SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_unruh

help me troubleshoot my heater please please

Sharon Unruh
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

old rheem unit on roof. a/c works although have to turn off manually as in thermostat setting doesn't. fan blower in the on position comes on in a/c or heater position. turned on heater and all of sudden literally 1 week later all of sudden came on. lasted 1 day. day before yesterday heater again came on, got to the point it was so hot in house but was afraid to turn off. left house came back and it had shut itself off again. 43 in my house right now .i have the old mercury type thermostat. this probably sounds crazy but heater seems to kick on when its sunny and warmer outside. I would appreciate any input or info. im a senior citizen on fixed income and don't know where to start. if it sounds like thermostat problem I will buy one but hate to buy one and not be the problem. it is literally warmer outside, old house plaster walls. when I move the temp switch back and forth on thermostat I do see the mercury make that kinda spark thing and can hear the clink sound on the unit on roof but its just not coming on-only when it decides to- which is not often. I hope this is enough info for someone with knowledge to figure it out. seems all I can is info relating to blower problems, but fan blower is working in on position. can you help me please?

Comments (2)