SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mynovahome

Moving washer/dryer from basement to 2nd floor master bath?

mynovahome
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Our laundry room is in the basement of our 2 story colonial with all the bedrooms upstairs. It is SUCH a pain to haul laundry for a young family of 4 up and down 2 flights of stairs.

We also have a large garden tub in our master which we never use and takes up a ton of space. We have long wanted to replace the tub with a large shower/bench and it occurred to me that we could replace the shower with a stacked washer/dryer. It seems like the space would look very symmetrical (see my very rough sketch).

I'm hoping this wouldn't be astronomically expensive to do as hopefully the plumbing would not be THAT complicated and we wouldn't be knocking out walls, etc.

We do have another tub upstairs in the hallway (kids) bathroom. And I think we'd likely also keep the laundry room in the basement should future owners prefer that. We do plan on being here for another 15-20 years so resell isn't a huge concern. Plus it seems like it would be easy to convert the new washer/dryer closet into a linen closet if preferred.

Any reasons why this isn't a decent plan?? There really isn't another good place to put a washer/dryer upstairs (without losing a bedroom) and we aren't looking to spend a fortune.

Comments (13)