I'm just shocked that this poor guy has pain at such a young age.

Comments (10)