SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste_gw

Keeping costs down but want quality in basement bath shower--ideas??

needinfo1
8 years ago

We are completely gutting and re-doing the basement in our 100-year-old house in an upscale neighborhood. Originally we were just going to leave the 25-year-old bath alone other than putting in a new vanity. Now, for a number of reasons, we have decided to gut the entire bathroom too. Our plans for the rest of the basement call for quality materials and a simple look that will be in keeping with the quality of the rest of the house. I want the bath to also be nice but want to keep prices down. I've found a great Ikea vanity and sink combo that will work well in our small space. The only tiling will be on the floor and in the shower; walls will be painted.

An issue we have is that we plan to leave the bathroom in the same place as it currently is so as to minimize plumbing costs. The bathroom footprint is very small, and it has to stay that way because of other structural and layout issues in our basement. We can fudge a couple inches here and there, but that is all the flexibility we have.

The shower is what I want some suggestions about. Our biggest problem in trying to keep costs down is that we need to work around a major support post right in the corner of the shower. We know this concept of having the post in the corner of the shower stall functions well because that is the way it is now.

Our contractor has suggested a shower with two glass walls so we will have a more open feel and will save floor space. When I look online for these sorts of showers, it seem they all come with their own standard pan. We will need a custom pan. Then, I read about the quotes people get for glass for custom installations. They sound absolutely astronomical to me, and there is no way I want to pay that for a bathroom in a basement (nice as we think the basement will turn out to be).

Do you have any suggestions for me as to how to keep costs down for doing the shower? We are still in the planning stages and won't start demo for another month. Thanks much.

Comments (5)