SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Do you like receiving gift cards?

plllog
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've seen a lot of suggestions for giving gift cards in various threads. In my own circle, it's a good option for the old folks who want to give something more specific than a check, but who can't really do a lot of shopping. We also give cards for grocery stores or Target or something as tips to people who are in positions where they're allowed to accept gifts but not cash.

In certain circumstances, we also give what we call the "crystal gift certificate". That's when you buy a crystal bowl or vase or decanter for a wedding present from a large department store with an easy return policy. For a holiday present version, it might be a scarf or wallet from that person's favorite store. Usually, the items are treasured by the recipients (so I hear years later, and from recipients for whom money was tight), and not exchanged, but if they really meant that they wanted gift cards to apply to towels, they can certainly get the towels in exchange for the crystal or whatever.

I'm not trying to sound like a Grinch here. When it comes to presents, I'm grateful for having people who want to give me things, and for the generosity they put behind it. Being honest, however, deep down I don't like receiving gift cards. From the old folks, I look for the love behind it, of them wanting to give me something and troubling to get the card, which is a huge chore for them, but from the able-bodied who have been to the stores and/or made presents for some, it feels like I wasn't worth their bother. I have my own money, so giving me money is no kind of treat, and when I look at the resulting object, my memory is of choosing it myself, not so much the person who gave me the card.

Do you like getting gift cards?

Comments (62)

• Lindsey_CA
    8 years ago

"I don't like getting M/C and Visa, because there's a fee when you use it."

I know you're in Canada, Jasdip, and the rules may differ, but here in the United States, the merchant has to pay the fee for accepting a MasterCard or Visa. It is against the policies of both MasterCard and Visa for the fee to be passed on to the customer.

And, by the way, it is also against the policies of both MasterCard and Visa for a merchant to ask to see your ID when using the card. They are supposed to look at the back of the card for the cardholder's signature. The merchant is supposed to hold the card while you sign the receipt, and then compare the signature on the card to the signature on the receipt. A merchant can lose their ability to accept MasterCard and/or Visa if customers complain that they are forced to show their ID.

• pammyfay
    8 years ago

When my nephews and nieces were young, they put together a list of things they were interested in -- certain games (at that time, those were board games, not electronic ones), books, toys. But that became complicated because frequently someone in the family would buy an item without telling others who may also have planned to buy that item. Then gift cards became handy -- I'd ask the kids to tell me the name of 3 stores that they like, and at least I'd know that they'd be happy with whichever store I picked of the 3. So I like giving them (I always know where one of my sisters likes to shop!), but I don't necessarily like receiving them, for the same reason Casey points out: Sometimes the gifter doesn't seem to give enough thought as to where I would be likely to shop (I'm talking about relatives and close friends). So I have regifted them a time or two.

I won't use a preloaded gift card from American Express again. I received one not too long ago from my employer, and I really had to go through hoops to use it. It's not an easy-and-straight transaction with Amazon (it was a multi-step process to turn the gift card into an Amazon gift certificate), Also, not every merchant will accept the Amex gift card (Barnes & Noble, for one), and I couldn't apply it to my own Amex account, either. So beware of that card!

• Related Discussions

What do you do with gifts (decorative) you don't like?

Q

Comments (34)
    My mother is one of those people who loves to give gifts, but unfortunately, has no sense of what the other person likes. She orders junk out cheap catalogs, re-gifts (for instance, a make-up case where an eyeshadow or two was used), or wraps up prizes she won at bridge tournaments (keychains or BBQ tools marked "Delta Dealin' Regionals"). She is well-to-do, (maybe because she doesn't spend much on presents? ha) so she's not giving inexpensive items out of necessity. She just doesn't get it. Christmas is tricky--but my family chuckles. (My husband got a Humane Society calendar this year, the one they send for free if you've donated. He also received a plastic Thomas Kincaid corkboard/keyholder thing in a busted box that he immediately took to a "Dirty Santa" party.) But then I am left with boxes saying "As Seen on TV!," useless kitchen gadgets, hideous plastic decorative items and heavy sense of guilt for wanting to get rid of it all. "Gosh, it may not be much, but she chose it with love and wrapped it with me in mind. I can't just put it in a yard sale." I was wringing my hands over my quandary, as my closets slowly filled with unwanted items ("but my MOTHER gave me this!"), when a wise friend had a talk with me. She reminded me that when a gift is given to me, it is now mine to do whatever I like with it. It is not Mom's, with strings attached or say-so about what should be done with it. It is MINE. I own it and I have the authority to decide where it goes. And it is perfectly okay if I think it should be donated to Goodwill and be enjoyed by someone else who might love it and think they found a treasure, instead of sitting unopened and disliked in my closet. So I no longer feel bad about "recycling" her unwanted presents. The only time I've ever spoken to her about the issue was when I had to gently ask her not to give me clothes anymore, since her taste was so different than mine. Now I thank her And sometimes she does hit the mark and I am delighted by her gift. You cannot control someone else's desire to spend money on your presents. They enjoy shopping for you and they like thinking they found the ideal gift, even if it's expensive. Of course, if you don't like it, it makes you feel bad that they invested in it, but every so often you might get something you want and then the cost doesn't bother you, right? I think you're being very gracious about trying to decorate with this item to spare your mother's feelings. But it's not up to her what you do with it, because she transferred ownership when she gave it to you.
    ...See More

How do you get gift cards for less than they are worth?

Q

Comments (2)
    No, these are bought by the companies in bulk, so they get a discount. It is like taking a coupon in, but it is a giftcard instead.
    ...See More

Lacking a bonus, I don't like gift cards/certificates

Q

Comments (16)
    Giftcards have their usefullness. I've heard of inactivity fees, but never experienced it first hand. I give a few giftcards a year. I give them for consumables (coffee shop, restaurant), because I obviously cannot give the teacher 4 cups of coffee for a gift. But I can treat her to 4 cups of coffee at her convenience with a giftcard, if I know she drinks coffee. If not, another place. And you can add my name to Jodi's wishlist. Give me a Barnes & Noble (any bookstore, that's just closest to my house) gift card, and I'll be a very happy girl! When someone gives me one of those, I know they know what I want. Forget the diamonds, books are this girl's best friend- but it's hard to buy a book for someone else, it's best to let them pick it. And I have a B&N discount card, so I will get more than face value of the card, by up to 40%.
    ...See More

About the gift wrapping. What do you do with money or gift cards?

Q

Comments (20)
    I learned I have to be careful in how I present gift cards. Once I was giving two kids gift cards attached to wrapped candy bars. I gave one to the first child and was with her as she opened it and found the GC. Her sister was asleep, so I asked her to give the other candy bar + gift card to her sister later.... I found out the sister had not noticed the GC and threw it in the trash with the wrapper. Luckily, it was still there when I told her to go look for the GC with the wrapping paper. So however clever you make the presentation, make it obvious that there is a card, too.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I like gift cards and I like to give them too.

• Fun2BHere
    8 years ago

I love receiving gift cards, especially Amazon or iTunes. If I get cash, I feel obligated to use it for necessities, but I can use the gifts cards for books, music and video entertainment...a nice treat. I don't like to receive restaurant gift cards as they are usually for places that I don't patronize.

• AtomicJay007
    8 years ago

I actually enjoy getting a gift card to a restaurant or a store that I don't typically frequent. I enjoy so many types of food that I can always find something good to eat at just about any restaurant. (I am, however, putting a disclaimer on chain restaurants. I do not want a card to the Red Lobster, for example.) But a card to a new local joint with an interesting menu, count me in. My family is of the age that we all get any wanted objects throughout the year and so I typically gift experiences rather than things. Sometimes this would be tickets to a show in town and a gift card to a restaurant to eat at afterwards, or a gift certificate for couple of nights at a spa retreat. I've only ever received positive feedback from these types of gifts. I've heard time and again how people wouldn't have bought themselves tickets to _______ show or __________ restaurant and were so glad to have had the experience. That said, if someone gave me a generic $100 MasterCard, it would be difficult to get excited about.

• charleemo
    8 years ago

I don't know what is wrong with giving cash or why that is considered tacky nowadays. The best gift card I got was to Lowe's. I was remodeling at the time. I have some lamps and flower bulbs I bought with it.

• Amazing Aunt Audrey
    8 years ago

When giving someone a gift you want it to be received with joy. Like a child does when opening a gift. Yet if you don't know what might do that at this point in time a gift card can still bring joy. When the card is received it isn't always joyous I guess from reading the posts. Yet when it's used there should be lots of joy. As now the gift is exactly what you wanted. If it's for a place you can't use, my thought is to pass it along and receive the joy from giving. So....yes I'd enjoy them...one way or another.

• plllog
    Original Author
    8 years ago

AAA, I agree about the joy. I guess I'm different from a lot of people. I'd rather have something chosen with love that I don't want (even the dreaded plastic necklace I mentioned in a different thread) than money. Two favorite gifts I've received recently are a jar of homemade raspberry curd with homemade sweet biscuits for dipping, and a silver cocktail ring which I happen to know cost less than $25, but fits perfectly and is more attractive than many "real" jewels. These aren't things easily bought, the homemade and the "perfect", but even though they're just things, they definitely brought the joy.

Arkansas Girl, I wish you well, and hope that you will soon be well to do enough to have a spare $25 to buy anything you want. Though AJ's last post clued me in...y'all are talking about $100 cards? I've never received one of them. I've gotten gifts that were worth that and more, but not cards.

So...how does it work? I give Harry a $100 card for Home Depot, and he gives me a $75 card to BB&B, and Julie gives each of us a $100 card for Whole Foods, and we give Julie a $200 spa day certificate, and at the end of it, Harry is up $25 on me, but otherwise we're all just passing the same dollar back and forth? While letting the stores hold it and make money on it until we get around to using it? I buy scrip on just that principle, but they pay for the privilege by way of the percentage they donate back to the sponsoring organization.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

Well, would it be better to get some gift that sits in the drawer and is never used? To me, that's why Christmas present buying has gotten out of control and is pretty much useless. At some point, we get old and realize there is no Santa. I guess I was raised by a very practical mother and we didn't buy everyone a bunch of presents in our family. They gave us kids something at Christmas but we weren't expected to buy them stuff. People did buy them presents but mostly they sat unused, a lot of times never leaving their boxes. Finally everyone pretty much realized that unless you gave them food or a gift card to their favorite restaurant, a gift would be unused.

• FlamingO in AR
    8 years ago

I generally do like gift cards, but only for a store or restaurant I would normally shop at. My brother gave me a very generous $200 gift card to Yankee Candle. I don't burn candles or have scented melters going hardly ever and there aren't any stores nearby. I had to wait until we were on vacation and make a special side trip to a distant mall to try to use it. I mostly got jar candles to give away to friends. An Amazon card would have been more practical.

• Adella Bedella
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Yes and no. I like gift cards, but if it isn't some place I frequent then it needs to have enough money on it to make it worth while. I know. Sounds greedy. A $20 gift card to a restaurant 30 minutes away even if I like the restaurant is a pain to use. The $20 gift cards to Wal-Mart were hard for my kids to use because nothing they want costs $20 and they don't always have money to add to it to buy what they really want so they would probably just buy $20 worth of candy if I let them. I ended up spending the gift cards on groceries and giving the kids the cash to use elsewhere.

I enjoy it when a gift card covers a full meal or a substantial chunk of something I want to buy. Then I feel good about dedicating a trip to shop there.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I'm really torn in answering this. I feel like gift cards are a cop out. I truly do. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate any? Nor do I refrain from giving any? I have no idea how I came to be here, but I am.

• ruthieg__tx
    8 years ago

People seem to have forgotten that part if gift giving is supposed to be the part where you enjoy and have fun selecting the perfect gift for someone you care about. I agree with rob...cards are a cop out....

• JoanMN
    8 years ago

I LOVE them!

• socks
    8 years ago

I'm with Joanmn above, they are very good to receive. I guess it isn't too different from putting some cash in an envelope except in most cases you have to use it in a specific store.

I'm giving a few this year. Don't really exchange gifts with my grown kids, but I give each one a Starbucks card (low dollar amount) as a remembrance.

Over the years--as for the young kids in the extended family--I have shopped for them over decades and just have "had it" with that. The kids have anything they need or want, so I give a gift card to the parents and they can do what they wish with it. Target, Amazon usually. Rob, maybe it is a cop out, but I have done my duty and now I've retired in more ways than one!

When in the grocery store recently, I saw a machine that you could put in a gift card, and apparently the machine gave you some amount of money on it. Not sure exactly how it worked.

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    8 years ago

It depends on the receiver. I am certain I have given gift cards on many occasions that were appreciated because they were needed to purchase things to make their life a little better. On the other hand, if I know money isn't an issue for someone, I always try to be creative & thoughtful.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    8 years ago

I like gift cards, never had one I did not like. I don't get many though and told the kids not to get me a thing this year.

Sue

• lindaohnowga
    8 years ago

A gift card to Michael's craft store I would love or one to Staples where I purchase my ink cartridges.

• plllog
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Socks, it's true. It's money with limits. I don't want anyone to give me cash money, either, except when I was young and needed it and it was from my parents or grandparents.

Obviously there are circumstances where cards are highly appropriate. As I said in my original post, for the old folks it's a way to dress up money and they often don't have shopping help. For kids, especially distant ones, it's targeted pocket money, which they presumably don't have much of and can be excited to have some of their own to spend as they please. For money transfer to grown-ups, like in the housewarming thread, a big card to home depot from a parent for fixing up the new house, is a way to make sure they use it on the house rather than frittering it away on the first thing that comes up.

What I've also gleaned from a lot of you is that the gift cards that will cover a lot of smaller purchases (Starbucks, iTunes), or which are for something basic and necessary, like food from a place they shop, or Home Depot, if they have a house, are best. "They deserve a dinner out so let's give them a dinner at our favorite restaurant," which is something I've heard, often isn't enough to cover more than the entrees, and might not be what they want to eat or a convenient place for them to do so. If it is enough for entrees, appetizers, wine, dessert, tip, and tax, they might think it really means dinner for four and still be left paying extra in a too far away place with food they don't like.

What I've also learned from y'all is that there are a lot of people who give other people random useless junk. While I too think that the cards are a cop out in most situations, I guess if people are going to give bad presents that will never be loved or used, they may as well just pass money around.

• dees_1
    8 years ago

Gift cards have a purpose. When a relative across the country bought a house, we really didn't know what they needed so we sent them a Lowe's gift card. This way, if they needed paint, tools, cleaning supplies or whatever, they had some extra cash to manage. Another friend recently bought a house. I knew there was painting and other projects to be done so I snuck a gift card into a card for the same reason! For new homes, I usually try to gift homemade goodies of some kind but that's not always feasible. Giving décor related items can be difficult and when moving into a new place, a complete re-do of decorating taste may be in order.

Christmas gifts for the grandkids are tough because they don't NEED anything. The little one is still amused by the crazy things we buy her (and hopefully that won't wear off soon) but the older two are hard. So, we get them each a small gift card and then something personal (books, etc) to open.

They fill a niche.....

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I think you're exactly right dees. I totally understand those situations. They're good examples. It's why I say I have given them and have received them. They do fill that void.

• dees_1
    8 years ago

I should have added that I don't MIND receiving gift cards but like others before me, if they are for a place where I'll either have to travel far to use it (specialty store) or spend a boatload of cash just to use it (high priced places), I may not enjoy them so much. Now for restaurants, as long as it's not a chain restaurant (with very few exceptions), I'd prefer to leave those out of my list!

We have friends in FL that we exchange Christmas gifts each year. They, like us, don't really need much so we give them gift cards. My friend though is really creative. She's found subscription of the month clubs for things we like and also given us "gift certificates" for a "choose your own gift". This gives us an opportunity to try things we may not have tried before!

BTW,,,,I am a horribly uncreative person! Gift giving is hard for me sometimes...most times....

• llucy
    8 years ago

gift cards benefit the retailer. THEY get the money right off the bat from the person purchasing the gift card. The gift card recipient however is at a disadvantage.

1. They have to find something in the store they want.

2. If what they want is more than the gift card amount, they spend money on their gift and the corporation makes more in turn.

3. If they find something they want that is slightly less than the amount of the gift card, they either have to spend more money on something to 'use up' what little is left on the gift card, or toss it. Either way the corporation makes more money.

This is a brilliant financial gimmick for retailers - they can't lose. For gift recipients? Eh...not so much. And the most brilliant part is convincing people to buy specific retail cards because "It's so much more personal" than giving cash, check, or a pre-paid VISA/MC that the gift recipient could spend anywhere THEY wanted.

• Suzieque
    8 years ago

I really don't care for gift cards. Given the old adage of "it's the thought that counts", I don't feel that any real thought is given. It's an "easy out". Of course I'm happy for any gift, but would really appreciate if the giver would give a few more minutes of thought beyond the easy out of a gift card. I'd never turn it down or be ungracious, but I'd like to think that I'm worthy of additional thought.

• marylmi
    8 years ago

I like gift cards, especially for restaurants that are near by. As a person gets older, it is very hard to find something that they can use or like ,as most of us buy what we want and we ( speaking for myself hete) don't need anything for the house such as appliances, etc. my friends and I have quit exchanging presents as really, it was becoming a chore to find something they would like and took the joy out of giving ,as you really want to give someone a gift they truly like.

• cacocobird
    8 years ago

I like gift cards. My daughter and son-in-law give me gift cards to Amazon and Starbucks. I sometimes give them cards, but usually at least one gift that I picked out especially for them.

• jwood52
    8 years ago

I appreciate gift cards, tho I have misplaced several and/or had them expire.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

Lindsey_ca - Here, there used to be a fee for Activating a MC/Visa Gift card not for Using a MC/Visa card in general. And yes, for that the merchant pays the fees. I think the fee used to be paid for by the recipient but it is now paid for by the purchaser up front at the time of the purchase of the gift card.

I used to get a lot of gift cards and they would find their way to the bottom of my purse, get forgotten about and then never used. I don't buy books (that's what a library is for) I don't go out for meals or coffee and I seldom buy clothes. People now know not to bother. You really have to know the person that you are giving the card to as to whether or not it will be actually used.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    8 years ago

I really don't like those MC/VISA cards, they wanted my social security number

• caflowerluver
    8 years ago

I prefer gift cards over receiving nothing.

• cat_ky
    8 years ago

I love gift cards, especially Walmart or Amazon. When people dont live close to you, they dont know what you want or need, and either of those places, work out very well for me.

• caroline94535
    8 years ago

I love gift cards, especially to places like Amazon, Lowe's, Menards... Star Bucks would be fun, too. I very seldom stop in there (one or two times a year), but I'd love a gift card to cover a cup of coffee as a special treat!

I keep my gift cards tucked, upright, behind other the other cards, in my wallet. They are very obvious when I open the wallet and snug enough that I don't lose them.

I live in a small house, in a constant flux, and even though I've been mercilessly "decluttering," I still have too...much...stuff. 59+ years of living seems to accumulate a lot of stuff.

I make it a point to let the giver know when I spend the card, and what I purchased with it. I may not send a "Thank You" card; but I do send a "Thank You" email and phone call. The purchase becomes their gift to me. They didn't have to hunt for it, wrap it, and ship it. I picked out just what I wanted and we're all happy.

The last gift card I received was last February; it was for iTunes. The lady (Yes! I called her a lady because she is one!) who gave me the card is a frugal person, a careful shopper, and I wanted my gift purchases to reflect that. She wanted me to pick audiobooks; I love audio books in my iPod!

I decided the books had to be something I really wanted; they had to be on one of the monthly $4.95 specials; ( It seems iTunes has stopped that wonderful program ), they had to be long-running books (more bang for the buck! ) and they had to be a genre that she would appreciate too.

I wound up getting the unabridged audio books of:

Jaws, by Peter Benchley - 9 hours, 39 minutes

I loved the movie. The book, of course, is much better than the movie. I loved it.

Call the Midwife, by Jennifer Worth - 12 hours, 2 minutes

England's post-WWII era fascinates me. I have not watched the TV series; I'm hope they did not go off into sappy-land, but the book is wonderful!.

Festive in Death #39 "Eve Dallas" series - 13 hours, 11 minutes

This was the third "in Death" book I've read. Books 1 and 2 were wonderful. I certainly won't get them all on the iPod, but since this one was $5.95 it joined the line-up. I can get #3 thru #38 at the library to fill in the time lines.

Wilson, by A. Scott Berg - 32 hours, 32 minutes

This was another new author to try, and I had not studied President Woodrow Wilson and pre-WWI all that much.

Four wonderful books for $25 and I had enough left over to purchase one 99 cent song that brought back mid-'70s vibes! She was proud of my shopping!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    8 years ago

I love gift cards. Amazon gift cards are great, and restaurants that I frequent. Or pricey restaurants that I usually don't go to. Or even Walmart. Most everybody goes to Walmart. When I get a gift card, I usually buy myself something frivilous that I wouldn't spend my own money for.

Has anybody tallied the yeas and nays in this post? I'm guessing 80% yea, 20% nay.

• bob_cville
    8 years ago

Count me as nay.

I appreciate the thought, but usually a gift card is more effort to use than it is worth (for me.) In the past I have been given gift cards for:

• a store I rarely go to (Sears) so it required a special trip.
    • a store that there aren't any close by (Home Depot which is 40 minutes away)
    • a store I prefer to avoid, (Walmart) I simply gave the card to the next person I ran into
    • an online store that requires setting up an account to use the card (ITunes)

and even when it is a place I do frequent I have to remember to bring the card and then remember to use the card. I have a card for two different local restaurants, that I have gone to after receiving the cards, with one I had the card in my wallet and forgot to use it, with the other I had taken the card out a week or so earlier.

• joyfulguy
    8 years ago

Don't like 'em.

Many have a fee for purchase, whether paid by recipient (less frequently, recently, I think) or the store (in which case it adds to their cost of doing business, which we mainly-cash-customers have to help pay for) or the purchaser, up-front.

As some have said, the card seller gets the money now ... and doesn't have to provide goods till later ... and if the card gets lost, stolen, or forgotten (more frequently than does cash, I think, as it doesn't look like "real" money) ... just keeps the money ... and smiles broadly. I prefer that it'd be the store, rather than the money-juggler.

Some have fees for non-use, whether sequentially, month by month, or once, after a period (but the store got the money up-front, and only provides partial [or nil] service). Some of that stuff has been made illegal in our area, recently.

The ones useful in many stores seem to have fees ... and the ones for use in one store, restaurant or service can be used only in that location ...

... but when I give currency, or a cheque, the funds can be used in every store in town.

I find it difficult to buy a gift for many of my friends, as they have most everything that they need, and more, and I don't know them well enough to know of something special that they'd appreciate, or even treasure.

It is difficult to seek and buy a gift for folks that I don't know well ... or even for folks whom I do know quite well, but with whose lifestyles I am only marginally familiar. For example, many of them want more electronic gadgets, and my familiarity with the gadgets, or their needs along that line, is sketchy, at best.

Also, many of my friends are older, have enough stuff, and are either soon to downsize their residence, or have done so, and the last thing that they want is something lower on their priority scale than a number of their precious things that they're either soon to need to get rid of - or have done so, earlier.

I've given to charities for a number of years, rather than giving gifts, or even cards (but I used the receipts to reduce my income tax load).

I find in a few recent years, having lost friends whom I've valued, that I've been contacting a number of the ones still operational, especially at Christmas, whether by a gift or, more likely, for reasons outlined above, a card. Or paid them a visit ... or several, throughout the year.

Someone gave me a card two years ago ... and another, last year ... they're still sitting (in their envelopes?) in a drawer ... somewhere.

ole joyful

• LucyStar1
    8 years ago

No, I do not like gift cards. When I retired, I was given three gift cards that totaled about $200. I think they were American Express gift cards. I couldn't use them online for one large purchase because most websites only accept one card. I ended up just using them at the grocery store. That was the only way I could figure out how to convert them into cash. I had to keep track of the balance. They either couldn't be more than the purchase or less than the purchase (I forget wish). Each one ended up with a small balance that I could not use. They were a pain in the ass. I wish they had just given me cash.

• plllog
    Original Author
    8 years ago

There's a recurring theme of cards are so much better because you can buy what you need. I get it for people who are stretched thin and have a lot of needs. There even more of them of a want. To get what you want. It's nice to get what you want. So I understand that, too.

Thinking about wants and needs, however, and given that few of the people I exchange gifts with are in need (and doing for those who are is a different category of giving), I realized that a big reason I don't care for gift cards or cash gifts except in certain, fairly narrow circumstances, is that I have a totally different philosophy of gift giving. For me, it's about surprising someone with something delightful, not supplying their wants and needs. Sometimes there are misses, but usually if I find something delightful, the recipient does, too, and we're both happy.

That's also why, in the adults draw names exchange some years back, when I knew that the person whose name I drew was collecting gift cards to buy something at a particular department store, I got her a beautiful snap purse there (large coinpurse or small makeup bag) for exactly the limit of the exchange, so she could have something to look at and hold, and still return it and apply the credit to her want. But, you see, she didn't want the want that much. She kept the beautiful snap purse because it was lovely and different and delightful, though she'd never seen one or thought to get herself any such thing, and probably wouldn't have spent as much on it, either.

Of course, not all of the gifts one gives score so well, but I think it's worth trying. There are a lot of people who voted yea, that they like gift cards, but then have a lot of caveats about the gift cards that they don't like. Many only like a certain kind, so I think that 80% number is high, and we need a like some/dislike some middle category.

I love to delight people. And I love to be delighted. I'm not one to "regift" things, but I'm more likely to give a gift card away (e.g., for a fundraising silent auction).

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

I don't mind getting a gift card, but prefer cash instead. Too many gift cards, depending on how those are structured, benefit the merchant more than anyone else. Some cards will not return change when the precipitant selects an item that does not use the entire amount on the card. His only choice is to forgo the remainder or purchase another item to use up the card's value and most likely pay a little extra because the item goes over the amount remaining on the card.

There is one exception: meal cards at a restaurant. I do not mind applying the remainder to another meal.

We did give gift cards once to our high school aged children. These were gift cards to movies at a particular local chain who had a unique holiday policy. Upon request when buying a movie ticket, they would cash out the card and return the change.

In general, I am not a fan of gift cards. These are too restrictive forcing me to shop at a specific store. Cash works better.

• kittiemom
    8 years ago

I'm fine with gift cards. I can always use it to buy something I really wanted that the giver may not have chosen and think of them when I see the item. I do understand wanting to think that someone spent time choosing a gift instead of using the gift card as an easy solution.

It's difficult to buy for others even when you know their taste and are willing and able to spend the time to shop. Sometimes people already have something similar or perhaps the item just isn't to their taste even though the giver really thought it was. Then, if the recipient sees the giver or they visit, they're usually reluctant to get rid of the piece of clothing or the decor item because they don't want to make the giver feel bad.

My SIL has given DH and me gift cards in the past. Last year she had one of those prepared gift baskets from an online place delivered. The thought was appreciated, but it was full of candy, crackers and other items that we just don't really eat. Several of the items were taken to our offices for our coworkers. I preferred the gift cards as we could get something we'd actually use or enjoy.

A lot of people I know have mentioned clutter as a reason they prefer gift cards. They prefer to be able to download books, music or treat themselves to dinner out rather than have more clothes or another decor item.

• Texas_Gem
    8 years ago

I like receiving gift cards because I enjoy shopping but I almost never splurge for myself. My parents figured out years ago that if they gave me cash, I would put it in the bank and use it on bills instead of a splurge.

Now, they give me a gift card. This year, I received a gift card to Home Depot which I used to buy a crystal chandelier for my pantry. A complete indulgence I've been wanting for a while but I doubt I ever would have used money from my bank account to get it when that money could be used for more practical items.

My chandy is going up next week and I can't wait!!!

• kathleen44
    8 years ago

Gifts are good to give out to others due to they can be used for shopping at stores for only they can know and buy what they like. Grocery gift cards are a good one too, in fact if grandparents are doing the cooking all the time for these expensive meals, I see them here and that is a huge cost for them, help them by giving them gift cards for those and not break their budget or go without after its all over, food has become hugely expensive and hard to buy at times. Gas gift cards for those driving cars. Restaurants, book stores, there are such a variety of gift cards that can be bought and what they like and can choose what they like themselves. But think of ones you are giving gift cards and will they use them as all many not like them or not go out and about to use them.

I caught this show where they were talking about gift cards and one loves them so much for everything from going to movies, to food, to gas, to shopping all those things to do. Another said she has a huge pile of them and hates them, feels they are a unthought gift. Another said she likes to actually open up a gift given.

I tried that with my brother and sil years ago as I couldn't afford their expensive taste so thought I would give card where they shopped back then and they hated them said that is an unthought gift.

There are many that are hard to buy for and you give up then as they aren't happy with anything.

I would love to have something like grocery gift card, bookstore gift card, for me those are useful and great gifts to have but I have no one to give anything like that to me except if I do it to myself. LOL

kathy

• BB Galore
    8 years ago

I have a mentally ill person in my life who definitely does not need the hassle of trying to use gift cards...no transportation, no online shopping, and semi-transient. Usually I'll include a small food item or trinket with a cash gift.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

I want to bring this up again. I remembered what it is, that I don't like getting MC/Visa gift cards. The purchaser pays a fee, but if the card doesn't get used in a timely manner, Visa deducts fees from the amount!

So if it sits there in your drawer and you forget about it, etc, yes it doesn't expire (as per the law) but there's a lot less on it, than what it was originally given to you for.

That should be against the law as well.

• User
    8 years ago

I got one last year for Christmas to use in any store of a mall I never go to. It's still in my purse.

• Jasdip
    8 years ago

Debby, I got a Keg gift card a few years ago. That's a restaurant that we never frequent, so I sold it on Kijiji and we used the money to go to another restaurant.

• joyfulguy
    8 years ago

If you have only 45 cards, be they "credit" (read "debt") cards, gift cards, or whatever ...

... can you be said to be a few cards short of a deck??

ole joyfuelled ... who gets nearly none ... and has a couple at home having sat unused in an envelope, drawer ... or somewhere ... for a year or two

• newgardenelf newgardenelf
    8 years ago

I detest gift cards. Why not just give cash. Besides the annoyance of having to remember it, use it, deal with fees or declining balance if you don't use it right away, it's just more plastic that gets produced and tossed in the landfills.

• jakkom
    8 years ago

We have a long-standing agreement with family and friends that no presents are exchanged unless one absolutely, positively, finds something that they are 100% certain someone wants to have. Quite often we just agree to dine out together, for a fun evening of food and socializing.

I'll occasionally do gift cards. I just make sure they are appropriate to the recipient. One of our relatives is always involved in endless home improvement projects, for example. He is ecstatic to receive a HDepot gift card; he spends thousands there every year (and has ever since we've known him, LOL). Most of the Gen X'ers we know are enthusiastic users of Amazon or Trader Joe's.

Amazon is painless: fast, easy, and completely digital. No waste involved.

• Pieonear
    8 years ago

I love gift cards and especially if it is for Amazon.

• dances_in_garden
    8 years ago

I like them, especially if it is for a place I like (for example Chapters). It gives me a chance to indulge in something that I might not treat myself to without feeling guilty (like another cookbook to read just like a book LOL).

If I get gift cards for other people I try to make it for a place I know they like or can get to. If I make a guess for some reason I will usually let the person know that I can trade it for a more suitable place if they like, but most times I have an idea of what stores they may like.

Sometimes I make sure it is enough to BUY something, sometimes I am okay if it is just a bit to bump things up at a place they regularly visit. There is a steakhouse here that my sister loves. I could never afford to make sure it would pay for a full meal for herself let alone a guest or her family. But they go there often, and I figure she can splurge on dessert ;)

I wonder about amazon cards though. I don't like the idea of a lot of the money getting eaten up in shipping. I would only do it for somebody that I know uses amazon a lot.

Dances.