SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

First mango pannicles of the 2016 season !!!

I now have only six ( 6 ) trees and for the last few years have been keenly interested in which tree and when the first gorgeous ( IMHO ) pannicles will appear. ( smile ) It was just an hour ago that I noticed the first ones, only on one tree. They are now about 1/2 " - 3/4 " long, so assume they probably first appeared yesterday, Dec 21st. Have seen them appear earlier in past years, but am curious if there are any mango maniacs like me out there who can guess which was the tree blossomed first ? OK, oldest first :
Kent ( 7 yrs )
Valencia Pride ( 7 yrs )
Glenn ( 7 yrs )
Pickering ( 4 yrs )
Tebow ( 3 yrs )
Carrie ( 3 yrs )
Good luck, will reveal the tree whenever some mango fan correctly names the tree. By the way, it was this same tree that blossomed first last year as well. Good luck !

Comments (61)

• 8 years ago

Sorry about your Pickering puglvr1. I do agree about fertilizing in the early fall. Have done some research and after the harvest seems to be the way to go. Last Sept I applied to each tree a medium/light application of 10 - 10 - 10 fertilizer pellets, then covered them over with a 3, 4 inch layer of organic compost that I grow myself from kitchen scraps, etc. Living alone, that takes awhile but I usually have just enough to barely cover all the trees,..keeping a foot away from the trunk of course. Am debating now whether to bother with a couple of fungus sprays, will probably do them tho, ( will need to get a move on )

Usually have 6 trees but have decided to cut down my huge 30 ft tall Valencia Pride this Sept 'cause it's blocking 20 % of the sunlight from my bananas behind it. Had no ide that tree grew so fast. Didn't cut it down sooner 'cause the prospect of one more haul from the VP was too tempting,..the largest mangoes I have ever seen ( or eaten, YUM ! )

As for the 0 - 0- 50 stuff, I completely forgot about it this year, my bad ! ( smile )

• Related Discussions

Did your Mango Re-Bloom after the freeze?

Q

Comments (13)
    My potted Glenn Mango lost all the blooms from Dec...and re-bloomed a few weeks ago. The tree is 2 1/2 years old. My Keitt and Cogshall had a LOT of damage and rebloomed...but only two flower spikes,a tropical fruit tree nursery in Miami told me that usually when a tree re-blooms this late in the season, the chances are less that they will develop. I guess I'll see if that is true with mine? My Cogshall after the freeze...tree is two years old My Cogshall taken last week...the blooms is already dying though :o( My Potted Glenn taken yesterday. My in ground Glenn that was severely damaged barely made it...this one is just barely getting some new growth. I thought this was a goner! This is what it looks like now...its alive...sort off! Enduser, where and what is the name of the fertilizer that has NPK 2-10-10? Where can I buy it? thanks...
    ...See More

First mango fruit panicles of the season !!!

Q

Comments (20)
    Just returned from a must-do small shopping trip to Wally's. Haven't been in there for 6 days, purposely avoiding the almost door busting last minute hordes. Anyway, I sucked it up and barged in, - got what I wanted but with puglvr1 in mind I quickly detoured to the Christmas tree light sets area. A hedtic scene is all I can say. Must have been 50 or so shoppers gathered there, milling around the 20' long triple shelves, , putting boxes of both clear and multi colored old-fashioned, heat-emitting sets of both C7 and C9 bulbs in their carts. Every shelf had a big white sign with black ketters " 50 % OFF ! " One lady had two sets in her hands and asked a salesgal if she could have 55 % off if she bought two sets. Sales person had to call over a manager, " Yeah, that's OK ! ", was his reply. Immediately I saw two other shoppers pick up two sets. They, as we all know, are great for protecting young mango trees on those cold nights we are sure to get,..and soon. Hope puglvr1 got her's as I'm sure the same scene was repeated in Home Depot and Lowes! ( smile )
    ...See More

fertilizer and flowering mango trees

Q

Comments (40)
    All herbicides, insecticides and other chemicals, etc., have to by law have a Safety Data Sheet provided by the manufacturer. You can search these on the internet and find out about approved usage, warnings and other information of any of these products. Just put the trade name of the product and Safety Data Sheet (sometimes called Material Safety Data Sheet) into a search engine and you'll be able to download it usually as a PDF file. When you buy the produce there should also be a print copy of the Safety Data Sheet attached to it. I've noticed the different shades of colour in Mango flowers but never really thought about why.
    ...See More

a tale of two mango trees

Q

Comments (22)
    The Maha in the Ground now for 4 days ! It stands a full six foot tall ! I am 6' 2" tall and it comes to the middle of my forehead. So different from the first Maha I purchased, which was both reasonably tall and also wide,..a vigorous looking tough guy ! This one, even tho it's taller is much skinnier, but I have a feeling it will fill out rapidly. Hard to see but it already has five ( 5 ) lateral limbs coming off the main trunk , all angling upwards. It was the choice of the litter that Fruitscapes had that day. Again, feel confident it'll be a choice tree,..in time maybe it's fruits will even be the size of my Vallencia Pride's, which had it's first huge harvest late last July. Talk about big fruits ! And tasty ? Words cannot describe the experience,..Hemingway could I'm sure, but not me, lol, This is it,..no more trees,..now will just be pampering all seven of them, should enough to keep me busy ! ( smile )
    ...See More
  • 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice puglvr1, I know I really should have fertilized last late summer/early fall, and that this late is not ideal, but the tree had a heavy load last year and my fear is that if I don't feed it at all before blooming time it will skip this year. Our soil is pretty bad, and its sort of perpetually mildly chlorotic due to all our limestone, not to mention my parents don't take care of it at all and I wasn't living at home year before last and it skipped blooming that year, I assume due to lack of nutrition. I fertilized it pretty heavy in the fall of 2014, and it set a good load the following spring so I'm thinking I should at least put down some fert not necessarily to stimulate leaf flushing but so it can restore the reserves it depleted. I have a granular fert that has higher K than N so I'll use that one thanks. And I just ordered some Chelated Iron EDDHA which is supposed to remain plant available in alkaline soils up to and above pH 8 so hoping that fixes the chlorosis. Again thanks for the advice.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
  • 8 years ago

I've got a mature mango that produced hundreds of mangos last year. Not a single pannicle on it now. I'm getting worried! LOL Is this the time for pannicles? I've never taken notice before.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked Halfway There
  • 8 years ago

I guess it depends on location and the type of tree; we drove around a bit today and I didn't see any panicles on any one else's mango trees.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes, in Florida winter is usually when the blooms/pannicles appear. I think its the cooler normally drier weather that pushes it along. My theory is since its been so hot and much wetter than normal fall and winter its delayed. I'm still hoping they will appear in the next several weeks. Hopefully some of this cooler weather we'll have in the next 2 months will help...but the rain may cause fewer fruit set due to fungus?

I've had blooms/flowers start to appear as early as mid-late December to mid January. I have to admit its the latest I've seen since I've been growing mango (since 2007)...Fingers crossed we all get some mangoes this season !

Here's a picture from 1/12/2009...unfortunately I think that was the year we hit record breaking low's in (20+ years) broke all kinds of records. It almost killed my tree :o( ...luckily it survived and is now going on 9 years this spring.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked puglvr1
  • 8 years ago

I know they appear in winter, I live 60 miles east of West Palm Beach although not technically in the US (lol) so my climate is similar to alot of Florida without the risk of the freak freezes you get every now and then. It's just that mangoes here have never flowered in December as far as I can remember, moreso like later in January or February. I'm not sure what causes you to be slightly ahead of us, but if you're so far behind then we may be even further behind that since we're usually later. I'm glad your tree survived! We have issues with anthracnose when it's too humid too, although I suppose if I wasn't lazy I could spray for that. The trees seem to set fruit okay still though.

• 8 years ago

Great info all, I was searching Florida Garden web to get info on mango blooms because both my trees are void of any blooms. I live in Nassau and notice South Florida blooming seasons are pretty close to ours. By the way one of the trees is a Nam Doc variety and the other Kent.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked bradisha
  • 8 years ago

Jofus, after you started the this thread I kept looking at my 2 mango trees. I am in Central Florida and yesterday one of them look like these.

Silvia

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked whgille
  • 8 years ago

Top Tropicals, a nursery in Buckingham-a rural township just east of Fort Myers-must have twenty or thirty mango varieties on hand. Just offering that up if any of you mango growers need to look at new plants ever. They've got them!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked wisconsitom
  • 8 years ago

Good pic Sylvia, looking close I think I detect some pannicles ( future mango's ) and some new growth. The same as on all my trees where the new growth is 20 x the pannicles, , especially the Glenn. This all tells me my mango harvest this year will be minimal at best, but the trees will grow like hell !!! (smile )

Right now I have a strange situation going on. My Glenn, Pickering, Tebow and Carrie are all full of both the above. However my Kent and Vallencia Pride ( largest tree - must be 22 - 23 ft tall ) have nothing,..nada, zilch ! Am not surprised by the Kent which I did an aggressive pruning on last fall, but the VP ? Am slightly shocked.

Not complaining one bit tho,...the long range plan is taking shape. Have been gradually " lightening my load ",..looks like I'll end up with 4 mango trees,..just my speed. Together with the 30 ' x 12 ' banana plantation, + my large butterfly garden,..will not have to worry about looking for ways to exercise during the week as my doc recommends ! ( smile )

• 8 years ago

Wow! I wish we could grow mangos up here, but alas, too cold. I do love it when they come into the stores all cheap and luscious. I'm going to buy up a bunch this year and dehydrate them.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked User
  • 8 years ago

Looking good Silvia!! My tree have those "mixed blooms" both new growth and flowers at the same time. I've heard/read this is due to our very warm December then very cold January/Feb...fingers crossed we get some decent crop this year :o)

Jofus, 4 mango trees should be plenty for you...I now have 4 large trees (6+ years old) and a very young Maha plus 2 in pots...I really need to sell my Lancetilla,lol...no room for it!

• 8 years ago

Jofus, I hope that you have a good fruit harvest! and yes, you get plenty of exercise with your plantation, that is for sure.:)

Thank you Nancy! I am looking forward to the mango season. Few years ago I bought the Fairchild variety because I liked the taste when I sampled but last year I got fruit from the tree and it is different and bigger, actually it is one the best that I have ever tasted and I don't know what it is.

Every year that I go to the mango festival, I make note of the varieties that I like the best, when homegrown, stringless and good mango taste, there are so many choices. I have sampled by the hundreds and for sure I could not just pick one as a favorite.

Mango festival 2015 at Fairchild

Some of the varieties that I came home with...

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Hey youse guys, boy was I wrong in my hasty comments above ! I just went out back into my " Mango Plantation " for a closer, more up-to-date look at whats happening back there. To my great surprise ( & joy ), those " new growths " have exploded and now it's clearly evident that what's going on,..IS A 2ND HUGE EMERGENCE OF NEW PANNICLES !!! This is a first for me. This upcoming mango harvest now looks like it'll be a record breaker,..even with only four of the six trees producing !! I swear, the 18 ft tall Glenn looks like it'll explode !

Feel like singing,..what's that old early '30's song that announced FDR's winning for first time ?

" Happy days are here again,

the sky above is clear again...

so let's sing a song of cheer again.."

Will try to add a couple of 5 min old pics.

• 8 years ago

Every branch tip has a pannicle,..could not find one without one ! The other three trees are the same. Yikes, now glad I only have 4 producing,..otherwise would have to hire some help at harvest time in June/July. What a sight ! ( smile )

• 8 years ago

Sylvia, great pics ! My favorite tasting mango is still the Kent. However, that's the one tree I heavily pruned so no harvest this year from it.

Where is that Fairchild festival located ? Must go there sometime.

• 8 years ago

Thank you Jofus, and for sure you are a happy gardener.:) getting rewards with the harvest it is good, finally your efforts are being paid of. But knowing that you love mangoes you will be overjoyed at the mango festival, where you can sample to your hearts content, and it is in July at the Fairchild Gardens in South Florida. If you go, I will see you there, I am always one of the first in line at the gate and one of the first to pick the boxes with tons of varieties.

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Wow Sylvia, looks like quite a place. I googled it and see it's in Coral Gables, and comprises 83 acres with multiple lakes. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive for me but hell, need to get out of here once in awhile, so I'll be there, - on opening day if possible. May drift down to Homestead while there and see what's up at my favorite nursery when I lived in Islamorada, - Ray's Nursery. Thanks for the tip !

• 8 years ago

Jofus, it is a great place to be for gardeners and especially for us mango aficionados.:) Every year they displayed mangoes from different countries as a theme but for buying you can get whatever you like, I let them pick 1 or 2 of the best varieties, some of them ready to eat, some others not yet so they can last me for awhile...

You only live once, you should treat yourself right and make the trip, there you are going to find a lot of food made from the fruit, some people go to the mango clinic with problems on the growing, some have leaves and fruit for the experts to recommend treatment.

It is about the same distance for us to go, we hit Coral Gables Friday night, Saturday we go to the festival.

Homestead has also a good place to go Robert is Here, they have a lot of fruit for sale and the mango shakes are made from Kent mangoes, that you said is your favorite and I agree on the great flavor.

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Just have to relate what occurred here yesterday afternoon. At 12:15 PM was peacefully reading a book while listening to the increasingly heavy winds/rain outside. Suddenly my cell ph goes berserk in my pocket, open it, see flashing alerts of a violent storm coming my way,..like in 5, 6 minutes ! I turn on the TV and see the NBC weather people excitedly showing a tornado headed right at me !! " Anyone in Englewood needs to take cover NOW,..don't go into a car, it'll be tossed in the air. If in a mobile home ( like me ), get out immediately and seek a stable structure as mobile homes will be destroyed, roofs torn off, etc ! "

I am shocked but have no " stable structure " to go to, so stayed put. The winds got worse but my home stood steady. Then looked out rear window which gives me a view thru my 70 ' long backyard looking west,..which is the direction the storm/tornado was coming from as it makes land coming in from the Gulf. As the tornado comes over the small fence at the rear it was smashing directly into the mobile homes to my left & right. They all had clear backyards, just a lawn betw their homes & their rear fences. I however, being a " mango afficianado ", had 6 big mango trees to diffuse the swirling 75 + mph gusts before they reached my fragile home. The 24 ' tall Valencia Pride & 20 ' tall Glenn were shaking the most, but they and the rest were strong and stood their ground. Homes to my left & right were getting whacked big time, one had its metal carport roof ripped off, but mine suffered no damage at all,..nada !

Found out last night we had two ( 2 ) tornados fly thru this part of SW Florida yesterday,..making it seven ( 7 ) tornados since Jan 12th !!! Unbelievable !

I lost all three Papaya trees in one but they are like weeds compared to the tough mango trees.

Am standing in some tall cotton this morning,..so glad I decided to become a mango farmer. An unexpected and rare benefit, but one I appreciate mucho ! ( smile )

• 8 years ago

Jofus, I am glad that you are okay! consider yourself very lucky and the mango tree were protecting you for sure.

We had some big winds and rain but nothing like at your place, it is nice and sunny today for a change.

I had the same problem with the papaya trees, that is one of the reasons that I don't plant them anymore.

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Git my first pannicles in the last 2 weeks here in S Fla. Jofus, so glad you're OK!

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked Halfway There
  • 8 years ago

Halfway, that's what I've experienced here also. Only difference is I had an initial minimal bloom of pannicles in late Dec. Then it stopped, most likely due to all the weird weather we've had this winter. I was all set for a very small harvest, then about 3 weeks ago noticed what I thought was a surge of new growth. Not expecting much, I ignored the trees for awhile, then what I casually assumed was new growth exploded into huge new pannicles just recently. My 4 producing trees now have a huge amount of new pannicles, and a small amount of old pannicles,...interesting ! ( smile )

• 8 years ago

The vast majority of trees I've seen here on Grand Bahama so far only have blooms at the very top of their canopy, and even then only if they're large or tall trees. Not sure why, hopefully the rest of the branches are just delayed.

• 8 years ago

Wow Jofus...I just read this! Glad you are okay and the mango trees made it as well...Hope we don't see another one of these storms again!!

• 8 years ago

Does anyone spray fungicide on your trees? I was listening to a Florida Gardening Show over the weekend and that is what they recommend for Mango's.

Jane

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked jane__ny
  • 8 years ago

BahamaDan - A new one for me. Unfortunately I am only familiar with what mango trees do in South Florida. Short of doing the usual ; fertilizing a bit, adding some organic mulch in the fall, & two anthracnose sprays 2 weeks apart, around this time of year, - I am stumped. Keep us informed.

Nancy - Thanks, the violent wind & rain storms hereabouts have been mind-boggling. Hope they're gone for good,..my 1st 11 years here I occasionally experienced hi winds to maybe 25 - 35 mph MAX. Since Jan 12th have had nine ( 9 ) horrendous tornadoes fly thru this area. ENOUGH ALREADY ! Will take a snowstorm any day ! ( smile )

Jane - Not sure about others but I certainly do spray the Liquid Copper Fungicide on my mango trees,..do two sprays a year, - two weeks apart. In fact I just did my first spray only 5 days ago ! This is the time of year to do that, right after the pannicles appear and before the mango's get too big ( golf ball size ). Yesterday saw my first actual mango's,..really babies, a bit smaller than a marble,..these are only emanating from my older pannicles that bloomed in late Dec. The new pannicles, no baby mango's yet, they are still in their first tri-mester ! ( smile )

You asked at the right time, - make sure you wear a hanky like a bank robber, so you don't inhale, gloves and goggles also, and most of all, spray the underside of the leaves as well as the top. Good luck.

• 8 years ago

3/2/16 ; My 20 ft tall Glenn Mango tree going banan,...er, mango's ! ( smile )

• 8 years ago

NICE Jofus...looks like a bountiful year!! Its a sight to see :o)

• 8 years ago

Thanks Nancy, so how many fruit trees do you have now ? How have they progressed in the last 2 months ? Gonna be a bonanza mango year for you as well ?

• 8 years ago

Hi Jofus, I now have 4 large mango trees (6+ years old) 2 are Cogshall, 1 Keitt and 1 Glenn and a very young Maha Chanook. Plus 2 in pots. The potted Glenn I only get about a dozen fruits. The Lancetilla I have yet to get a single fruit from...I also have 2 tangerine trees (fruits were awful this year, very dry) but one is only a year or so old. And a very productive Meyer lemon... Though Citrus greening will probably get the the two tangerines eventually :o(. I have one very nice Lychee tree that is blooming its 5 years old.

My Mango trees are about 2-3 weeks behind your Glenn...I'll post pictures when they the blooms get done opening...

• 8 years ago

Jofus, I see a very nice harvest coming from your trees, lucky you!

Nancy, all the tangerines that I sampled from the area were like that including the ones from the farmers market, citrus greening is taking a toll. I would probably going to replace my Dancy tangerine too.

I found at the market the best tangerine is called sumo and it was bred in Japan, it is so good but expensive.

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Hi Silvia, thanks for your input :o)...I've heard of Sumo tangerine but have yet to try one. I haven't seen or noticed them around. Will have to keep my eye out for some to try,

• 8 years ago

Few pictures of my Mango trees finally in bloom...

Glenn

Cogshall

Another Cogshall

Lychee tree also blooming

• 8 years ago

Wow, great pics Nancy, looks like you'll have a nice harvest also. Am not familiar with a lychee, when do they mature ? They taste as good as a ripe mango ?

• 8 years ago

Beatiful, puglvr. All that pugging really paid off for you.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 8 years ago

Nancy, great looking mango trees! You are going to have a wonderful harvest!.

Jofus, I also have a lychee and to me it does not taste like mango, you can sample fresh when in season, if you have and oriental market by you, if not you can try them in the can at the supermarket in the oriental section,or if you go to the oriental restaurant they sometimes have them on the dessert menu.

Silvia

• 8 years ago

Thanks Jofus and Writersblock :o)

Jofus...LOVE lychees almost as much as mango,lol...but it is a very different flavor/taste. Kinda taste a little like Muscadines, it has grapelike flavors, very tropical tasting...a little like jello consistency. Hard to describe. It also comes in bunches, turns red when ripe.

Last Years's crop...

• 8 years ago

Nancy, fantastic photos, thanks ! Am enthused about hearing of a fruit tasting " almost as good " as a mango. May have to refocus a bit, - have one huge 22 ft mango tree, ( my Valencia Pride ), coming down in Sept,..maybe replace it with a lychee ? It will need to be a smallish tree tho,..at maturity, 15 ft max,..so how tall does a lychee tree grow ?

Thanks for educating a novice. ( smile )

• 8 years ago

Hi Jofus, Lychee trees get get HUGE if left on their own,lol...I'm planning on keeping mine at around 12-14ft if I can...that means pruning every year after Harvest. One of the great traits of a Lychee tree is once it gets established it can take temps in the upper 20's with little damage. I've seen trees do well in my area with minor damage in the mid 20's. The blooms are a lot more susceptible to the cold much like mango but at least the tree normally will survive. Lychee are more cold tolerant than mango...

• 8 years ago

My Baily's Marvel mango is in full bloom this year! Last year was a bust, just three fruit the entire season. My Sweetheart Lychee is also in bloom. This is the first year for it so hoping to sample a few fruits. I planted last year from a 25 gal pot & it's about 6 ft tall now. The Loquat harvest was a bust this year, did real good last year. My neighbor's Loquat has been a heavy producer every year but it too is barren. Funny how year to year things change. My Papaya has been producing all winter.

jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a ) thanked tcgardener Zone 10a SE Florida
  • 8 years ago

I hope its going to be a good mango year...I didn't have a very good one last year either. Some of my trees had hit with Fungus and I didn't spray in time to save the blooms. My Keitt mango didn't bloom last year but is blooming this year.

Good luckTC! I do notice that the Loquats in the neighborhood are not having a good season at all...might be due to a very warm/hot Nov. and Dec.?

• 8 years ago

3/14/16, 10:35 AM : WOW,..OMG, what have I created ? Same Glenn mango tree as in previous pic above. Just did my 2nd, and last, copper fungicide spray 15 min prior to taking his photo. Yikes, this guy has more pannicles than any mango tree I've ever had,..a good omen for the coming season. All 5 mango trees now have had their two fungicide sprays, now only need to hang the apple cider vinegar jugs in early May, then sit back and watch Mother Nature feed me with a ton of juicy mango's.

IMHO, looks like it'll be a good year as I now have all 5 trees with pannicles since the Kent just decided to get into the act. I think the Glenn tree just across the yard from him got him mad as hell ! ( smile )

As we say down south, " Feel like I'm standing in some tall cotton. "

• 8 years ago

What a gorgeous tree!!!! A sight to behold indeed :o)...I didn't know you can spray open blooms with Liquid Copper? I sprayed mine when 90% of them are still closed and am nervous about spraying it again till the blooms have been pollinated...Please lmk if you notice any adverse reaction to spraying while blooms are fully open. Would be great to know how and if it makes any difference...

Gorgeous picture :o)...will post mine when they fully open. I hope I get half as many mangoes as you do!!!

• 8 years ago

Hi Nancy, my experience with anthracnose began only 4 yrs ago. Was caught off guard so quickly googled it. Since then have sprayed copper fungicide twice ( 2 - 2 1/2 weeks apart ) after the panicles & flowers appear, have not experienced any problems doing so. Here is one excerpt from the " experts. " ( smile )

6. What is the cause of black spots on the leaves of Mango trees? Anthracnose infection. Black spots appear on both young and old leaves, bloom, and fruit. On the leaves, the black spots go all the way through the tissue. On young leaves, the black spots appear along the margins causing leaf curl and leaf drop. The disease causes flowers to drop. After the flowers have fallen, the bare bloom spikes have a darkened, dirty appearance. Young fruit will become deformed and split, eventually dropping. Applications of copper fungicides as new tissue develops and protecting the expanding tissue will prevent anthracnose infections. For infections that come following nutritional deficiencies or wounds, prevention is the only successful control. Prevention involves spraying weekly from the first appearance of the flowers until all fruit have set with copper fungicide sprays ( always follow label directions ) To prevent fruit infections, sprays must be applied from the time the fruit sets until mid-May to mid-June depending on variety.

Just hope I didn't misunderstand, you've been at this much longer than me.

• 8 years ago

Turns out my fears were misplaced Jofus, most of the trees are in full bloom now. Mine is just starting to bloom on one side, its behind the others this year for some reason. Hoping the other half comes in in a month or so.

• 8 years ago

Great news BahamaDan, I am thinking this will be a good mango season for many of us.

• 8 years ago

The above discussion about when, or when not to spray copper fungicide on a healthy mango tree has intrigued me and caused me to re-study my strategy.

After that dismal ordeal 5 years ago when my 10 ft tall Nam Doc Mai got this fungus, - I had no idea what to do. So after 2 yrs of constant fungus, I cut that tree down ( was getting too big for it's location anyway ) and replanted a Pickering. From my investigating then it was apparent that there are differing opinions, some say start in Dec and continue every 2 weeks till harvest, others say only spray once or twice early on. After a brief investigation I opted for 2 sprays early in yr, 2 + weeks apart & never looked back. Until now.

Just came across a University of Florida site about the care of mango trees. Very informative, especially about this particular subject. UF says if you are spraying copper fungicide, spray only in the following months. Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb, but only if you feel it's necessary,..and that's it ! That's when the pannicles are new and the blossoms not yet open ! Common sense advise for the backyard grower, just what I was looking for !

Now I am a rabid Florida Gator fan, if they said the sun really rises in the west and sets in the east, I'd believe them ! ( smile ) So I have decided to change my mango spraying habits starting next year. One spray max in late January and none if there's no evidence it's necessary.

The site that I found so interesting is : Mango Growing in the Florida Home Landscape

My blooms now all look healthy, - many flies, bees & misc guys flitting about, so am confident I did no damage by my 2nd spray. An interesting subject for a mango farmer like me. I must thank Nancy for causing me to rethink this important subject. Hope the above site helps a few more mango "aficianado's. " ( smile )

• 8 years ago

Thanks Jofus...I am going to try this product I found by Bonide...it specifically list mango for the treatment of Powdery Mildew which is what I've dealt with in the past and am dealing with now. The front label is stamped "for organic gardening". So hopefully won't be as toxic,lol... I called the company to make sure it was safe to spray the blooms since that is where the powdery mildew problem is ( its only a few of the blooms and my hope is I stop them from spreading throughout the tree). I'm going to spray tonight so it has plenty of time to dry before the sun rises!

Wish me luck

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus