SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephia_wa

Family drama during the holidays

sephia_wa
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Does anyone else experience family drama during the holidays? I am! I don't typically engage in the family drama, but this year is different. I have an older estranged sister, and I don't know what or if I have done something in the past to cause her to avoid me. After our mom passed away 12 years ago, she stopped communicating with me. She would never tell me what the problem was. She's told her children (my nieces and nephews) that I'm not welcome in her home. She's avoided Christmas's where I'm going to be attending. Now, one of her children (my niece), has moved about a little more than an hour away. Today my sister called me, and asked for a ride there. I hadn't responded to her phone call, so she texted me, asking for a ride. I replied via text, and told her, very nicely, that I didn't know what the rift between us is about, that I know she's told other family members that I'm not welcome in her home, she's avoided other holiday gatherings where I would be attending, etc. She just replied "that was rude as usual. Forget it. I just won't go. Same ole Linda."
So I'm glad she's not going, and I'm glad I told her how I felt. It's still bewildering to not know what her problem with me is.

She has withdrawn from our other sister as well, with no explanation. The other sister and I don't know what we've done, if anything.

Comments (32)