SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Lacking a bonus, I don't like gift cards/certificates

joyfulguy
15 years ago

Most stores that offer gift cards/certificates (and which one doesn't?) offer only ones of equal value.

They get a benefit when they get $20.00 currency (or equivalent via Credit or Debit Card) and give a piece of paper worth not a cent more that's useful in only their store: it's called a "guaranteed sale".

Where's there a benefit for me ... or the recipient ... in such a deal?

Maybe the recipient doesn't ordinarily shop there.

Maybe s/he forgets it when coming to shop ... and buys stuff for cash.

Maybe s/he loses it.

Maybe the store that issued it goes out of business - so the card/certificate becomes ... just so much scrap plastic/paper. Gets paid for providing - nothing!

If I'm to give valuable consideration ... for nothing tangible in return ... I'll give to a charity!! Most stores ain't no charity!

When I ask retailers for a $20.00 certificate for $18.00 ... they look at me as though I carry two heads.

If there's no benefit for me ...

... why should I trade a (semi)-valuable(1) piece of currency, valid for purchases in thousands of stores in town, for one with their name on it, that's useful in only their store?

There is one potential advantage for the holder ... they may choose to use it when goods are on sale, while if the giver had bought a Christmas gift instead, it probably would have been at full retail, prior to Christmas. Though, with many retailers running recession-scared this year, there may be substantial pre-Chritmas sales.

However - sometimes there's an activation fee ... sometimes a monthly fee when the card/certif. isn't used, "inactivity fee" ... which means that fairly often the card-holder finds that half or more of the value has ... evaporated! That's usually on the ones issued by a shopping mall, good in the various stores, I've heard.

When I was a kid, it cost 50 cents to go to the movie and if we gave them $5.00, they'd give us 12 tickets ... which made it useful if more than one couple were out for an evening's entertainment.

There was a benefit for us purchasers, as well.

Which, being canny shoppers, suited us fine.

But the stores got rid of that nonsense ... ages ago.

Did you see that list here of all of those stores that are in the process of going bankrupt?

I'm not about to be buying any gift cards/certificates this year ... to maybe see them go up in smoke, later? No, thanks!!

Good wishes for increasingly canny use of both your income - and your assets!

ole joyful

1. " ...trade a (semi)-valuable(1) piece of currency ....", that's becoming more "semi" as the months go by.

o j

Comments (16)