SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Do You Like Getting Gift Cards?

Jasdip
13 years ago

I love gift cards. My brother always asks what I want, and if I can't think of something specific I ask for a gift card from my favourite store; Canadian Tire.

(Cdn Tire is not all about tires, it's a store that sells sporting, housewares, and automotive stuff).

I bought my waffle iron and a Kitchen Aid enamel cast-iron dutch oven, and a bread maker with my gift cards over the past few years.

It used to be that gift cards had an expiry date, which is blatantly unfair, and pure profit to the store, since they are money in their pocket.

Since the government made it so they don't expire, I wait till something is on sale, and buy what I want.

Comments (39)

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

No, I don't like them. I think they are impersonal and an easy way out, and I always forget I have them or don't use them. Having said that, I do give them--especially for shower gifts if I can't make it. It's easier to mail them, and those that I give them to prefer them so they can buy what they need instead of getting another whatever.

• nan_nc
    13 years ago

I really like gift cards..especially from Lowe's or Home Depot. I also like giving them to the GKs, who are 3,000 miles away and I have NO idea what they want or need.

• Related Discussions

Lacking a bonus, I don't like gift cards/certificates

Q

Comments (16)
    Giftcards have their usefullness. I've heard of inactivity fees, but never experienced it first hand. I give a few giftcards a year. I give them for consumables (coffee shop, restaurant), because I obviously cannot give the teacher 4 cups of coffee for a gift. But I can treat her to 4 cups of coffee at her convenience with a giftcard, if I know she drinks coffee. If not, another place. And you can add my name to Jodi's wishlist. Give me a Barnes & Noble (any bookstore, that's just closest to my house) gift card, and I'll be a very happy girl! When someone gives me one of those, I know they know what I want. Forget the diamonds, books are this girl's best friend- but it's hard to buy a book for someone else, it's best to let them pick it. And I have a B&N discount card, so I will get more than face value of the card, by up to 40%.
    ...See More

Getting a $75 Gift Card

Q

Comments (3)
    Good for you. We get $150 every year per adult person. So that's $300 for us. We still have to pay taxes though but that's small stuff. I know that there are people where I work that won't do this because they don't want anyone to know there health issues. My thoughts are that the insurance company already has that info so not sure what difference it makes. They already have it in the plans for next year and I'll take part in that again. My thoughts are that they doctor already is running these tests when I go in for a physical so they just need to fill out an additional form. Also, where I work they have someone come in to run these tests for those that don't go to the doctor to get this. The plus is that you don't have to pay a co-pay.
    ...See More

Do You Like Getting Gifts Gift-Wrapped or in the Bag

Q

Comments (37)
    As long as I didn't have to clean up the mess of the shredded paper, I didn't mind wrapped. I kind of enjoyed wrapping gifts. But I do think it's a waste of money and other resources. Better to use the comics or something. You can get creative in wrapping. My sister was the first to start using bags and cheapo that I am, I'd save and reuse them. We'd give the same bag back and forth. Now I use the reusable shopping bags more and more for gift bags. It's an extra gift in itself. As far as what I'd prefer to receive? An envelope. Stuffed with cash. Large denominations. As I've said before, THERE'S a thoughtful gift! You may wrap it in money if you want. Or use cash for the tissue too if you like. Christmas is approaching. Feel free to send anytime. It's cheaper to ship too!
    ...See More

Complete the survey and get a $5 Starbucks Gift Card!

Q

Comments (0)
    Help influence the next generation of indoor gardening solutions for growing your own produce! If you currently grow vegetables, herbs or fruit for your own use, either indoor or outdoor, we invite you to participate in our survey. As a thank you for five minutes of your time, we will buy you a latte! We offer a $5 gift card to Starbucks for the first 50 participants. Survey link below! https://goo.gl/forms/gXVxWFSHr1i3oe6g1
    ...See More
  • Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I too think they are too impersonal, but do think in some cases they are the best thing to give...younger folks who have actual wants/needs and those that can best shop for themselves.

I think they are great from an employer though, as a gift or a reward for a job well done. The best gift card I ever received (from employer) was to Amazon. I had never shopped Amazon before but used that card to get several good books (at very good prices) that I had been wanting for some time.

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

yes I love anything free..like free lunch.

• juellie1962
    13 years ago

For some reason, I LOVE getting them, but detest giving them. Seems like you didn't put a lot of thought into the gift giving. But like Bulldinkie, I LOVE "free".... :)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

I love gift cards to places I would use them. I have never gotten a card I didn't use.

Sue

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I liked the gift card my neighbor got me when I found his lost dog for him or when I redeem points on my credit card.

As a gift you get each other....NO! I think if your at that point you need to STOP exchanging gifts.

• gardendoll
    13 years ago

I have mixed feelings. The bad part about gift cards is when you forget you have them....thank heavens they don't have an expiry date anymore. I just found a blockbuster gift card from last xmas from my BIL to DH. I told DH we have to use this otherwise his brother might as well as taken the cash and thrown it out the window.

On the other hand my immediate family if they feel they must get us something we always confirm a choice of cards if they must have a gift. Our nieces always want gift cards - one is in college and the other is in senior high. The college niece we have given gas gift cards to help save her money out of pocket - she keeps that card for emergencies and does use it, the younger one always wants either clothing cards or movie coupons.

One year I got gift cards for "Lee Valley" which is a premier store for gardening, woodworking, metal work, cabinet making. It was a very thoughtful gift because everyone knows I'm a garden fanatic. I was able to purchase some much needed and much higher quality garden tools.

Gift cards have their place. And we only do them when asked for or if its for something that the other person uses/or shops frequently.

I hate it when other people buy me clothing that is the wrong colour, most often wrong size and just not to my taste. I shop a lot in charity shops - you should see the stuff in mid-Jan through Feb that is available with tags still on them.

Personally I wish it could go back to simpler times - Christmas to me is having a fun day with family, sitting around the table and laughing our heads off and finally settling down to an xmas movie or sports (the men of course).

Oh and this year our college niece is making a gift of baked cookies. Her Mom asked in the QT - we love that idea because her cookies last year disappeared fast.

So do I like getting gift cards? Yes because we all have it sorted in our families. They are not a regular feature every year - only when wanted.

Cheers,
    Peggy

• phyllis__mn
    13 years ago

I love them.....I usually get them for the grands as it's just impossible to know what to get them, but I try to be more personal in the choices, such as movie cards, etc. SIL just told me how he had used a Sears card I got him....tree loppers were on sale, and he had the card, so he now has loppers!! I like getting them, although I sometimes forget....thank goodness they do not expire any more.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I hate it when other people buy me clothing that is the wrong colour, most often wrong size and just not to my taste. I shop a lot in charity shops - you should see the stuff in mid-Jan through Feb that is available with tags still on them.

hmmm.....Making note to self to be sure and try to check out the thrift stores mid-Jan through Feb...lol

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I don't mind receiving them for places like where I get my massages. However, I don't like giving them and not knowing how the people enjoyed using them or what they got with it. When you never hear about it, its rather like the person doesn't think of you when they use it. That may sound selfish on my part but part of gift giving is thinking aobut what the person you are buying for really likes. I'd like to know if they enjoyed the gift - be it a wrapped present or a gift card. Just something to think about if you receive a gift card or if you get one you might mention how you used it to the giver.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I love them. Especially gift cards for restaurants, which my daughter gives us every year. She also gives me one for Steinmart and Harry one for Barnes and Noble.

I asked them this year if they wanted gift cards instead of cash, but they all opted for the money. That way they can hit the after-Christmas sales. My daughter's taste in clothing and mine are at opposite ends of the spectrum. She would hate anything for the kitchen. I've been giving money for years and I don't apologize for it. It makes them happy!

• monica_pa Grieves
    13 years ago

I keep gift cards handy in the house for "emergency gifts", especially around Christmas.
    I think a gift card, especially a generic one like AMEX or to someone's favorite store, looks like a little more effort than just taking paper money out of your wallet or the ATM machine and putting it into a card.

• marylmi
    13 years ago

Since I now have "about" all household items that I need/want,I like getting a gift card for Penney's, JoAnn fabrics, etc. then I can shop when I want for items I want, such as clothes, shoes, etc. Also like the restaurant gift cards. I know it is silly to exchange gift cards.....but......, I would rather have that then something that won't be used that much or I really don't care for. I will be getting friends gift cards again this year as they are the same as me and "what in the world do you get them"???? Can be very stressful trying to shop for something they would really like..so gift cards it is! :) I live in a smaller town so I don't have tons of stores for shopping.

• zeetera
    13 years ago

It depends on what they're for. But I tend to forget about them and usually end up misplacing them, which reminds me that I need to look for a restaurant one.

• ont_gal
    13 years ago

love em

• jannie
    13 years ago

In answer to the question, no. I don't like being obligated to go to a specific store. And even if I do go, I always go way over the amount on the gift card, so I end up spending even more money over the holidays. Hate to be a Grinch.

• mariend
    13 years ago

Sometimes I mix them with a gift. Friend just got married gave them a gift card plus a item for the kitchen I really like and use alot. It is a thing that opens these pop cans that I got at our local gourmet food store. I find if I keep my gift cards in a small seperate card holder it helps. That way they are in my purse, but together.
    Marie

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

I love them too! Especially restaurant cards. And I give them a lot as well, both to restaurants and to shops that I know the recipient loves, maybe their hairdresser, manicurist or for a massage. I love doing things like that for people who will not treat themselves. When a person takes the time to find out special places I like frequent and treats me to a gift card from that establishment I do not consider that impersonal at all.

One year at our annual sorority party we each had to bring a $25 gift card (or combination to equal $25) in a plain envelope. They went into a bowl and we each picked one out, what a hoot!

• lydia1959
    13 years ago

I do like gift cards. I'm pretty picky about what goes in my house (decor wise) and in what I wear... so it's easier if I can pick out the item myself.

Thanks for the gift card idea Lynn! We were wanting to cut back on the gift buying and I didn't think 'rob your neighbor' using gifts would work well in a group with older people and teens.. but the gift card idea might.

• susan_on
    13 years ago

I love getting gift cards. The people that get them for me, though, always know me well enough to get them for the stores and spas they know I frequent.

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Like MBoston mentioned, it's nice to tell the giver what you got with the gift card. Unless it's a restaurant card of course. ;-)

I thanked my step-father for the waffle-maker. He was puzzled, then I told him that I got it with his gift card. He laughed and said you're welcome!

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

LOVE gift cards!

• joann23456
    13 years ago

I have mixed feelings. As an impersonal thank-you when you don't want to give cash, as for a teacher, I think they're great. (For a business relationship, though, I much prefer cash.)

For family and friends, I don't mind gift cards if there's *something* personal about the gift. Other posters have given good examples of this - a card for a gardening store to someone who loves to garden, a card for a favorite restaurant, a gas card for a young person who keeps it for emergencies. I sometimes give cards like that. For years, my father gave me gift cards to a car wash, which I loved.

So I guess I'm okay with gift cards, as long as the gift feels personal in some way.

• dances_in_garden
    13 years ago

I think they can be a perfect gift. I like to give a gift card if I know a person's favourite store. It's not impersonal or thoughtless...I KNOW you like that store or restaurant so I got it specifically for YOU. See? LOL! Or maybe I like a store or restaurant so much and think you will like it too.

If the purpose is just "Meh, I don't know what you want so go buy it yourself" or "it is just too much work to shop" then yes, that is not good giving. If you want to give something but just cannot do personalized shopping, then the intent is still there even though it is "just a gift card" and that moves it back into good gift giving territory.

When I get gift cards, I see it as permission to treat myself to something that I wouldn't normally otherwise.

Dances.

• mboston_gw
    13 years ago

I might mention that even if I buy something for my DIL - a purse, books she has mentioned she would like to read, bath stuff, I never see her use it or if I ask her if she read the book, the answer is always she hasn't read it, used it, etc. so this year she will get her Victoria Secret gift card and perhaps I will get her and my son a card to their favorite restaurant. However, other than a couple items I am making personally, that will be it. I will put the rest towards toys for my grandson, even though she has told me not to go over board with stuff for him and not to buy too much educational stuff cause she wants it to be "fun" to come to Nana's house! (I am a retired teacher.) BTW, this is where he has his swing, his nerf balls (which I am blamed for teaching him to throw), his wagon, his first riding toy, building blocks as well as his books, CD's, and educational toys! Grrr. Have to remind myself to smile and bite my tongue!

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

I've never been given a gift card but I know I would love it.

I do give them for people who are hard to buy for, as I figure it's better for them to pick out what they want, rather than pretend to love something they don't really want, just because I gave it to them.

I gave my sister one and she ran to the mall and bought herself some cute boots and some other things. She loved it because she would never go on a shopping spree on her own paycheck, so that was fun.

• Charlee_MO
    13 years ago

I like them and just used the one my brother gave me a couple weeks ago to buy stuff for my house. So I told him he bought some paint and a couple lamps for me lol!

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

I seldom get them ... and like them less than cash, for they are usually useful in only one store ... which may not be one where I choose to buy things.

Some of the malls that used to offer them that covered every store in the mall had some that charged a fee per month, after something like four months, while there was a balance left on it. That, as well as there being expiry dates, bugs me strongly.

By the way, Canadians - is it illegal here to offer gift cards with expiry dates?

I prefer cash, on the part of someone who finds it hard to buy for me.

And several would, for my wants are simple.

I give few gifts, as well, and several years ago reduced the Christmas cards sent to a small number, mostly extended family, giving gifts to charities instead.

When we give to registered charities, and religious agencies, we get receipts that reduce our income tax load, with gifts over $200. total being credited at the top marginal tax rate, even if the filer's top rate was lower.

I used that and the deductibility of donations to political parties to reduce my federal tax last year to zero ... which pleased my frugal heart some, though I do feel that I should be paying some taxes, to keep the country's essential services financed properly.

ole joyful

• mary_c_gw
    13 years ago

Well, no, I really don't. I get them every year, often for places I don't patronize.

I usually end up donating or regifting them.

I don't go to Starbucks, I don't want more books, yada yada.

Honestly I'd rather people spent the money on themselves. I have everything I need, and a vast majority of what I want.

• carol_in_california
    13 years ago

I think I would rather get cash so I could spend it where I want....the American Express cards or Visa gift cards are OK but my friend had difficulty using her American Express card at many places.
    My sister sends me live plants every year for my birthday....spending lots of money going through FTD.
    I keep telling her just to call me or come visit or just send a card because it is so costly for her. I usually can find the plants in our area for less than $20 and she spends 3-4 times that.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Personally, I prefer cash. But some feel that's "impersonal". Gift cards are the modern version of the gift certificate or the trendy "check" (or "cheque" to my Canuck-lehead friends) being given as a gift.

My gift shopping used to always include a stop at the liquor store for at least one person on the list. I knew that wasn't going to go to waste. A friend used to always give his grandmother a small ham for Christmas because she'd never buy it for herself. Some would be appalled, nay, even insulted if someone gave them grocery stoe food! It needs to be in little jars, in a box, flavors nobody likes, won't eat, and will be given away or thrown away! LOL

I'm really bothered when someone says cash is a bad gift, impersonal or whatever. Doesn't anyone get tired of getting trinkets that someone else thinks is cute and you find abhorrent? But somehow that's a better gift than giving someone cash so they can put it toward their electric bill on a month they're a little short, or go to a movie, or put gas in the car to get to work, or put toward the heat bill or into a (heaven forbid) savings account or get the car repaired house reroofed or whatever else.

What troubles me is there used to be a saying that it's the thought that counts. I buy someone a gift, it's thoughtful, right? They hate it so they return it or leave it on a shelf or whatever. But that's more thoughtful or personal than cash? I don't think so. If someone is considerate enough to give me cash and trust that I'll make a good decision on what to do with it, that, to me, is thoughtful.

Our western society is so hung up on materialism. It's the gift not the thought. We have to spend more on that wedding gift than the Jones' spent or we'll look bad. Doesn't matter what the gift is.

I could go on and on but won't. Consider that your Christmas present! :D This time of year often brings out the best, but also the worst in people. Lots of generosity at times, but also greed, selfishness, self-centered thoughts and after all, Christmas is about giving and receiving gifts right? There was a religious event that some people used to get into! :D

I'll give you an example of why I don't like gift cards in place of cash. I had my oil changed last summer for about $17. I used a coupon and had it done. Hard for me to do that stuff anymore. :( I got an award from work - a $25 gift card of my choice. I don't shop at Macy's. I don't go on cruises. (I would have appreciated a gift card for the cruise though...) I don't have Staples in the state, much less nearby. There were 2 things I could see myself using. An oil change place or Amazon. I was going to go with Amazon but decided I'd need an oil change before leaving town for a trip so that could be OK. It'd pay for most of the oil change right? Not after it being a $65 oil change! LOL I got another card choice, same thing. I took a restaurant card but now wish I'd gone Amazon. Not sure when I'll get to the restaurant, but not totally sure what I want from Amazon either. Had a voicemail that I have another gift card coming from work. (I must really have them fooled, eh?) If they had options for Home Depot, Lowe's, Menards, gasoline stations, or a prepaid credit card would be preferred.

Keep in mind that the designation is important. They bank on people losing them or not using them. Extra profit, not unlike the post office selling stamps that don't get used. That's pure profit. And companies often get a discount so it appears to be more.

But it could be worse. I remember when giving a turkey was often a Christmas bonus. Not everyone can use a 15# turkey. Some, a 15# isn't enough anyway. LOL How many people can't use cash?

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

I'd much rather receive a gift card to Amazon than almost any other gift. I especially like receiving gift cards from those people in my life who aren't very good gift choosers.

• joyfulguy
    13 years ago

As a creditable alternative ... chocolate ... or a number of kinds of candy, for that matter ... is always nice.

o j

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

Now OJ not all of us are big fans of candy! Since I don't get money for Christmas, those gift cards are great and I don't let them set around in my purse either :)

Sue

• enjoyingspring
    13 years ago

To me it is just exchanging money, so what is the point.

I don't like them.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I have no problem receiving or giving gift cards for a present.

It takes a lot of effort--a LOT of effort--to pick out the perfect present that when the recipient opens it he/she gets that overjoyed look. Many times the reality doesn't meet the anticipation, and both of you are disappointed. Then the other person has to go return the gift because it's just a plain old "miss."

It also takes some effort to find the right store for a gift card, but less so.

If someone knows my tastes, he'll know from where to get a gift card, and that's good enough for me. I am way too picky about clothes, and I have modern/contemporary tastes in home furnishings (so my "traditional" friends are just out of their comfort zone figuring out what I'd like). I'd much rather get, say, an Amazon card than have the person try to decide which boxed DVD set I might like.

If they get to the point where they choose one of my favorite stores (and figuring out what I might need rather than something that's nice but will just collect dust), that's half the battle and they know I'll be happy. So I don't think it's an impersonal gift or a last-minute quickie when you don't want to put in the time.

Then we can go out for the afternoon, have lunch and shop away with our gift cards!

• samkaren
    13 years ago

LOVE THEM!

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

Expressed right here on this thread is why I don't like them......They are impersonal....for buyer and recipient. Recipient who wants cards assumes you can't possibly please them so give me card or money and let me shop..giver doesn't want to take the time of effort to do any real thinking about what to give......

I've heard all the arguments against what I just said but I still believe it to be true.

In the old giving days, people enjoyed the process of shopping or making a gift especially for a person and that was the enjoyment of gift giving..to be able to please someone you love. Truthfully if someone gives me something I don't like, they would never know it.......It's called common courtesy...but I can think of only one gift over a life time that I was disappointed in.

I gave our grands gift cards once, when I was just out of lung cancer surgery but I think it's taking the easy way out. It doesn't take a lot of thought to figure out something people you love and care about would like or enjoy. Two of my grandsons are in college and they are getting guess what.....A shopping bag with all kinds of goodies that they can take to their dorm/apts to munch on. I'm not talking about homemade cookies although I may add those too, but I'm talking about a bag full of nuts, string cheese, pretzel's, bagel chips, dip etc etc etc.I can't even remember what all I bought them...Oh summer sausage and crackers, and beef jerky....These are two guys that eat all the time when they are at home and complain about starving living in the dorm....I could give them a gift card for subway or one of the burger places, but I suggest to you that they will like their goody bags way better than a burger card.......They'll do their burgers at meal time and the goody bad is for when they are stuck in the dorm studying and I have no doubt that they will love them.......