SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdy50

kitchen outlet wiring difficulties

birdy50
8 years ago

I'm renovating my kitchen with new cabinets and after pricing an electrician to add around 7 new outlets, thought it would be better to do myself. Sheesh, so expensive. In mapping out the current outlets and how I would upgrade to GFCI protected (this is a 1957 house and never upgraded) I found one outlet by the sink that had its own 20amp breaker. Nothing else on it that I could find anywhere in the house. Assuming this was the load in, I thought this would be a perfect start to the GFCI and then connect 3 new outlets to that line. After turning off the breaker, I opened the receptacle and what I found completely puzzles me. Any feedback or advice would be extremely appreciated.

There is a black wire not connected to the receptacle that runs from the top through to the hole in bottom of box. Going where, I have no idea. There is a white wire coming from the top of box that connects to the top screw of receptacle. Then another set of wires comes from the bottom hole of box- one white, one red. The white wraps around the same screw as the white line from the top. The red goes to the other screw at the top of receptacle.

In turning the breaker off, the black remains live. All else is neutral. Power on, the red and black are live. White are neutral.

Best I can figure, some jack wagon has a live wire running who knows where all over the house. How I can trace that, I have no idea. Why are both whites on the same screw? Where is that white and red line going to if this is the only receptacle on that breaker? The outlet works, so I do I just leave as is and move on to another receptacle to work with adding new outlets? I'm baffled.

Comments (11)