SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

Christmas Family Drama

MagdalenaLee
8 years ago

I need some perspective.

I have an alcoholic brother. He goes from drunk to sober pretty frequently. My mom, sister and me have spent a great deal of time and money on him and we are all tapped out. His latest bought of sobriety lasted a record setting two years.

He called me about a month ago at 9:30 Sunday evening. I knew it was bad and became very anxious just seeing his name on caller ID. Then I heard his drunken message which caused even more anxiety. Then I called him back. He said he was having sex with a woman the last two nights and they got in a fight and she said she was going to call the cops and report him for raping her. He said it was consensual, and I believe him. From previous experience I know exactly what happened: He hooked up with his type, a crazy woman, and they had a weekend bender that ended in a hungover anxiety fueled fight.

Anyway, I told him he knows the rule, I don't speak to him drunk - for any reason. Sober up and call me back in the morning. Of course, he never did. So I sent him an email that said he's not allowed to see me or call me anymore unless he first replies to this email saying he has a sponsor and is going to meetings. Until that time, I'm blocking your phone number.

I made my mom and sister aware of my feelings and they seemed to agree. DH is super angry with my brother because it really does cause me a lot of stress. Also, DH is an alcoholic and understand my brother's circumstances better than anyone.

About the girl: Based on what my mom said, nothing ever came of that. Cops never showed up and the woman left and he hasn't seen her since.

So, here we are at Thanksgiving. Mom decides to go to my sister's in NJ for the holiday and tells my sister that she is very upset with me for not inviting my brother to my house on Thanksgiving. She would never tell me this directly. He's still not allowed into my life unless he's actively trying to be sober again. PERIOD. No holiday exceptions.

Christmas is coming up and our plan is to have Christmas on New Year's day at my house because that's when my sister and nephew can be here. I can tell my sister wants my brother here but she's not saying.

I said, instead of having Christmas at my house, you can have it at Mom's and that way my brother can go but I won't be there. Now it's an untenable situation. It's either him or me and even if I do relent and go to Mom's house, DH may not go because he's still very angry with my brother. And now my sister says if it's going to be a mess she's going to cancel their tickets and not come at all.

I want to stick to my guns because I'm not an enabler. I know there are different schools of thought as to what constitutes as enabling - I would prefer to not discuss that because my position is firm in that regard. Pretending everything is hunky dory and exchanging gifts with a person that might leave that very evening, go to a bar get drunk then drive home and kill someone is something that makes me sick just thinking about it.

So, if you are kindly still reading, what would you do? I am so torn.

Comments (33)