SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tete_a_tete

How would you amend clay?

tete_a_tete
8 years ago

I've been reading about someones problem with a very, very, very, clay soil - in fact it's not really a soil, just a clay. And I remembered that I also have a couple of areas where some clay was put on top of the ground to make a mound or two, in my garden. On top of these mounds I spread huge amounts of leaves, a trailer load of horse manure, more leaves, and they spent the remainder of that Autumn and then that Winter in being transported down into the clay by some worms and their cousins.

I thought.

Then one day, about a year or two later, I scraped away the surface to reveal the Amazing Soil Beneath, only to find that the worms had all retired and were spending the rest of their years in the mulch. So what I found was clay. And it was just as clayey as it had been before.

So, what should I have done? Would mixing the clay with the leaves and manure have worked? I figured at the time that it would be a waste of hard work.

What about a person who had a whole garden of clay? What would you do in their shoes?

Comments (14)